The Org Redesign - What's wrong with the org?

Re: The Org Redesign - What's wrong with the org?

Postby Fall_Child42 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:00 pm

Pwolf wrote:
Knowname wrote:First reason I do not like the chatroom: We had an org comic back than based on the OT forum, it was great! I'd like to see that come out of the chatroom! It can't. or most likely won't. because chat convos are instant. boom their done. you don't have x hours between posts, you won't get this type of creativity. I will include our recent .org comic, well it's really based on the donator's forum but.

We did have something like that...

yeah I actually found a couple of the old ones I made.
Comics about my #AMV? it's more likely than you'd think.

There were plenty more but I can't find them.
Fall_Child42
has a rock

Postby Knowname » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:06 pm

Nya-chan Production wrote:Connecting the chat and the comic isn't really going to work...

yeah I know, I was just writing stuff off the top of my head. Point is, both are basicaly the SAME creative outlet, I don't see what you can't do on the forum that you can do in chat... other than... chat (instantaneous replies).
Nya-chan Production wrote:... okay, if you can't ignore a line from someone, then it's YOUR problem, not the chatroom's. You were just not born to chat with other people. We all had Hacchin's rants in the channel, Kio can be obnoxious at times, godix has sexist remarks... and?
Take it easier, man.

I do, and I don't go into chatrooms. HASTEROTH was the one I was thinking of, thankyou. The community treated Hasteroth MUCH more poorly than OtakuGray... and why? both were just as annoying at one time, the only difference is Hasteroth chatted. his chatting made him SO annoying NOONE could ignore him! I don't think I'm the only one who 'can't ignore one line', it's a human reaction. Nobody likes spam. Nobody likes to put anybody on TOTAL ignore.

Nya-chan Production wrote: 'lo and behold, there IS something better than IRC.

Meeting in real life, chatting in real life

I got an lol out of this :D irl>irc :)
If you do not think so... you will DIE
Knowname

Postby Arigatomina » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:35 pm

Pwolf wrote:Most of the people in the chatroom today are donators and have access to the existing OT forum already.

See, that's like Nya-chan's fun fact. Most of the active people on the forum today are donators, right? They're the ones active everywhere. They're the org core. They *are* the org. We could destroy the main page and the database and we'd still have that core of donators, the lifers, regulars, hanging around the forum or the chatroom, sharing vids or just talking with friends they made years ago. I don't think any of the proposed changes will have a serious impact on the donators. I think they're fine, intact, and will remain that way indefinitely.

When I was connecting OT to the chatroom, I was looking at the people who've drifted away, the ones who are still hanging around but keeping their distance, the ones who may join tomorrow and never come closer than the main page. They won't become regulars, donators, lifers, unless we can draw them into the community. I think advertising the OT potential of the chatroom, or creating a free OT part of the forum, would help members make friends with other members. And then they'll donate regularly for the same reasons most of us do - this is where the friendly faces are.

Besides, to be honest I find the donator forum a little dull and feel sorry for anyone who donates *just* to get access to that section. Some people think wild orgies go on down there or something. It's false advertising at its cruelest. ^^;

[Sorry for taking a beta section request and turning it into an argument in favor of more OT discussion between org members. It just sort of happened...]
Arigatomina

Postby Pwolf » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:44 pm

Arigatomina wrote:When I was connecting OT to the chatroom, I was looking at the people who've drifted away, the ones who are still hanging around but keeping their distance, the ones who may join tomorrow and never come closer than the main page. They won't become regulars, donators, lifers, unless we can draw them into the community. I think advertising the OT potential of the chatroom, or creating a free OT part of the forum, would help members make friends with other members. And then they'll donate regularly for the same reasons most of us do - this is where the friendly faces are.

Yea, i see what you mean. Which is one reason I would like to have a public OT forum since I don't really see the donantor forum as much of an incentive to donate, but i think that's just me not using it often.
ImageImage
ImageImage
Like the AMV .Org App? Think about donating to help me make it better.
Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle

Postby BasharOfTheAges » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:12 pm

Knowname wrote:
Nya-chan Production wrote:... okay, if you can't ignore a line from someone, then it's YOUR problem, not the chatroom's. You were just not born to chat with other people. We all had Hacchin's rants in the channel, Kio can be obnoxious at times, godix has sexist remarks... and?
Take it easier, man.

I do, and I don't go into chatrooms. HASTEROTH was the one I was thinking of, thankyou. The community treated Hasteroth MUCH more poorly than OtakuGray... and why? both were just as annoying at one time, the only difference is Hasteroth chatted. his chatting made him SO annoying NOONE could ignore him! I don't think I'm the only one who 'can't ignore one line', it's a human reaction. Nobody likes spam. Nobody likes to put anybody on TOTAL ignore.

Why not? It's a pretty simple thing. /ignore <name>
BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?

Postby OtakuGray » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:40 pm

So...why do people hate me? o_O

Other than ofc the obvious heart warming /ragequit moment (altho im sure im not the only one who has ragequit on org)
godix wrote:Like this one amv. It was all like woosh, zoom with effects. And I was all like whoa awesome. Then that guitar thingies popped up and went dun dun DUN dun then those box thingies went zooming by and twirling around and shit. Oh god, then the hexagons popped up and I was like 'I just got a stiffie'. Then there was the circle with those thingies going around and I blew my load.

