The Org Redesign - Functions - Improving the Upload Process

Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
Org Profile

Re: The Org Redesign - Functions - Improving the Upload Process

Post by Nya-chan Production » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:38 pm

LittleAtari wrote:
Nya-chan Production wrote:So because people can't select a file from their system and copypaste a text we provide them we have to conform to non-standard solutions?
No it is because people dont feel like having to download a WHOLE other program to upload a video using a method that they don't have to use on other video sites they visit. Please guys, don't try to act like an upload system were you press a button, browse for the file, select it is not a standard SOMEWHERE in the world. I mean go to a college campus and ask all the students about FTP even with in the media and technical schools and more than half of them probably wont be able to tell you enough about them. I can't tell you how many times I've wanted to use FTP for a school collaboration project and no body knows what the heck it is. THAT is the generation we are faced with today. These are the same kids uploading the videos to sites like youtube. The fact is, being able to use an upload system similar to youtube is a lot simpler and puts a lot less strain and work on the user side.

EDIT: I've walked new editors through the upload system of the Org. That's when I've realized just how much of a pain it is. I was so used to the system, but the fact that people have to be TAUGHT how to upload says that something is wrong there.
You know you can upload it via Windows Explorer, right?
Btw, learning this should be the basics on the internet. If you don't know how to upload you should learn it.

And one more thing about easiness and standards - why not make the site completely in Flash? It's easy and it's colourful and it's nice. Of course it's not standard and if it doesn't load it doesn't load complete, but whatever ;x

LittleAtari
Call Me Moneybagz
Org Profile

Post by LittleAtari » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:44 pm

Nya-chan Production wrote: Btw, learning this should be the basics on the internet. If you don't know how to upload you should learn it.
Why should it be the basics whenever I go to upload something on the internet, be it for school, facebook, youtube, or photobucket, I have never seen FTP. The only site that I upload files to that forces FTP on its users is the Org. O wait, I just thought of one site where I could use FTP, it was when I was making a website for my webdesign class back in highschool and actually, it was still an option there and not mandatory. I was still allowed to upload individual HTML files, which at the time, i think i ended up doing because my teacher didn't teach us how to use FTP in our INTERNET class.

EDIT: Looking back on that HTML class project, yes it wasnt efficient to not use FTP, but point is: you didnt even need FTP to make a website.

EDIT 2: To make it clear, being a part of this site for around 6 years (previous account included). I wont being using FTP for most of my uploads if the Org makes the upload process similar to YouTube. It's just faster for me than to have to enter a video, request FTP, grab link, open Filezilla, Drop file in, and confirm upload.
Last edited by LittleAtari on Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:49 pm

I'll agree that it acts as a filter and will stand by that not being a bad thing. As a contest coordinator who uses an FTP upload mechanism for submissions (as just about every reputable contest does), I've noticed a pretty strong correlation between the people that are unable or unwilling to learn how to use FTP and their seeming inability or unwillingness to learn how to use other pieces of software, like, for instance, a DVD ripper, tools to clean their footage, or their editing software in general. Several other people that run fairly large contests have admitted (to me) having noticed the same correlation when asked.
Last edited by BasharOfTheAges on Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Nya-chan Production
Org Profile

Post by Nya-chan Production » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:53 pm

LittleAtari wrote:because my teacher didn't teach us how to use FTP in our INTERNET class.

EDIT: Looking back on that HTML class project, yes it wasnt efficient to not use FTP, but point is: you didnt even need FTP to make a website.
I think your teacher fails, if he does FTP for you - you can't do literally anything considering web sites and uploads without it. Heck I have at least three things that can do FTP on my PC (FileZilla, pwolFTP, Total Commander) and I know of a few sites that I can upload FTP with which are web-based.

LittleAtari
Call Me Moneybagz
Org Profile

Post by LittleAtari » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:53 pm

BasharOfTheAges wrote:I'll agree that it acts as a filter and will stand by that not being a bad thing. As a contest coordinator who uses an FTP upload mechanism for submissions (as just about every reputable contest does), I've noticed a pretty strong correlation between the people that are unable or unwilling to learn how to use FTP and their seeming inability or unwillingness to lean how to use other pieces of software, like their editing software. Several other people that run fairly large contests have admitted (to me) having noticed the same correlation when asked.
Yep and that the point, we shouldnt be filtering WHO uploads here because we have some standard of quality here. I dont believe in the Org's videos being of a superior quality to the Youtube community. I've actually watched way more AMVs on Youtube this Year than on the Org. I know that for a fact. I like a lot of the videos I see and honestly, I'm not sure if we should put someone down for being frustrated with FTP and thinking it's stupid if they've never seen it before. They don't understand it and are never forced to deal with it. For now, the Cons can do their own thing, but we're the Org.
Nya-chan Production wrote:
LittleAtari wrote:because my teacher didn't teach us how to use FTP in our INTERNET class.

