Piracy promotes purchasing, especially amongst video editors

rook2pawn
Org Profile

Piracy promotes purchasing, especially amongst video editors

Post by rook2pawn » Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:48 am

I just wanted to say this because i found it to be true over and over for myself.

Whenever I watch a portion of some anime on anime-subs, and I like the story, I end up purchasing all the original DVDS.

This happened with me on three different anime series, resulting in a purchase of over 15 DVDs, and im quite happy.

If it was not for those sites showing low-quality FLV streams of anime, then there would be no way for me to know about which anime is good.

Also, the video editing community really cares about quality, i mean, we spend like, what, months and months working withing avisynth to get the ultimate picture?

So of course we are happy to purchase DVDs of the animes we really like..

You guys think the same thing?

Dar
yuri addict
Org Profile

Re: Piracy promotes purchasing, especially amongst video editors

Post by Dar » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:12 pm

fansubs aren't piracy. piracy is DVD Rips that you can download (same quality as DVD).

Ikore
Org Profile

Post by Ikore » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:26 pm

the only reason we needs fansubs is due we do not have anime broadcasted on tv, or it is shown ages ago of its "japannese release", if anime companies are really concern about fansubs, they should be more worried about the distribution of its products :?

so, yes, fansubs rulz for their free-contribution in the distribution of anime. |:>

*piracy is to SELL, copyrighted material without authorization of its owner.
SING! Never mind the words!!!

Garylisk
Org Profile

Post by Garylisk » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:14 pm

You all have an oddball view of piracy.

Take it from a fansubber - Fansubs are piracy. Cease and desist orders have been issued and obeyed, and not just from American companies who have license rights. Japanese companies have done the same. Tons of people in Japan download fansubs every day. The subtitles are annoying, but the fansubs are the easiest way to get the anime. (That and P*****t D**k and other such fielsharing networks.)

Piracy is any copying and distribution. In fact, it is rare that people make money from piracy. The norm is that it's free, and for most people, it's a hobby. It's a way to take a risk, have a little excitement, especially for game piraters who crack software.

And as for the original post's subject: for most people, piracy does not promote purchase. The anime industry is tanking in the USA except for a select few (Viz, Funimation) and the increasing speed of the internet is fairly high on my blame list.

Having said that, I am a hypocrite in a way since I am a fansubber. I do follow the old "code of honor" and stop distribution once the show is licensed. However, if the show is popular, it never stops getting passed around from person to person, and that's just how it is. :roll:
Alcohol, Drugs, Overdrive, Noise, Neon Lights, Party People, Revolution

8bit_samurai
Hmm...
Org Profile

Post by 8bit_samurai » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:40 pm

Kinda reminds me of a site that was linked in #AMV that tells about a game (iirc) that was pirated, and those who pirated it said they would buy the game if they liked it. Turns out none of those who pirated it bought the game. Or something along those lines, at least.
Under Construction

rook2pawn
Org Profile

Post by rook2pawn » Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:43 am

i just said what i said becuase i was recommended to watch "Saikano", so i watched it on anime-sub (im not typing the URL, but thats the name of the site for streaming low-quality FLV), and the story /art was so good , but I could not make out the fine detail, so i could not resist purchasing the DVDs. I bought the DVDS on ebay, but even then, I have no idea how to prove that these are authentic DVDS or chinese knockoffs.

Garylisk
Org Profile

Post by Garylisk » Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:59 am

rook2pawn wrote:I have no idea how to prove that these are authentic DVDS or chinese knockoffs.
http://www.animemusicvideos.org/forum/v ... =7&t=31387

:up:
Alcohol, Drugs, Overdrive, Noise, Neon Lights, Party People, Revolution

Sukunai
Org Profile

Post by Sukunai » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:59 am

30 bucks for broadband monthly + 12 bucks annually for newsindexer service annually + 11 bucks a month for newshost service (admittedly I got a great deal) = I am not getting my downloads for free, and the establishment can just suck it up.

Moronic disclaimers on these services are just that, moronic disclaimers.

I watch what I damn well feel like, and I download what I damn well feel like, and if I feel like it I might buy the actual retail item.

But when I can download a dvd and burn it to a 20 cent blank media disc, I need a damn good reason to pay effectively several orders of magnitude more for the same thing, in a fancy box. And the convoluted legal system(s) of various nations isn't good enough reason.

If the industry wants their due, they can speak to the people that sold them out by selling me unfettered access to the internet.
Anime, one of the few things about the internet that doesn't make me hate the internet.

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Post by Kariudo » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:14 pm

but your internet provider and the dub/distribution company are not the same entity...that's like saying that you payed for a plane ticket, therefore it's ok if you just take whatever food/magazines/other stuff you find in the shops in the terminal...it just doesn't work that way.

Just because you're giving money to one group does not mean that related groups get any of it.

Think of it this way, like your broadband internet...you are paying for a service.
The anime companies are finding anime, and bring it over to <insert country here> and (in most cases) redub the series into <insert language here> or at the very least provide professional translation, all for your enjoyment and convenience. You are also getting a product officially endorsed by the originator(s) which also carries with it an expectation of (some kind of) quality in packaging and content.

Buying the dvd is an expression of appreciation for the work that it takes to do all of that. It's been mentioned more than a few times in various places that when it comes down to it, we're getting a hell of a good deal on this stuff compared to what people in Japan have to pay.
$30 (or less) will get you up to 5 episodes over here
$77 will get you 2, maybe 3 episodes over in Japan
If you don't think it's worth $5 an episode, Funimation lets you download and buy for $2 an episode. (yes, Bandai != Funimation, but if you're that picky then the $2/ep is an even better deal because I can't tell you the last time I saw Funi put 5 eps on a disk for $25)

One last thing before I'm done here.
Let's say you have the opportunity to download a fansub that's currently airing in Japan.
you get 1 ep per week (sometimes less), so 4 ep per month...There, you've already payed more to download the non-professional (read: no quality guarantee,) subtitle only, no extras included episodes than it would have cost you to wait and buy the official release ($53 for everything in your internet-related expenses. $159 for a 13 ep series)

/done

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:56 pm

Kariudo wrote:One last thing before I'm done here.
Let's say you have the opportunity to download a fansub that's currently airing in Japan.
you get 1 ep per week (sometimes less), so 4 ep per month...There, you've already payed more to download the non-professional (read: no quality guarantee,) subtitle only, no extras included episodes than it would have cost you to wait and buy the official release ($53 for everything in your internet-related expenses. $159 for a 13 ep series)
I completely agree with the rest (and I am in fact one of those that spends actually quite a few money in purchasing licensed anime), but this point ain't working... with all the shows one could be following, the expenses would be covered anyway, and even in the case one was to follow only one show, all the other activities the internet offers still make up for it...
That doesn't make it a reason to go on and just download everything and not buying the actual thing, though.

Return to “General Anime”