How to Spot a Bootleg

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Thu May 20, 2004 1:09 pm

Knù¢klés wrote:has ne one noticed on sites like ebay bootleggers have started to describe there bootlegs as Region 1 and NTSC instead of saying there Region 0 or Free, in abid to sell more copys... i recently got tricked into buying EscaFlowne which is bootleged and im hesident to watch them.... :evil:
From FX? I have seen this bootleg before, and it had everything important that the R1 release also had (English audio track, subs right on and none dropped that I noticed, and some fun extras), so it should be okay to watch.
Knù¢klés wrote:its Region Free, and theres nuffin NTSC about it
Nonsense. If the resolution is 720x480 and the frame rate is 29.97, it's NTSC.
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

Knù¢klés
Org Profile

Post by Knù¢klés » Thu May 20, 2004 1:46 pm

Scintilla wrote:
Knù¢klés wrote:has ne one noticed on sites like ebay bootleggers have started to describe there bootlegs as Region 1 and NTSC instead of saying there Region 0 or Free, in abid to sell more copys... i recently got tricked into buying EscaFlowne which is bootleged and im hesident to watch them.... :evil:
From FX? I have seen this bootleg before, and it had everything important that the R1 release also had (English audio track, subs right on and none dropped that I noticed, and some fun extras), so it should be okay to watch.
Knù¢klés wrote:its Region Free, and theres nuffin NTSC about it
Nonsense. If the resolution is 720x480 and the frame rate is 29.97, it's NTSC.
i thought NTSC refered to the whole US CA Region 1 crap. but its still Region free and all 26 Episodes on 3 disk in a crappy case, theres 4 dvd players in my house 1 being R1 and the rest being R2 PAL and it works on them all so that means its Region Free.... i was just sayin there advertising false details to make a sale... and the two dialogues are English and Chinese and it says on the site -

Dialogue: English/Japanese

lies lies lies... i just want every1 to be weary not to get stuck with these cheap peices of c+r-a=p

*Sigh* why are all the evil people in this world from california. :P

Knù¢klés
TheKorovaMilkbar Q: Why does Fei where those hot pants half-way up her crack? (cowboy bebop)
Kracus A: because it is easier than wiping

http://player.id-t.com

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Thu May 20, 2004 1:56 pm

Knù¢klés wrote:and the two dialogues are English and Chinese and it says on the site -

lies lies lies... i just want every1 to be weary not to get stuck with these cheap peices of c+r-a=p
Are we looking at the same DVDs here? The FX release has no Chinese anywhere on it, just English and Japanese audio, and English subtitles. It's basically the same thing as the official R1 release, just on fewer discs, in cheaper packaging, and with an amusing copyright warning that tells us that we're not allowed to play these DVDs in places like hospitals, hotels, prisons, and <i>oil rigs.</i> :)
ImageImage

Joykiller
Longwinded Cynic
Org Profile

Post by Joykiller » Thu May 20, 2004 2:49 pm

I just wanted to add that Ebay imparticular is pretty strict about their anti-bootleg policy. (http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/bootlegs.html) I've only ordered one DVD off of ebay, and it was a three disk set that included every episode of Excel Saga. I wasn't aware that it was a bootleg copy until I recieved it. After I watched it, me and my fiance' emailed the guy and pointed out to him that selling bootlegs through ebay was against their policys and threatened to turn him in. We got a refund on our money and got to keep the shitty bootlegs. (which I'm pretty sure we smashed in favor of getting the ADV copies).

Moral of the story, if you get fooled by these idiots, take action. Fight back. No one should be paying for shit they are paying next to nothing for.
Former Anime Mid-Atlantic AMV Contest Coordinator

Knù¢klés
Org Profile

Post by Knù¢klés » Thu May 20, 2004 5:15 pm

Scintilla wrote:
Knù¢klés wrote:and the two dialogues are English and Chinese and it says on the site -

Are we looking at the same DVDs here? The FX release has no Chinese anywhere on it, just English and Japanese audio, and English subtitles. It's basically the same thing as the official R1 release, just on fewer discs, in cheaper packaging, and with an amusing copyright warning that tells us that we're not allowed to play these DVDs in places like hospitals, hotels, prisons, and <i>oil rigs.</i> :)
is the FX release the bootlegs ... hold on let me take a pic of the crap they sent me :P

sorry i had to use my webcam... digi cams busted :? not that it matters

=============

Also good idea Joykiller :wink: i may try that but then again i might not.. mmm im considering it :)

Spot the EvA :P
TheKorovaMilkbar Q: Why does Fei where those hot pants half-way up her crack? (cowboy bebop)
Kracus A: because it is easier than wiping

http://player.id-t.com

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Thu May 20, 2004 5:59 pm

Hm, after looking at those pictures, I think you must have gotten HK bootlegs or something (which would explain the Chinese). It's not FX if it doesn't have the FX logo on the spine and back of the box. Though the <i>front</i> of the box does look almost exactly the same.
ImageImage

Voices_Of_Ryan
Org Profile

Post by Voices_Of_Ryan » Sun May 23, 2004 2:33 pm

m00nL355 wrote:regular videotapes (VHS i think they're called :?: )...
You just made me feel really, really old :(.

But yeah, bootlegs are pretty bad investments 0o, though to be honest, it would be interesting to see just how many people on the org use bootlegs as their mainsource.
"hey... no"

shai-hulud
Org Profile

Post by shai-hulud » Wed May 26, 2004 7:06 pm

Knù¢klés wrote: lies lies lies... i just want every1 to be weary not to get stuck with these cheap peices of c+r-a=p
They may have just scanned and copied the original packaging which had all the details that you describe.
... and that's the story of how you were born
NOOOOOO!

allyourbasearebelongtous
Org Profile

Post by allyourbasearebelongtous » Fri May 28, 2004 12:53 am

Another thing to watch out for, complete ineptness. E.g. If you look at another auction by the 1st E-Bay Bootlegger discussed, he totally screws up his description of Cowboy Bebop. He says that the people who left Earth are called Cowboy Bebops and that Jet is a cyborg. Wtf. If you're going to be a criminal, at least don't be stupid too. :roll:
Give Blood, Play Rugby!
My martial arts titles : Black Belt in Shaolin Kenpo; Staff Master; Sword Master
"The point of war is not to die for you country, but to make the other poor bastard die for his." -General George S. Patton

madmag9999
Org Profile

Post by madmag9999 » Fri May 28, 2004 10:10 pm

only stupid ppl sell bootlegs, and even stupider ppl buy them
Moonslayer's Guide to a-m-v.org | AD & ErMaC's Guides to Audio & Video
"I'm sorry but i don't trust anything that bleeds for 5 days and doesn't die."

Return to “General Anime”