Just say "no" to pointless threads

The_Collection
Org Profile

Post by The_Collection » Tue Jun 15, 2004 5:07 pm

thats it! the time has come for the true anime fans to take over this website! Revolt! power to the people! the age of the meaningless threads has begun... new ranodm topic for me...

{why is there a topic talking about how much it hates other topics, cant we get a long? does not anime teach us to love each other? have we forgot why we first loved anime?}
Spikebomb00 wrote:Damn, I never thought I'd say this, but I guess it is possible to watch too much anime.

madmag9999
Org Profile

Post by madmag9999 » Wed Jun 16, 2004 2:07 am

becouse without the vs. threads i can finaly come into general anime section and know wtf is going on. befor the whole first page of this forum was flooded with vs. threads that i found to be stupid annoying and meaning less. so no we cant all get along sorry :P
Moonslayer's Guide to a-m-v.org | AD & ErMaC's Guides to Audio & Video
"I'm sorry but i don't trust anything that bleeds for 5 days and doesn't die."

Lunar665
Org Profile

Post by Lunar665 » Fri Jun 18, 2004 1:46 am

I'm new to these boards, but I'll just throw in that as long as a vs. thread is consisting of healthy debate instead of just a flame fest then I'm all for it. As for all vs. threads being locked/deleted I would hope that an admin would deal with them on a per basis. Of course since I'm new around here maybe I don't know that ALL vs threads are flame fests yet... :p

Lunar665
Org Profile

Post by Lunar665 » Fri Jun 18, 2004 1:48 am

PS: I didn't read all 7 pages of posts, so if I just restated what's already been said, ignore it.

Sonoako
Org Profile

I Agree

Post by Sonoako » Fri Jun 18, 2004 3:59 am

I agree with the first post and any other post that is the same concept of of the first : ] Vs On Forum = Blah

Arigatomina
Org Profile

Post by Arigatomina » Sat Jun 19, 2004 12:47 pm

Cloud Clone wrote:I don't think a mod could defeat their pride and lock their own thread... :?
No, that's not it. It gives an impression that they care - leaving it open. As if they actually encourage discussion about the ruling, instead of being tyrants doing whatever they choose. The fact that no one has responded to any of the invited complaints tells otherwise, but it still looks more 'open-handed' to leave the thread unlocked. This way people will continue to think their opinions matter, even when they don't. If they just changed things, locking threads behind them, it wouldn't be a very good (too visible) display of control. Since there are supporters dissing the few who bother to complain, the sticky serves its purpose. It's living proof that they're only doing what the members want them to, and anyone with complaints is more than welcome to express themselves. Just as long as they don't expect a response.

Another impression it gives is that some future member might post a topic idea here to find out if it's 'pointless' or not. Hopefully it will spare them from having to make more threads when they start banning other topics from the discussion forum. This sticky can stand to represent all pointless things the site is better off without, open so the agreeing public can add their support (think of the 'newbies: how to make an amv' thread - half flames) and so the confused members can ask questions (and perhaps avoid potentially pointless thread topics that no one has thought to ban outright yet).

So long as the spam is kept down, and people praise the decision, there's no reason to lock it. And in that spirit, why not suggest other topics to eliminate to help the admin out?

'Favorite anime' polls
any polls
boring anime posts (dbz, yyh, eva, bebop, anything your average newb might want to talk about that we've already seen a thousand times - we could just ban any anime on the 'most used' lists to keep the pointless repeats down)
'what if' threads - (haven't seen any lately, but they were big for a while there)
'recommend me' threads - (if they want to know what anime people think others should watch, they can just look through 'favorite anime' lists - no different from the 'favorite anime' polls)

I'm sure people can think of lots more. They've already started locking these 'pointless' threads, so why not have them listed here so the people posting them are warned ahead of time not to bother? After all, you can hardly fault people for breaking rules that were never stated. Drop them here and you can get it in writing.

paizuri
Org Profile

Post by paizuri » Sun Jun 20, 2004 3:30 am

For some reason I thought I had responded to this thread directly, but instead I did it in this thread. My bad.

If it seems like I'm ignoring this thread, I am not. Personally, I read every thread on the forum, but I don't reply immediately to things because I like to think things through before posting. As such, sometimes I am interrupted by other things and forget to reply to everything that I originally intended on.

I am leaving this thread open because I would rather people argue here than make new threads. Although if you were to make a thread regarding this subject matter, please do so in Site Suggestions. Read through the several somewhat-related threads there first though, just in case your specific complaint has been addressed in one of them.

I will be adding an addendum to the text of the first post right after I finish this one (which will be duly noted in the post so if it doesn't look like it's there, I'm probably not done adding it).
My favorite video: Grilled Steak Trigun I LOVE THE COPS! Rargh!
I ain't 2 proud 2 beg! haha school rumble is great
Why do I always have the most preposterous sigs???
My current favorite thread. I'm a huge fan of GA-JAMMING.

Scootamis919
Org Profile

Post by Scootamis919 » Sun Jun 20, 2004 1:31 pm

Whats a pointless thread????

Arigatomina
Org Profile

Post by Arigatomina » Sun Jun 20, 2004 1:38 pm

Scootamis919 wrote:Whats a pointless thread????
One that doesn't really go anywhere - sort of like a 'plotless' story. A thread where you say "I like X the anime series." is pointless because it doesn't inspire any conversation and doesn't go anywhere.

On that note:
Very nice addendum, Paizuri. ^_^ Especially that it will be decided on a case-by-case basis and not a clean sweep. That's much more reasonable sounding, and definitely something that would help clean up the Gen Anime section (without limiting the thread types).

Scootamis919
Org Profile

Post by Scootamis919 » Sun Jun 20, 2004 1:39 pm

Thank u very much Arigatomyna, for openning my eyes to this topic :lol:

Return to “General Anime”