OtakuGray
I understoop!

Postby Pwolf » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:56 pm

I dunno why knowname hates you... what did you do?
ImageImage
ImageImage
Pwolf

Postby Pwolf » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:57 pm

Pwolf wrote:I dunno why knowname hates you... what did you do?

I think he hates everyone D:
ImageImage
ImageImage
Pwolf

Postby OtakuGray » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:08 pm

Pwolf wrote:

lol oh well thats okay then. :up:
godix wrote:Like this one amv. It was all like woosh, zoom with effects. And I was all like whoa awesome. Then that guitar thingies popped up and went dun dun DUN dun then those box thingies went zooming by and twirling around and shit. Oh god, then the hexagons popped up and I was like 'I just got a stiffie'. Then there was the circle with those thingies going around and I blew my load.

OtakuGray
I understoop!

Postby Enigma » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:15 pm

Pwolf wrote:

He don' hate on ol' Soupie.
Enigma
That jolly ol' bastid

Postby ngsilver » Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:34 am

Corran wrote:RE: IRC Chat
I would really like to see an IRC bot that logged the chats to the org's database. Then users could perform fulltext searches of the logs and read the recent conversations online at their leisure. The org could also include the last ten lines or so on the member's main page with a link to join in on the discussion via the synirc web interface. You could also do the same with recent forum posts.

I think this would go well with Zarxrax's tabbed members main mockup: viewtopic.php?p=1352633#p1352633 (He already has a tab for forum posts)

Additionally, perhaps such an IRC bot could perform org related utilities, such as providing information similar to the vidid bbcode on the forum.

I would be willing to provide my logs from the last 5 or so years to assist in starting such an archive actually. It's not entirely complete as from time to time I would be out of the chatroom either working on my PC or at a con, but it is pretty extensive. The same goes for #amv-review and #superic.

The only issue I would have with the bot posting the last 10 lines or so to the main page is that we do from time to time have racier convos then we generally allow on the forums. We try to keep things clean but it we tend to be less clean then the forums most of the time. Personally, I don't really care because I think people need to grow up, but I don't know if we want to spout everything without some form of 'censorship'. Someone would have to comb the logs to clean out links and things that get a user banned. It's a great idea really, and I'd love to be able to simply msg the bot a vidid and have it link the info to the chat or stuff like that. If I knew more about coding IRC bots I'd even probably work on something like that.
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ngsilver
The Hookah Guy

Postby Knowname » Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:37 am

That's because you beat me to the hateration.

I hate on anyone with 2 legs... Dr. Dino gets it twice (4 feet!)
If you do not think so... you will DIE
Knowname

Postby OtakuGray » Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:08 am

Knowname wrote:That's because you beat me to the hateration.

I hate on anyone with 2 legs... Dr. Dino gets it twice (4 feet!)

I'm a cloud. i have no legs.

OtakuGray
I understoop!

Postby godix » Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:59 am

I mentioned this early on in one of these threads. I forget which one, so whatever. Revisiting the topic in this thread works just fine.

I, and a few others, suggested the idea of making videos viewable without logging on. I happened to be releasing a video recently, so I did a very minor experiment just to see what would happen. When I uploaded my latest video, I also put a direct link to megaupload for the thing. It's the exact same file, and the description of the direct download says that (specifically, it says "Same as local, just for those who don't wanna log in to download"). It's been about three weeks since then, so I just checked it's download stats. These will be a little skewed because, at my request, there is no preview of the video which drives a lot of views. Anyway, at the moment, it has 101 local downloads and 60 Direct downloads.

Now I realize this is just one video, without a lot of downloads, and with no preview. So it's hard to say much based on this, but still this strikes me as worth noting. When given a choice, roughly 40% choose to deal with megauploads crap rather than logging into the org. Since the two choices are identical files, things aren't skewed by different quality/format versions or some such. Based on this extremely limited data, I think it's pretty clear a significant portion of viewers do not want to log into the org to download/watch.

To be honest, I didn't expect more than a small handful of direct downloads. I mean it's megaupload, which sucks. Although I think the direct counter just tracks how many people clicked it, not if they completed the download. Still, that such a large percentage are direct just makes me believe even more than before that viewers should not have to log in to view/download videos. We'll lose mandatory star ratings and the chance to leave QCs, but I think it'd make the site friendly to casual viewers.
godix
a disturbed member

Postby Qyot27 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:56 am

Aside from pointing out the obvious elephant in the room, I don't really see how the 'IRC is too arcane, just like FTP' argument can fly when IRC (or more precisely, xdcc, which still requires logging into the channel and seeing whatever convos are going on at the time) has experienced a boom over the last couple of years for fansubs because of all of BayTSP's crap discouraging people from using BitTorrent to do it.

Granted, many that are likely to make that argument about IRC probably are not going around using xdcc for their fansub fixes, because they don't care about actually downloading the darn things. But that doesn't mean that familiarity with IRC is anything approaching a lost art the way that FTP is increasingly becoming (note: I prefer using FTP for Local uploads, and remain indifferent on the previous FTP vs. HTTP tangent).
My profile on MyAnimeList | Quasistatic Regret: yeah, yeah, I finally got a blog
Qyot27
Surreptitious fluffy bunny

PreviousNext

Return to Org Redesign