anime vs western tv

This forum is for the general discussion of Anime.

Postby R-A-N-M-A » Sat Jun 05, 2004 8:22 pm

Anime 1 Wetsern tv 0

final score.
R-A-N-M-A

Postby Calim » Sat Jun 05, 2004 8:48 pm

Animation - Anime definitly better then some animation over here but we got some good stuff.

Regular TV - I definitly like regular TV like Law & Order and NYPD better then some of the anime I watch very interesting and dramatic stuff.
"Ass's are important in todays society, but....." -By Knuckles
FUNimation Kills my innerchild
Shippo is the PIMP of all foxes ^^.
Shippo Fan Club Member
Calim

No Contest

Postby HeavyMetal » Sun Jun 06, 2004 3:05 am

Anime has some good and bad stuff. But no standard made for TV show seems to ever have the depth anime can have sometimes.

As for the animation....no contest.

Anime has special effects, camera concepts, and a vastly more 3D movement.

Western animation has soap opera frame by frame comic book dialogue, generally a still camera, and 2D movement to go with the still camera.
HeavyMetal

Postby ryuu_hime13 » Sun Jun 06, 2004 6:47 pm

I guess they're both totally different...it's not really fair to compare.
In a mad world, only the mad are sane.
-Akira Kurosawa
ryuu_hime13

Postby Merm » Sun Jun 06, 2004 7:07 pm

ryuu_hime13 wrote:I guess they're both totally different...it's not really fair to compare.

So true.

We here are going to be a little biased toward anime, but their are plenty of good shows on tv that aren't anime and its difficult to compare something like Full Metal Panic to something like Band of Brothers.
The most expedient way to avert crisis is always by the indiscriminate extinction of anything that stands in your way.
"Give me the power to kill with impunity! I'll put it to damn good use!" - Black Mage
Merm

Location: UAC Mars Research Facility, Olduvai Weapon of Choice: BFG 9000 Mk2

Viva La Bam

Postby HeavyMetal » Sun Jun 06, 2004 11:19 pm

Okay some things can't be compared with Anime.

Like Viva La Bam. :twisted:

But lets face it, a lot can be compared and found short especially animation.

From the artistic stand point alone anime leaves western animation in the dust.
HeavyMetal

Postby generalhs » Mon Jun 07, 2004 9:09 am

Calim wrote:Regular TV - I definitly like regular TV like Law & Order and NYPD better then some of the anime I watch very interesting and dramatic stuff.

Definitely. I'm a certified Law & Order addict.
generalhs

Postby bum » Mon Jun 07, 2004 9:45 am

ah yes, law and order. a tv series about crime designed so as only thoughs above the age of two years can understand it.
bum

Postby Nienna Elentari » Mon Jun 07, 2004 2:05 pm

I have to say that when I tape a show I don't look forward to watching it as much as I do when I tape anime or buy anime. In fact, I even put off watching the taped shows that aren't anime. TV series I just grow tired of after awhile when they go on and on.

I never really got into watching tv either. I always thought there were better things to do than sit around the tv all day (my opinion). Most of the shows I can't get into and I hate MTV too! It reminds me of a bunch of highschoolers that think they're "popular" getting together and decided what they think is "in/cool" or something. I dunno, reminds me of a bunch of groupies or something, just kinda dumb to me.

The only show that I have greatly enjoyed as much as anime would have to be Alias. I love that show; it has so many twists and turns it keeps you into it without making it drag on and on. It keeps you at the edge of you seat at some points and than something will happen that you never even thought would; it's not very predictable.

Other than that I generally think tv is a waste of time and anime is much better (not all anime, but most). ^_^
"I'm just watching a dream I never wake up from."
Nienna Elentari

Postby Archduke of zeon » Mon Jun 07, 2004 4:23 pm

I don't watch TV because I am to occupied with my schoolwork, I.T. is serious stuff to learnand you must keep making programs to become better and better at it so I just don't have the time for watching TV.
But I watch anime on DVD that I bought when I am busy programming on my pc, when I take a break.

To think of TV-series, there are a lot of Belgian shows that really suck ass and we only have to do with American shows and almost none anime on TV. The bitches even have cancelled the only good anime on TV (naming Gundam Wing) and that all because of those d*rn old folks. So ya I don't watch TV very often anymore, only sports and news lately.
Sieg Zeon
Archduke of zeon

Postby inuyashaguru » Mon Jun 07, 2004 5:04 pm

i don't really watch tv either...i usually turn it on when i want to fall asleep to take a nap..so what does that say ..hhaha.
they only thing i ever really made time for is adult swim..that's the only thing i watched at college and it's still the only thing i watch now in the summer..generally i'll watch a movie or read rather than waste my time on tv...i've noticed that it seems to anger me...those stupid shows and fake acting..i get to pissed to continue to watch it cuz it's so shitty. so anime and movies are about all watch these days.
plus the fact that anime makes my insides happy :D so of course that automatically makes it win..duh.
"I have no fondness for the name of Battousai. But I will not pass it on to a man like you" Rurouni Kenshin
"This world is made of LOVE AND PEACE!" -Vash
inuyashaguru

