Should Evangelion be out on Cartoon Network?

alternatefutures
Org Profile

Post by alternatefutures » Thu Sep 05, 2002 4:13 pm

No it shouldn't as that would be one more slot on CN that a good series couldn't get in. :P

clickbangburn
Org Profile

?

Post by clickbangburn » Thu Sep 05, 2002 7:28 pm

Chaos Angel, did the dub actually have the word 'god' written in NERV's logo? I just saw Detah and Rebirth a week ago and i didn't see that...
"LORD, what the HELL am i doing here?" - Nicholas D. Wolfwood
"In plays, they always say 'a rain of blood fell' but you really made it rain blood..." - Tomoe

Chaos Angel
Org Profile

Post by Chaos Angel » Thu Sep 05, 2002 7:53 pm

What Angel said. It's the slogan written under the maple leaf and NERV. It's easier to see on the boxset than it is in the series.
Fragile and Frail | Summertime

I'm not a vegetarian because I enjoy eating cute animals.

Machine
Org Profile

Post by Machine » Thu Sep 05, 2002 8:21 pm

America....the land of the free...

And the home to many pansies.

Anyone ever see the movie Demolition Man? Remember that little Utopian society in the future that Stallone is in as a cop?

That's almost the perfect example to what America will Degrade to if people dont open their minds to what people have to say....

If you dont like it...then dont watch or hear it.

*Recalls an earlier crisis from the A-Kon Doc.

Apparently I was told that I could have gotten sued for defimation of character for some of the little stunts I pulled and things I said.

I guess people don't know how to lighten up. :x

Lyrs
Org Profile

Post by Lyrs » Thu Sep 05, 2002 10:28 pm

Here's what I would want CN to do if they did show Eva on Adult swim.

1. No dub's. Have the original audio. I like those voices way more.

2. Have subtitles, teaching kids to read is good. Speed read is also a good skill to develope. people with hearing disabilities get a perk.

3. Motivates people to Learn Japanese. It's a good language to learn.

4. Make SURE the subtitels are right! Make sure they have the SAME meaning.

5. No cuts allowed. Americans can take the blood and guts. There's more good that people can learn from Eva then there is bad.
GeneshaSeal - Dead Seals for Free
Orgasm - It's a Science

alternatefutures
Org Profile

Post by alternatefutures » Thu Sep 05, 2002 11:24 pm

1) Shinji's a whiny kid going through puberty, what's wrong with him sounding like a whiny kid going through puberty?

2) Not many people will be reading subtitles while Misato's ass is being waved at their faces.

3) Most people in the US don't have a basic grasp of English and you think anime will make them want to learn Japanese?

4) So, we should have all the cultural jokes and puns that no one will get, along with some very odd sentances that don't make any sense to a non-Japanese speaker?

5) Like how not to make a series?

And if CN did do all that, how are they supposed to make any money? 75% of the people who would watch it like that already own the DVDs and wouldn't bother to watch it when a TV station says so, and the other 25% are too broke to buy the DVDs in the first place. No one would pay for advertisements as there would be few potential customers. CN goes belly up, a lot of people lose their supply of anime, fanbase grows smaller, distributors make less money, we stop getting as many series imported. Hope you're happy.

Chaos Angel
Org Profile

Post by Chaos Angel » Thu Sep 05, 2002 11:37 pm

Unfortunately, Alternatefutures has a point. As fan-fucking-tastic as it would be to see CN play the uncut sub, they would lose money because the majority of people like dubs. Although I do not think playing just one series uncut sub would cause CN to go belly up (because they would most assuredly drop it once it started showing a profit loss), and the scenario you layed out seems a bit extreme, it is still true that dubs are what make the money.

So, dubs are here to stay. I just hope they start getting better, and stop sounding like fucking Saturday Morning shit.

Although, I'd still watch the sub.
Fragile and Frail | Summertime

I'm not a vegetarian because I enjoy eating cute animals.

Return to “General Anime”