[Miyazaki and Ghibli]

timedalice
Org Profile

[Miyazaki and Ghibli]

Post by timedalice » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:04 am

I'd like to suggest a discussion on what are considered the "real" Miyazaki films. I.E. are dubbed 'Miyazaki films' anything by Studio Ghibli? What about creations by his son?
While almost everyone will agree to the list of Spirited Away, Kikki's Delivery Service, Laputa: Castle in the Sky, and others he's directed for, what about those he's only story-boarded for? Whisper of the Heart? Pom Poko?
Is The Cat Returns considered a Miyazaki film by popular belief?
I'd like to see what other member's perceptions are on this specific sub sect of anime film genre.

[MOD258: Was more of a General Anime discussion so I split the post here from the Anime Series Discussion's Request Thread. Sorry for the lame title, but wasn't able to figure anything better. :P ]
"I have an idea. An idea so big my head would explode if I even began to know what I was talking about..."

EkaCoralian
Org Profile

Re: [Miyazaki and Ghibli]

Post by EkaCoralian » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:37 am

I wouldn't say that The Cat Returns is a Miyazaki film, mainly because it was based on a manga in the first place. I would consider any movie by Studio Ghibli which he thought the idea up for to be a Miyazaki film.

MioMug
Org Profile

Post by MioMug » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:55 pm

EkaCoralian wrote:I wouldn't say that The Cat Returns is a Miyazaki film, mainly because it was based on a manga in the first place. I would consider any movie by Studio Ghibli which he thought the idea up for to be a Miyazaki film.
I would agree with this. I would consider something a Miyazaki film if the original concept was his, not something taken from a book or manga that he didn't create himself or if he directed the film.

Something like with The Cat Returns for example, Miyazaki was the Executive Producer to the film, the storyboards as well as the directing was done by Hiroyuki Morita, making it a Morita film rather then a Miyazaki film.

Tenshi K. Tama
Org Profile

Post by Tenshi K. Tama » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:19 pm

So even though it is technically a 'Morita film' and not a 'Miyazaki film', if it took place in Studio Ghibli then that would make it still a Ghibli Production, regardless of who did what.

Just making a statement, not going against what anyone else said.
I never thought that there would be the day...when this this sig would be upgraded.

LantisEscudo
Org Profile

Post by LantisEscudo » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:10 pm

My general thought is to use the term "Ghibli film" for things that come out of Studio Ghibli, no matter who made them. I save "Miyazaki film" for movies that Miyazaki has directed himself, including his pre-Ghibli work like Castle of Cagliostro.

Restricting the term "Miyazaki film" to things he originated the concept for is too limiting, IMO, since that also eliminates things that he's adapted, like Kiki's Delivery Service and Howl's Moving Castle.

Return to “General Anime”