How to Spot a Bootleg

m00nL355
Org Profile

Post by m00nL355 » Wed May 12, 2004 8:43 pm

Hmmm, new here, but just a quick question....regular videotapes (VHS i think they're called :?: )...can they be bootleg??? I know awhile back i got a Record of Lodoss Wars tape for a gift, and the dubs are so horrible it made me have to turn it off :shock: , no joke. Granted, the ppl they got could suck really bad too, lol.
:wink:
"Craftly woven comments make sentimental luxuries."

madmag9999
Org Profile

Post by madmag9999 » Wed May 12, 2004 9:04 pm

yes they can.
a bootleg is anything that has been copyed and sold off as the real thing.
there for any type of 'fake' media/software is bootleg
Moonslayer's Guide to a-m-v.org | AD & ErMaC's Guides to Audio & Video
"I'm sorry but i don't trust anything that bleeds for 5 days and doesn't die."

gothicshark
Org Profile

Post by gothicshark » Thu May 13, 2004 3:02 pm

That is why i get my bootllegs from the source, IE .torrents :wink: they be only the cost of bandwidth
big bad pig smelled lots of flowers and became a good pig

Declan_Vee
Mr. Poopy Pants
Org Profile

Post by Declan_Vee » Fri May 14, 2004 4:48 am

gothicshark wrote:That is why i get my bootllegs from the source, IE .torrents :wink: they be only the cost of bandwidth
What you say!!
AMV Search | AMV Guides
AMV Live. "It's like Iron Chef, only too many cooks will spoil the broth"

m00nL355
Org Profile

Post by m00nL355 » Fri May 14, 2004 1:04 pm

lol, ok, thanks! :D
"Craftly woven comments make sentimental luxuries."

missingno81
Org Profile

Post by missingno81 » Fri May 14, 2004 11:29 pm

If you think about it, most of you rely more on the fake DVDs than you really want to admit. How else would you hear or watch those new series like Naruto.

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Sat May 15, 2004 9:15 am

Fansubs. No, they're also illegal, but at least we don't end up supporting the Chinese mafia by downloading them.
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

CyberSilver
Org Profile

Post by CyberSilver » Mon May 17, 2004 5:16 pm

I'm sorry to say this, But I believe that it is relativly OK to use BitTorrent and bootlegs in many cases. Why? Simple.

A: many anime shows/movies can only be gotten sub/dub through these ways, as the will most likely never be legaly ported to America.

B: The prices are much to high! You studied up? If so youll see that it only takes about 1/2 the price they charge to ship it and make profit. the rest is going towards lineing some big wigs pocket.

C: With all the damned cencorships and regulations that this country puts on thier imported goods, its damn near imposible to get alot of anime without haveing the words changed and such. (One reason I prefer fansubs to regular subs or translations any day of the week... it stays truer to the Animes origional look and feel).

D: Some of us cant affored to line some big wigs pocket, and have no other means of getting it.

So there. Its just my opinion. Sorry if I offended any of you.

P.S: Hi!
"'Thou shall not kill' remember?! What the hell kind of church man are you anyway??"
~Vash the stampede

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Mon May 17, 2004 7:50 pm

CyberSilver wrote: A: many anime shows/movies can only be gotten sub/dub through these ways, as the will most likely never be legaly ported to America.
Ok. That's usually not looked down on, especially for using it as AMV footage, but it's neither encouraged nor should be actively supported and endorsed by the .org for the obvious reasons.
B: The prices are much to high! You studied up? If so youll see that it only takes about 1/2 the price they charge to ship it and make profit. the rest is going towards lineing some big wigs pocket.
On one hand, true.

On the other hand, we don't live in a capitalist society for nothing. It's the way the market works. Noone would bring anime over on a large scale if it didn't bring them profits through legal channels. Bootlegs and fansubs have the advantage of not having to pay licensing, promotional, and other such fees associated with legal production.
C: With all the damned cencorships and regulations that this country puts on thier imported goods, its damn near imposible to get alot of anime without haveing the words changed and such. (One reason I prefer fansubs to regular subs or translations any day of the week... it stays truer to the Animes origional look and feel).
Not true of the vast majority DVD's I believe. I'm yet to see a censored DVD that has been released here recently.
D: Some of us cant affored to line some big wigs pocket, and have no other means of getting it.
True. But that's not a justification for using illegal means, merely an exceuse.

Most importantly, it's in the .org's own interest to endorse legal channels and discourage bootlegging. I don't think the officials here are interested in getting involved in promoting a strictly-defined illegal activity which is protected by international and national copyright laws.

If you do it, do so at your own risk and don't get this community involved.
P.S: Hi!
Hi and welcome. Thanks for the opinions and welcome to the .org! Enjoy your stay...
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

Kalium
Sir Bugsalot
Org Profile

Post by Kalium » Mon May 17, 2004 7:57 pm

The sad thing is when the fansubs really do have better translation than the domestic releases. Case in point being Crest of the Stars.

Return to “General Anime”