Postby Char the second » Mon Jun 07, 2004 5:23 pm

YES BUT THEY STILL SHOW COYBOY BEBOP THE REST IS CRAP
dreams
Char the second

Postby Char the second » Mon Jun 07, 2004 5:25 pm

aaa the good old days when adult sawin was around showing great anime at 1 in the morning awaaaaaaawwaaa i somehow loved it
dreams
Char the second

Postby rose4emily » Mon Jun 07, 2004 8:47 pm

There's definately some good Western television. There's an unbelievable amount of crap - but, among the thousand variations of "real-world: some lame 'extreme' location" there are a few shows like "West Wing" and "Gilmour Girls" to keep that last spark of intellect burning bright in the vast expanse of murky darkness.

American television animation is definately done with a different aim from most anime. I love shows like South Park, Family Guy, and (setting aside hatred of MTV) Daria. They don't have the kind of depth or incredible artwork that my favorite anime have, but they do have a different virtue: you can sit down and watch any given episode and get a nice, quick laugh along with a bit of social commentary - and you don't have to worry about whether you're skipping over parts of the story or not understanding things because you missed what happened last week. They are to animation what Tetris and Galaga are to video games - something easy to grasp that's great for simple enjoyment and can be picked up and left off at any time. There are also, I should note, some anime that fit very well into this same paradigm - like Azumanga Daioh or You're Under Arrest. You can get more out of them if you see them in order to follow the larger story, but any single episode is also enjoyable in itself.

Anime, because it usually does follow a continuous storyline and often works on the "it'll all make sense eventually" premise, is able to dig far deeper into the nuances of the story and psyches of the characters than is possible for most Western series and films. That's not a result of what country it comes from so much as the format it is designed to fit within. There are some Western stories I can think of with the same sort of depth or detail - like Tolkein's "Lord of the Rings" or Orson Scot Card's "Ender" books, but they don't tend to show up on television because most American audiences don't want to come home from work to digest a complex epic with its own world and intricate details. I honestly couldn't imagine trying to follow something like Evangelion or Haibane Renmei if it was regularly scheduled TV - miss one episode and you are left with a huge gaping hole in the net you need to catch the details in what's coming up.

Films are another matter. Both the East and the West have some awesome films - and, I'm sure, some horrible ones. Don't forget that the West has produced, even in the tasteless culture of recent(ish) years, some real gems like the first Matrix film, Schindler's List, I am Sam, Requiem for a Dream, Edward Scissorhands, As Good as it Gets, and Almost Famous. Not to mention some older classics like Breakfast at Tiffany's and 2001. Then there are some great Eastern films like Kurosawa's Seven Samauri and adaptation of Macbeth, or animated films like Grave of the Fireflies or Mononoke Hime. Can't forget those old Hong-Kong action films that are being so heavily borrowed off of by bigger-budget Western action flicks. Problem is, I think we've been tricked into watching some real crap from wherever it is we live that makes us think our home nation is inherently artisticly inferior. Imagine if you only watched films that won Oscars and remain, after years, as classics or cult favorites. Your perspective would change quite a bit, would it not? That's what we get with anime, the best of an art form that is uncannily diverse in both theme and quality.

May all of it come together to amuse, awe, and inspire you in the manner each piece best fits.
may seeds of dreams fall from my hands -
and by yours be pressed into the ground.
rose4emily

Postby OzzieArcane » Mon Jun 07, 2004 11:47 pm

Rorschach wrote:Heck, practically anything you can get as a video is better than TV, whether you're in the East or the West. There's no schedule to follow, no commercial break, and no station logo.

I agree, I also just don't have time for TV even if it's a show I like most the time. If I watch something be it anime or something else it's usually on DVD. I have Family Guy, Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Samurai Jack, and The Critic DVDs. I just wish they'd get Gargoyles on DVD.

Very few shows with actors have ever interested me, unless they had a bit of a fantasy theme to them which is rare because the average person usually doesn't want to see tales of some person saving the world or fighting dragons. I really liked shows like Hercules, as a kid I did watch alot of sit coms but that was more because I had to then I wanted to. My parents didn't want me playing video games for more then like 1 hour a day. The only sit com I ever actualy enjoyed was Sienfield. It was a show about nothing and they admitted it. Practically all sit coms are about nothing but are any of the other ones going to admit it? No!
My latest video:Ranma Chan is Too Sexy
My less then magnificant website: Planet Arcane
OzzieArcane

PreviousNext

Return to General Anime