I think your teacher fails, if he does FTP for you - you can't do literally anything considering web sites and uploads without it. Heck I have at least three things that can do FTP on my PC (FileZilla, pwolFTP, Total Commander) and I know of a few sites that I can upload FTP with which are web-based.
Do you want me to name for you how many programs are out there that all meant to do the same task? Do you really need three FTP clients? It doesnt matter how widely available the clients are. It matters how often you have to use them.

Also, besides the Org, name the sites that you use FTP on and for what use.

Also, I learned a lot from my HTML class, thank you. I learned HTML in it, not FTP. Granted, it would've been nice to know, but when the students final is to just get a 5 page website up on the nets, it's not all that necessary. For me, it was a big deal because i had like 20+ pages with God knows how many images :cry:
Last edited by LittleAtari on Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:57 pm

You're entitled to your opinion, but I respectfully disagree. It's a bar, but it's a pretty low one.

Think of it as an 'are you capable of using google' style catchpa.
Last edited by BasharOfTheAges on Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
| | |

LittleAtari
Call Me Moneybagz
Org Profile

Post by LittleAtari » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:59 pm

BasharOfTheAges wrote:You're entitled to your opinion, but I respectfully disagree. It's a bar, but it's a pretty low one.
cool

Arigatomina
Org Profile

Post by Arigatomina » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:03 pm

LittleAtari wrote:...no body knows what the heck it is. THAT is the generation we are faced with today.
This should be repeated over and over in every one of these improvement threads. If we're targetting this generation, we have to accept the fact that they're different from us. If we want them to come to us, we have to conform to them - not the other way around. It's this "let them learn if they want in" attitude that keeps them out. If you want to stick with that attitude, then there's no point inviting them in. This is like listening to old people lecture kids about how handwritten letters are better than emails and text messages, and then they complain that the kids don't keep in touch with them anymore. I wonder why. :roll:

Just to second the point LittleAtari is making here, I've also encountered the "what's FTP??" problem. My other hobby involves transferring large files and the people I'm talking to would rather send them by email, one 10mb attachment per email, for 10+ emails, than try to learn this mysterious and complicated FTP thing. These are people who consider megaupload too difficult to use. Think about that for a minute. It's embarrassing and frustrating, but that's the trend the net is moving toward and you have to accept that. If you really want what these people have to offer (their amvs), then you'll have to take it however they're willing to get it to you. That means easy and simple and no outside programs or guides.

If you aren't willing to cater to them, that's fine. Say so and we can stop pretending we're willing to lower our requirements in order to get them back into the org fold.

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:11 pm

@Arigatomina - as a technical hobby, there's every right for us to have a bare minimum of technical understanding to get shit done, no? I mean, hell... these people need to be able to use pretty complicated editing software and DVD rippers and whatnot. I argue, suffering the fools is as sure of a path to demise than accepting them as they are. They certainly can't survive actually participating in the hobby without some degree of desire or at least willingness to learn. The inability to search for a simple answer to a question on google should raise some red flags somewhere, shouldn't it? At some point it becomes unfair to them to not send the wake up call.
| | |

Nya-chan Production
Org Profile

Post by Nya-chan Production » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:19 pm

LittleAtari wrote:
Nya-chan Production wrote:

Do you want me to name for you how many programs are out there that all meant to do the same task? Do you really need three FTP clients? It doesnt matter how widely available the clients are. It matters how often you have to use them.

Also, besides the Org, name the sites that you use FTP on and for what use.

Also, I learned a lot from my HTML class, thank you. I learned HTML in it, not FTP. Granted, it would've been nice to know, but when the students final is to just get a 5 page website up on the nets, it's not all that necessary. For me, it was a big deal because i had like 20+ pages with God knows how many images :cry:
1) No, I don't - I need only two, because FileZilla has nicer SSH and Total Commander has file browsing. pwolFTP I have for testing reasons, but for a newbie on org it would be the easiest solution. I use FTP or similar things about weekly, if not more - mainly for developing sites.

2) This is more personal, so we should cut it out, but let me ask you two things - if you wrote a HTML page now and you wouldn't know about FTP, what would you do? Look at the nice HTML code in your PC? And number of pages and images isn't really telling anything, advanced programmers can write you a short code that will generate you countless pages with pictures (think danbooru system without tags). The problem here is standard, so I should rather ask whether your pages were W3C compliant and whether they showed correctly on most browsers. In bussiness I would also ask about SEO.

For point 2 I'd welcome an answer in the PM rather than here ^^

Return to “Org Redesign”