The Org Redesign - What's wrong with the org?

Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
Org Profile

Re: The Org Redesign - What's wrong with the org?

Post by Nya-chan Production » Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:39 pm

Kionon wrote:
In other words - we don't redesign the Org for you,. but for community (or at least we're trying).
Not asking for that. I am asking that we be reasonable and respect all views, including those of conservatives. When I stated we would become a different community, I do not mean would we would grow and change and progress, these are all good things, within reason. I was saying that we would become an entirely different media site, one with community standards and that are not ours, but rather represent a growing trend in disposable content consumerism I thought we stood firmly against.

Yes, we should grow, progress, and ultimately, change, but we must do so without losing ourselves.
I can see only "hardcore" conservative - and that's you. Bring me more of them and I might consider it :>
Discount Menu wrote:Stuff.
Greatly said - spoken like this it's surely possible to take it way more serious and think about it. If you want my opinion (but don't tell anyone ;x ) I am for it.
Pwolf wrote:And to defend the point of these threads, NO ONE'S OPINION SHOULD EVER BE IGNORED! I don't care who it is. If I was an admin of this site i would fire Nya for making the comments he made towards Kio. As a moderator and part of the staff, you should be more open to other's ideas. We are trying to make this site better for the community and ignoring someone's valid opinion isn't forward progress, it's backwards. You don't ignore an opinion you don't like, you discuss it. As Nya said, this is for the community not just the org staff.
That's why I stated that I say it for myself. As an admin I read it and considered it - and for now he's the only one against other people who make constructive proposals and are pretty much happy about the fact that something's moving. So for now I have to say that it's not possible even from the admin point of view.

And yeah, maybe my post was a bit personal and harsh - sorry for that, but seeing the same negativistic thing in the fourth thread annoyed me a bit. I am a human too, after all.

Ikore
Org Profile

Post by Ikore » Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:41 pm

Brad wrote:I think my main concern is getting the site away from NEEDING donations so badly that it ends up becoming a turn-off to new users.
reality about new users, they will be used to watch videos on streaming, I guess only old amvers keep a collection of downloaded videos store in our pc :uhoh: . and 100 mb limitation really incentive to learn encoding and quality methods.
.org is still that copy-bitch free zone, where there is no such an issue with material being deleted, as it could be in any other hosting site :/, speaking the man who already have 4 deleted accounts on yt :up: and actually running 3, 1 of them with 2 strikes :awesome:

I really don´t think donation will set people away, let´s face it other hosting sites are even worst, we should just set it more comfortable.
SING! Never mind the words!!!

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:54 pm

I don't have time to fully respond, Nya, but I am afraid I am neither as "hardcore" as you seem to think I am, and I am also not alone. I'm just harder to ignore. And some of those with my views don't seem to think they will be taken seriously if they comment. You're proving them right.

Again, for anyone who was in #amv last night, you know at least one new member who shares my views. I didn't log the conversation, but I bet one of the other ops did, and can find me the relevant passages...
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

godix
a disturbed member
Org Profile

Post by godix » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:10 pm

Discount Menu wrote:Can my one suggestion be to ignore anything that Kionon says? I think that would help a lot.
x2. If the org was doing great under the 2001 style way things have been going, there wouldn't be complaints of it dying and talk of redesign to begin with. Thus Kio's 'don't change anything' should be discounted since we've tried that, and it doesn't seem to be working that well.
Brad wrote:Do we really need a hosted solution anymore? I mean, in all honesty, if we were to do away with the massive bulk of the server space and bandwidth and have it be purely a catalog for people to plug in links to YouTube or freely available download solutions like MegaUpload or personal hosted space, would we really be losing THAT much?
Yes, we would be losing permanence of videos. Megaupload and other free sites like that are A) annoying as all fuck, even more annoying than the orgs donation page and B) delete stuff if it's been awhile since it was downloaded. The tube is notorious for deleting videos, so much so that if I find a good tube video I use a greasemonkey script to download it onto my computer instead of bookmarking. Odds are it won't be there in a week/month/whatever.

