anime vs western tv

Charizard305
Org Profile

Post by Charizard305 » Fri Jun 04, 2004 7:31 pm

madbunny wrote:You have to realize that western (read American) TV has a lot of restrictions placed on it via the FCC and what sort of content can be shown in a particular timeslot, or even at all. Additionally many of the shows are designed to reach specific target audiences. Once you start designing your entertainment and marketing it for smaller and smaller nich audiences you begin to alienate everyone outside of that nich.
That dosen't mean that every big show on TV has to me some kind of American/Pop Idol, or some Survivor Remake. Granted not every television show is like that, and there are a few good ones out there, but it seems that all of the shows on T.V. are new sitcoms that suck, have no real plot, don't let you feel for the characters or has been done before. You just dont see the good sitcoms like Friends, Seinfeld (kinda) or the like anymore.

Amreican Idol is what, going into its 4th year now? Yea, it was ok the first year, but damn, The show is old now. Everything you coulda possibly done has been done. And as for the survivor shows, how can you watch a group of people stab everyone elce in the back and get a kick out of it. Thats just asenine
- Richie -
Don't expect to have an inteligent conversation with me, the hampster that runs the wheel inside my head died a few weeks ago from lack of excersize.

Nekoboy Sal
AD Copycat
Org Profile

Post by Nekoboy Sal » Fri Jun 04, 2004 7:31 pm

I'v completely stoped watching western TV (moving to Irland helped). The only thing I watch on TV (wich is a widescreen like all Eruopean TVs) is Emerdale, Corination Street, Eastenders, or what ever my grandma is wathcing duruing dinner. I'v stopped plalying Video games aswell. I only have one power addapter and I'm not bothered to unhook my DVD player every 5 minets.
During the last 1 or 2 years before I moved my TV watching dwindaled. SciFi channel, Ed, Edd, And Eddy, and Adult swim was pretty much the only things I wathced. I missed the good SciFi channel too. When they didn't play stupid TV series like Tremors. Its nothing compared to the Movies. But only the first 2 were good. It went downhilll from there. I did like Stargate, but again nothing compared to the movei. I remember when I watched Gigantor on the SciFi chanel with my mom.
*Sigh* The Good old days.
BACK WHEN THE SCIFI CHANNEL WAS COOL!
No, I'm not dead...
I've just moved to Politicaly Corect "Republic of Ireland".

Charizard305
Org Profile

Post by Charizard305 » Fri Jun 04, 2004 7:35 pm

Thats another thing. Stargate the move was Awesome, Stargate SG-1 is Watchable but only a mere twinkle of the movie, as with any series, it should start out as a series to introduce the characters and get you aquainted with them, then create a movie about it so you can focus more on the story line and plot of that movie.
- Richie -
Don't expect to have an inteligent conversation with me, the hampster that runs the wheel inside my head died a few weeks ago from lack of excersize.

Aussie_angel5
Org Profile

Post by Aussie_angel5 » Fri Jun 04, 2004 10:18 pm

I prefer Stargate SG-1 to the movie. The series is a lot more entertaining, and I prefer the more comedic Jack to the serious Jack in the movie. By the way, I'm a Stargate fan so I just had to say that.

I don't watch much television any more. I used to watch it addictively, but now I have found it boring. There is this new show on 7 that seems to be a cross of Alias and 24 - both of which I enjoy. I am REALLY tired of reality shows, they just flooded the market when the ratings went up.

I gotta say I prefer anime because it's different and I don't see much of it. I'd like to see more, but I need the money and time to actually go out and buy them.

demented
Org Profile

Post by demented » Sat Jun 05, 2004 12:37 am

Theres plenty of anime that was influenced by westen media. You're not very observant if you couldn't spot it. I'll give a few examples:

Cowboy Bebop: Mushroom Samba episode based on the Blaxploitation films of the 70's. Mad Pierrot was based on the Penguin and Joker from Batman comics. Spike is dressed like Dirty Harry. Fuck the music itself was Western

Trigun: The typical Old West layout

You see that Japanese has a fascination with Native Americans, as seen in Cowboy Bebop, Dragonball (original), Cyborg 009, and Dagger of Kamui.

There was an Oingo Boingo poster in Kuwabara's room in Yu Yu Hakusho

Macross series: Da plane!! Boss! Da plane!!! As in look in the plane designs

On a different take on this topic, I see the FCC or whoever censors anime on daytime television as bunch of hypocrites

I see plenty of anime on tv were cigarettes, guns, and booze are airbrushed out just because they are cigarettes, guns, and booze. But if you look at a Tom and Jerry cartoon, you see Tom holding up Jerry at gunpoint in a Old Wes themed cartoon. Tom even rolls up and smokes a fucking cigarette. Also didn't Nibbles (Jerry's nephew) get drunk on ale in the Robin Hood-ish short? Underaged drinking is a no no in anime, but its alright in a western cartoon. Yeah I understand that they're animals, but the representation is still there.
"Don't compare me to a demented poster!" - Moonlight Soldier

Knowledge is power, Power corrupts
...Study hard and be evil

demented
Org Profile

Post by demented » Sat Jun 05, 2004 12:47 am

Also....

Family Guy, Southpark, Vida Guerra > anime
"Don't compare me to a demented poster!" - Moonlight Soldier

Knowledge is power, Power corrupts
...Study hard and be evil

TaranT
Org Profile

Post by TaranT » Sat Jun 05, 2004 2:05 am

Anders Sandberg wrote:...A futuristic police procedural, Stand Alone Complex centers around Section 9, a secretive intelligence agency dealing with high-tech crime. The main character is Major Kusanagi, an elite ex-soldier whose body has been entirely replaced by robotics. Only her brain is natural, and sometimes she wonders about that too.

The criminal stories are often simple, but that’s almost beside the point. The real question isn’t who the culprit is but why the culprit did it: The series depicts intricate infighting within the government, with the intelligence agencies jockeying with the police and the military while the Department of Health uses other departments as tools for its own schemes....
The rest of the article, "Anime Dreams": http://www.reason.com/0405/cr.as.anime.shtml

billy_wires
Org Profile

Post by billy_wires » Sat Jun 05, 2004 5:16 am

I think western TV is one of the greatest hinderances to me enjoying the anime I spent so much on. I just turn it on, and watch whats on. Come to think of it, I don't think I've found a time where I turn on tv and don't find anything to watch... :o

)v(ajin Koji
Org Profile

Post by )v(ajin Koji » Sat Jun 05, 2004 6:12 am

angelx03 wrote:I only watch 24 and a few comedy sitcoms on TV.
x2 + the odd episode of the Simpsons.
I'm bored and you're dumb. A match made in heaven.
- Kai Stromler to son_goten.
Last edited by )v(ajin Koji on Mon 21, 2011 9:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

Rorschach
Org Profile

Post by Rorschach » Sat Jun 05, 2004 7:12 am

Heck, practically anything you can get as a video is better than TV, whether you're in the East or the West. There's no schedule to follow, no commercial break, and no station logo.

Return to “General Anime”