Jet Fighters - Military life?

Maver
Org Profile

Jet Fighters - Military life?

Post by Maver » Wed Mar 23, 2005 6:01 pm

I'm in a war movie mood (speficly Jet Fighters) i've already seen robotech - macross plus - macross zero - Yukikaze Danger Zone 1 (none of the other dvds have been released (at least of the stores i see) and i've just finished gundam 08th ms team. so anyone can suggest any for me to check out? (i liked the planes in yukikaze but with only watching 1 dvd so many unanswered questions, make it wierd to watch because i don't understand anything at all (but the fight scenes are cool!) but i've rambled on long enough so you guys got any suggestions for my viewing plesure?
"When its your time to go its your time to go, so lets get going!"

TGP hosting, slow downloads for those that have no where else to go. Email me for detals.

Tsunami Jones
is the best medicine.
Org Profile

Post by Tsunami Jones » Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:53 pm

There's a show called Area 88. It's filled with fighter planes and the like (especially since it takes place on an air base).

Mroni
Location: Heading for the 90s living in the 80s sitting in a back room waiting for the big boom
Org Profile

Post by Mroni » Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:59 pm

Area 88 definitley get the original oavs if you can better than the tv series that is currently out.

Mr Oni
Purity is wackable!
"Don't trust me I'm over 40!"

RedFusionX
Warning: Attitude!
Org Profile

Post by RedFusionX » Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:14 pm

You could check out the OVA series 801 TTS Airbats
"I've spent the last ten years of my life defending my country, I've sacrificed for it, fought for it, and bled for it, now it's time I got something back, so please just respect me and my fellow Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, and Marines as we continue to do this job."
Americans sleep peacefully in their beds at night because brave men stand willing to do violence on their behalf

narcted
Org Profile

Post by narcted » Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:19 am

RedFusionX wrote:You could check out the OVA series 801 TTS Airbats
I loved Airbats, but I'd hardly call it a 'war' movie.

A very much overlooked series, I feel, is Orguss 02, the sequel to the original Orguss. It's got a good short war with great plot and characters.

Full Metal Panic is kinda light comedy military anime series done by Gonzo, who made Yukikaze. Also I suppose Last Exile is also worth looking at. I still need to see it. And then there's Martian Succesor Nadesico also by Gonzo. BTW: Did they ever release the second disk of Yukikaze? I saw it but wasn't very impressed with the first two episodes. Haven't found volume 2.

The animation studio that did the good Macross series' (Not Macross II) also did Irresponsible Captain Tailor.

Maver
Org Profile

Post by Maver » Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:00 am

so the second disc for yukikaze is out? i know the first one wasn't impressive had alot of weird stuff but i think that's just to setup the plot, at one time i downloaded a ep (don't know which one) of yukikaze :oops: and it had some really cool fight scenes in it, though it was raw so i didn't understand much of it.

TGP hosting, slow downloads for those that have no where else to go. Email me for detals.

oldwrench
Org Profile

Post by oldwrench » Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:46 pm

Another gonzo title you might try is VanDred, humorous with lots of space battles. If you want some war anime of quwtionable quality, Big wars is a one disc movie that you can find cheep.
Where did you say I'm going?.... And what am I doing in a handbasket?

Come and join us on the tiny but fun forum at http://www.allanime.org

Maver
Org Profile

Post by Maver » Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:16 pm

already have seen vandread stage 1 & 2 lol

RedFusionX
Warning: Attitude!
Org Profile

Post by RedFusionX » Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:55 pm

Maver wrote:so the second disc for yukikaze is out? i know the first one wasn't impressive had alot of weird stuff but i think that's just to setup the plot, at one time i downloaded a ep (don't know which one) of yukikaze :oops: and it had some really cool fight scenes in it, though it was raw so i didn't understand much of it.
The second disc of Sentou Yousei Yukikaze is not out, the series hasn't even been finished in Japan yet. Wish there was a manga, but there isn't and the novel it is based on has never been translated.
"I've spent the last ten years of my life defending my country, I've sacrificed for it, fought for it, and bled for it, now it's time I got something back, so please just respect me and my fellow Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, and Marines as we continue to do this job."
Americans sleep peacefully in their beds at night because brave men stand willing to do violence on their behalf

narcted
Org Profile

Post by narcted » Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:04 pm

Maver wrote:so the second disc for yukikaze is out? i know the first one wasn't impressive had alot of weird stuff but i think that's just to setup the plot, at one time i downloaded a ep (don't know which one) of yukikaze :oops: and it had some really cool fight scenes in it, though it was raw so i didn't understand much of it.
I don't think they ever released the second disc in the States. I think the release of the first disc was such a flop they never did the second disc to finish the series.

Having been in the military myself I think Silent Service is pretty realistic.

And as for what normal everyday life is kinda like, I would suprisingly suggest PatLabor. Hours of boredom with seconds of terror, but you always have a good time with your buddies. All under the umbrella of beauracracy. Yeah, Patlabor is a lot like what most of my time in, quantitavely, was like.

You might want to also see Gasaraki. Having been made in 2001 it's scarily foreshadowing of what was to come in the real world. Basically the United Nations, mostly the US, invades a terrorist Middle Eastern nation of Belgistan, only to end up getting their conventional forces suffer casualities at the hand of guerilla resistance. Okay, the resistance has mechas, but you get the point.

Return to “General Anime”