The Japan obsession

Pas
のヮの
Org Profile

Re: The Japan obsession

Post by Pas » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:39 pm

hasteroth wrote:I love Japan. I want to live there, but I'm an anti-conformist and that could be a good thing and/or a bad thing. I have no desire to be Japanese, I just want to be with the Japanese, speak Japanese, and be where the Japanese are.
I swear I just went through several phases of different emotions, not one of them being good.

SenTrix
Org Profile

Post by SenTrix » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:36 pm

We'll hopefully, I will be able to go there for a gap year in 2010 or 2011, I know only know two Japanese, lol. And yes theres tons of places I want to go in Japan such as Hokkaido, Nagano, Osaka, Hiroshima, Kyoto and probably more |:>

Vaughn A.
Image <<..:: Click Me ::..>> Image

hasteroth
lost the bet
Org Profile

Post by hasteroth » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:51 pm

SenTrix wrote:We'll hopefully, I will be able to go there for a gap year in 2010 or 2011, I know only know two Japanese, lol. And yes theres tons of places I want to go in Japan such as Hokkaido, Nagano, Osaka, Hiroshima, Kyoto and probably more |:>

Vaughn A.
I intend to do a gap year in 2012 return to Canada, go to school. Then head on abck over there. Unless I end up going to school out there, haven't decided yet.
<Hacchinya> Stirspeare: ambassador of gaysex
<Stirspeare> Hacchinya: God's own ambassador.

Taokato
Org Profile

Post by Taokato » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:35 am

hasteroth wrote:I have no desire to be Japanese, I just want to be with the Japanese, speak Japanese, and be where the Japanese are.
I totally agree with you.

There is no reason to BE a Japanese. I'm satisfied being German.
But what does 'being Japanese' mean? Is an American guy Japanese when he speaks Japanese and lives in Japan?

hasteroth
lost the bet
Org Profile

Post by hasteroth » Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:59 am

Taokato wrote:
hasteroth wrote:I have no desire to be Japanese, I just want to be with the Japanese, speak Japanese, and be where the Japanese are.
I totally agree with you.

There is no reason to BE a Japanese. I'm satisfied being German.
But what does 'being Japanese' mean? Is an American guy Japanese when he speaks Japanese and lives in Japan?
Being Japanese means being part of the culture, speaking the language, sharing the values, and much more. It is possible for a person of Japanese decent to be Canadian, many Japanese are born in Canada and do not hold the same values as the Japanese from Japan, that's what seperates them. Canadians hold very different values from the Americans so if I were to go south and for some irrational reason want to live there (never) I would still be Canadian.

PS: Canada rules, we burned the White House in the War of 1812 :P

The Origonal Head Hunter
The Propheteer
Org Profile

Post by The Origonal Head Hunter » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:17 am

hasteroth wrote:Being Japanese means being part of the culture, speaking the language, sharing the values, and much more.
And you want to live there... why?
RonnieDaking wrote:i like my anime like I like my women, from japan and speaking english
Boredom.

Sukunai
Org Profile

Post by Sukunai » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:57 pm

I'm from Quebec, let me tell you, those that have an obsession with 'preserving' their culture likely are just trying to succeed in being left behind by the rest of the planet that has realized we are all increasingly becoming a non nationalized blend of all of the above.

I find cultural protectionism annoying in Quebec, I likely wouldn't enjoy it in Japan.

But hey, let them stay in the past if they insist. Just so long as they realize the future is for those willing to go to it.
Anime, one of the few things about the internet that doesn't make me hate the internet.

hasteroth
lost the bet
Org Profile

Post by hasteroth » Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:05 pm

The Origonal Head Hunter wrote:
hasteroth wrote:Being Japanese means being part of the culture, speaking the language, sharing the values, and much more.
And you want to live there... why?
Because I know other people who left Victoria to live in Japan and are doing great, and I simply want to go there.

SenTrix
Org Profile

Post by SenTrix » Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:57 pm

Well, as foriegners if anyone goes to japan, none of will really have any future unless you marry a Japanese person cause Japan isnt really multi cultural. And as the other guy pointed out the otaku population is highly ditested in Japan.
Image <<..:: Click Me ::..>> Image

Draw it blank
Org Profile

Post by Draw it blank » Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:29 pm

So then the solution is easy: De-otaku yourself for a bit ad take a vacation to Japan!
(Warning: may be harder than it seems)
We came we saw...we attempted to kick ass, but in the end we failed, and yes, I'm still in pain.

Return to “General Anime”