That being said, I have no idea if it'd even help finances. I know we have newish servers. I know we have a fixed bandwidth. I'm not sure cutting down on the videos hosted locally, or removing them entirely, would save money anyway
Last edited by godix on Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CodeZTM
Spin Me Round
Org Profile

Post by CodeZTM » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:14 pm

Well, would it be that difficult to allow comments/QC's to be disabled?

Not everybody wants everything about their videos made public. I don't see anything wrong with helping them out in that manner. WE already have a system that lets us hide videos on our profile, so why not allow people to hide comments. Youtube has that function to disable comments and facebook can let messages be hidden from friends, so I don't see anything wrong with allowing a similar function for QC's and star ratings.

It's somewhat different than what most editors seem to wish to have/want [I personally wish we had a more public/social system], but to each his/her own. |:>

Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:18 pm

Nya-chan Production wrote:
Pwolf wrote:And to defend the point of these threads, NO ONE'S OPINION SHOULD EVER BE IGNORED! I don't care who it is. If I was an admin of this site i would fire Nya for making the comments he made towards Kio. As a moderator and part of the staff, you should be more open to other's ideas. We are trying to make this site better for the community and ignoring someone's valid opinion isn't forward progress, it's backwards. You don't ignore an opinion you don't like, you discuss it. As Nya said, this is for the community not just the org staff.
That's why I stated that I say it for myself. As an admin I read it and considered it - and for now he's the only one against other people who make constructive proposals and are pretty much happy about the fact that something's moving. So for now I have to say that it's not possible even from the admin point of view.

And yeah, maybe my post was a bit personal and harsh - sorry for that, but seeing the same negativistic thing in the fourth thread annoyed me a bit. I am a human too, after all.
I haven't read anything from Kio that suggests he's against anything people are saying. he's just voicing his opinion about what he wants, whats wrong with that? Thats what everyone else is doing. He's just not wanting what everyone else wants. It's a valid opinion and he's not the only one who shares those ideas. Maybe no one has come out and said along the same lines but I can guarantee there's at least one other person in this community who shares his ideas. We don't even know what we want the org to be yet, so how can there be forward progress and growth? If the org staff wants to figure that out for us, by all means, go ahead, but don't act like this is a community effort and slam down someone else's idea of what forward and backward progress is because he's not agreeing with your idea of what that is.

back on topic... everyone, don't even think about what's possible or what isn't possible or how difficult it would be to make. This time is for sharing ideas. When it comes time to put it all together i'm sure we can figure it out.

inthesto
Beef Basket
Org Profile

Post by inthesto » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:23 pm

Pwolf wrote: everyone, don't even think about what's possible or what isn't possible or how difficult it would be to make. This time is for sharing ideas. When it comes time to put it all together i'm sure we can figure it out.
In that case I want a blowjob from a unicorn.
Sukunai, Real Canadian Hero wrote:Note to any Muslims present. Abuse a female in my presence, and you are being sent to a hospital emergency ward with life threatening injuries. And no human law will make me change my mind.

Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:24 pm

Discount Menu wrote:
Pwolf wrote: everyone, don't even think about what's possible or what isn't possible or how difficult it would be to make. This time is for sharing ideas. When it comes time to put it all together i'm sure we can figure it out.
In that case I want a blowjob from a unicorn.
i'm sure we can figure out how to make that happen...

CodeZTM
Spin Me Round
Org Profile

Post by CodeZTM » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:28 pm

A section to schedule streaming video editing or tips/tricks? Ustream is a nice tool for that.

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:15 pm

CodeZTM wrote:A section to schedule streaming video editing or tips/tricks? Ustream is a nice tool for that.
Nice idea but that it more a content thing than a site design decision. People could start doing that right now, and mention it from the forum if they want to. The problem with actually making it a section of the site, is you do that and then no one provides the content... then you've got a useless section on the site.

Return to “Org Redesign”