The Org Redesign - New Features and/or Function...

godix
a disturbed member
Org Profile

Re: The Org Redesign - New Features and/or Function...

Post by godix » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:50 pm

BasharOfTheAges wrote:That is great... The cynic in me realizes that for everyone that takes it seriously, there's another 9 that pull it all the way to the right for every vid they fangasm over.
That kinda makes me wonder, should the ratings be weighted based on the average given score of the person rating? Getting a 10 rating from someone who usually gives 5 or 6's probably means a lot more than a 10 from someone who always gives 10's.

MycathatesyouAMV
Based Dicknugget
Org Profile

Post by MycathatesyouAMV » Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:07 pm

I think contests created by the org themselves would be a nice idea. The top percent videos, the way they are set-ups and stuff could be changed. Also a way to comment on people's pages and stuff, and customize youre own page better.
Discord: MycathatesyouAMV#5994

MycathatesyouAMV
Based Dicknugget
Org Profile

Post by MycathatesyouAMV » Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:09 pm

Also, the effort and quality scores I dont think should affect the videos average score on the top 10 percent list.
Discord: MycathatesyouAMV#5994

Qyot27
Surreptitious fluffy bunny
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:58 am

BasharOfTheAges wrote:That is great... The cynic in me realizes that for everyone that takes it seriously, there's another 9 that pull it all the way to the right for every vid they fangasm over.
Some things never change. I'd be willing to bet the same problem exists with the current system anyway, as the upper limit drifting has been noted with both opinions and star ratings - most videos fall in the 5-10 region on opinions, or 3-5 area on stars, because of anti-low-rating impulses (although there could be something of a selection bias going on - people have enough foreknowledge to download videos they know they'll like ahead of time, and thus don't give out lower ratings unless their expectations were way off base).
My profile on MyAnimeList | Quasistatic Regret: yeah, yeah, I finally got a blog

Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
Org Profile

Post by Nya-chan Production » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:15 am

godix wrote:
That kinda makes me wonder, should the ratings be weighted based on the average given score of the person rating? Getting a 10 rating from someone who usually gives 5 or 6's probably means a lot more than a 10 from someone who always gives 10's.
That's actually a pretty great idea for an overall rating ;x I know I have seen systems like that, will try to dig those out.

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:20 am

Corran wrote:Regarding rating systems, I like this one that Doki noted last year.

http://blog.steepster.com/post/22667910 ... ing-system
This rating system shows you the last few ratings you have given.
I think that for amvs, seeing the last few ratings you gave wouldn't be very useful.
But I think it WOULD be useful if it shows you your overall average rating. Would be really cool :)

Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
Org Profile

Post by Nya-chan Production » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:27 am

Zarxrax wrote:
Corran wrote:Regarding rating systems, I like this one that Doki noted last year.

I think that for amvs, seeing the last few ratings you gave wouldn't be very useful.
But I think it WOULD be useful if it shows you your overall average rating. Would be really cool :)
Some videos on the timeline would be still nice - it lets you compare easily. Maybe at least the best/the worst/average (and maybe one to three other halvings)

Corran
Org Profile

Post by Corran » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:31 am

Zarxrax wrote:

Perhaps you could display both. In the blog post they note that when you hover over the ticks they show what tea you gave that rating. This allows for comparison rating. i.e. "This video is definitely better/worse than this previous video I rated... I should therefore rate it higher/lower than that."

Ikore
Org Profile

Post by Ikore » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:44 pm

the star rate system is kinda obsolete and like the whole amv fan world, easily influenced... you only need the picture of the little kid given all of the Soul Eater, Bleah, Naruto or Shougo Chara amv a 5, just because it has that anime... is so damn unuseful that actually it have been replace for "I Like", thanks facebook! , and It is really not given any real feedback, there neither an option in search to filter by star rate, Im actually filter by mp4 or .avi (no mkv yet :uhoh: ) and download available to get a good video, I remember a long long time ago there was a place with the list of the highest rated amv, I cant remember how to find it again, but it only showed really old jobs with A LOT of views, not even work to search for a good evaluated recent vid :/

amv spotlight: I really would like to know if there is a way to set an "already watched" so it would stop showing the same video over and over again, srly I already know the work of Nostromo Dx, well this is a great feature that can be upgraded...
SING! Never mind the words!!!

leptogenesis
Org Profile

Post by leptogenesis » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:28 pm

Nya-chan Production wrote:
godix wrote:
That's actually a pretty great idea for an overall rating ;x I know I have seen systems like that, will try to dig those out.
Ok, I'm going to show my statistics nerdiness here...ridge regression is probably the most widely-accepted solution for this situation. The only problem is that it isn't easy to explain exactly what the resulting star 'scores' mean, although I doubt that most .org users understand what the current 'bayesian' estimate is, anyway.
Ikore wrote:the star rate system is kinda obsolete and like the whole amv fan world, easily influenced... you only need the picture of the little kid given all of the Soul Eater, Bleah, Naruto or Shougo Chara amv a 5, just because it has that anime... is so damn unuseful that actually it have been replace for "I Like", thanks facebook! , and It is really not given any real feedback, there neither an option in search to filter by star rate, Im actually filter by mp4 or .avi (no mkv yet :uhoh: ) and download available to get a good video, I remember a long long time ago there was a place with the list of the highest rated amv, I cant remember how to find it again, but it only showed really old jobs with A LOT of views, not even work to search for a good evaluated recent vid :/
From the standpoint of developing a good recommender system, I disagree. It's certainly can be a problem the way ratings are handled at the moment, but it's not hard at all for a recommender system to recognize that you're different from the people who rate that way. I think it's a bit too strong to say that star ratings are useless--star ratings carry much more information about a user's preferences than a simple like/dislike for the users who take ratings seriously. Netflix still uses star ratings, and I would argue that the .org is much more similar to netflix than it is to youtube, since the org's content is relatively homogeneous.
If we change the format of the ratings, we need to be careful that people will keep rating on the same scale. Doing the simple conversion from a 5 to a 10 point scale, where we say that 1/10 is equal to 1/5 and 5/5 is equal to a 10/10, a 2/5 actually maps to a 3.25/10. My wild guess is that people would give a 2/5 much more often than they would give a 3/10, in which case there would be no way to integrate old ratings into the new star scale.

Return to “Org Redesign”