I Still Love Dragonball Z!

trunksgreatestfan
Org Profile

Post by trunksgreatestfan » Wed Nov 26, 2003 10:22 pm

I LOVE TRUNKS

kearlywi
Location: University of Colorado, Colorado Springs (Recording Arts Major)
Org Profile

Post by kearlywi » Thu Nov 27, 2003 2:07 am

azulmagia wrote:
Arigatomyna wrote:Inuyasha (didn't like) OMGWTF
Escaflowne (didn't like) Hitomi=hottie, manga Hitomi w. glasses also hot
Golden Boy (Hated)
OMGWTF! lmao. I have to agree. Ari, it is easy to dismiss Inuyasha early but it is an amazing show because it just keeps getting better with every episode for an unfathomable amount of time. I didnt even like the show until the end of season 1. Its just one of those shows that is very popular AND deserves it. Its worth giving a strong try.

Same goes for Escaflowne. (more on this later).

Golden Boy? Well, granted I have nearly opposite tastes than you, but Golden Boy was my favorite anime at one point. I mean I almost died laughing. But then again, its the VERY DEFINITION of shonen comedy.
Arigatomyna wrote:I don't like Inuyasha because I don't like Kagome or Kikyo - and most of the anime is about them.
DING DING DING DING DING! Right answer. Kikyo is one of my favorite anime characters of all time, right from the beginning she's a very strong woman with character. Its masterful how we learn so much about her after she is dead, and its very effective for creating her character. She changes over the course of the anime and becomes completely unpredictable, and I really felt her feelings strongly. As for kagome, yeah she's kind of dumb (especially in season 1), and shes a cutie (a combination which may have rubbed you the wrong way), but I still really grew to like her, she matures and changes as the anime progresses, and I love seeing that in characters, as it is so rare in people.
You must have seen a decent chunk of the anime, the anime REALLY does revolve around these characters, and the best episodes (in my opinion) feature Kikyo in all of her eternal madness.
Arigatomyna wrote:Escaflowne - I hated Hitome's character, and the romance seemed way too quick for me (I just didn't see it happening).
Right on AGAIN! However, I love escaflowne the anime. Folken is exactly like me in so many ways, I don't think I've ever related more to any character to anything in my life! I have one sibling, a younger brother, about the same difference in age (as Folken and his brother). I have even been calmly fighting a quiet war to get my younger brother to come to the same university I am at (he graduates in May), Just like Folken trying to get his brother to join Zaibach :wink: . He's resisting too. I think I'll fail like Folken did. But despite my personal reasons, its got a wonderful soundtrack, very good animation for 1996, incredibly well developed and very likeable characters, and a very good story. I'll admit, the love story you are reffering to PISSED ME OFF to no ends (I didnt see it happening either, it was way too weak anyway to be worth it regardless). It almost ruined what was nearly the best anime I ever saw. Even still, it sounds like you saw the whole show. I'm amazed you didn't like it. :?
Arigatomyna wrote:I actually have a different reason for hating a lot on my 'I think I'll dislike' list. For instance, Cowboy Bebop bored the crap out of me when I watched parts of it, I didn't like the animation, and the storyline wasn't very interesting (to me).
Frankly, thats about as an unpopular opinion that I've ever heard. I might just be the only person who agrees with you. Granted I didn't HATE Cowboy Bebop, I just think its horribly overrated, but it is an upper-echelon anime just the same. Cowboy bebop was boring 2/3 of the time. The animation was completely amazing (and fluid) for 1998, so I dont understand that comment. And yes, the storyline needed work. The 5 episodes that focused on Vicious and Spike were by far the best in the series, and made me really wonder how good the series would have been if they decided to make 10 or 15 such episodes. In the end I just felt the characters were underdeveloped (except for Faye, barely), and really didnt care nearly as much as I should have. The ending pissed me off too, as great as it was, because I felt the show was FINALLY starting to kick ass and I was hoping for a second season.

Anyway, yes go see Berserk. It is a very clever anime in some places, and really dumb in others, and the ending is fucked up beyond even Neon Genesis Evangelions, however, the anime simply gets better with every episode starting with the 2nd dvd, and some rather unexpected things happen in the late DVD's. Granted, I didnt spoil it for myself with AMV's, but still. :wink:

Arigatomina
Org Profile

Post by Arigatomina » Thu Nov 27, 2003 2:46 am

kearlywi wrote:OMGWTF! lmao. I have to agree. Ari, it is easy to dismiss Inuyasha early but it is an amazing show because it just keeps getting better with every episode for an unfathomable amount of time.
Well, I don't remember exactly where I stopped watching it (it's been a while), but I know I saw up through an episode with one of Naraku's 'clone' guys was running around naked and had to be 'absorbed' back into Naraku. o.o That's all I really remember about that episode, but I think it may have been the last one I saw. I don't know where that falls in the timeline since it's such a long series, but I know I saw quite a few episodes before I stopped.
Golden Boy? Well, granted I have nearly opposite tastes than you, but Golden Boy was my favorite anime at one point. I mean I almost died laughing. But then again, its the VERY DEFINITION of shonen comedy.
Heh, it was funny the first time I saw 10 minutes of it. After that I got dissatisfied very quickly. ^_^;; The comedy was a little too strong for me - and the entire topic is something I don't watch to begin with. It was my friend's dvd or I'd never have watched any of it.
DING DING DING DING DING! Right answer. Kikyo is one of my favorite anime characters of all time, right from the beginning she's a very strong woman with character. Its masterful how we learn so much about her after she is dead, and its very effective for creating her character. She changes over the course of the anime and becomes completely unpredictable, and I really felt her feelings strongly.
Of the two, Kikyo is the one I like better just for her character. But the entire romantic triangle was 'blagh' for me. I didn't mind Kagome up until Kikyo came back into the story and suddenly she was acting as if she and Inuyasha were going steady and she had some sort of claim over him. o.O I had to rewatch the series up to that point twice before I realized I hadn't missed any such hints and that she'd just suddenly decided she had a right to feel like he had cheated on her. Again - blagh. I know it gets sweet and cute later on, but considering what it's based around and my feelings toward the anime (Inuyasha falling in love with the only two human females who were ever nice to him, two who just so happen to share a soul) and the old 'school girl falling into an alternate dimension where the main guy automatically loves her within 3 episodes at most' cliche....no, don't like it. Blagh. :?
However, I love escaflowne the anime. Folken is exactly like me in so many ways, I don't think I've ever related more to any character to anything in my life!
I don't mind watching parts of the anime, but considering how much screentime Hitome had, it's hard to enjoy it when I dislike her entire character and the romantic cliche surrounding her character. It's just another 'school girl into an alternate universe = instant love from every male in sight' romance. Blagh.
The animation was completely amazing (and fluid) for 1998, so I dont understand that comment.
Oh, I didn't say the animation was bad, just that I didn't like it. I dislike the style they used to draw the characters - I don't like the way they did *any* of the characters. The animation style itself - not to say it wasn't drawn pretty or colored well, or even animated well. I just don't like the style one bit. :?

[I never said I had *good* reasons for disliking the anime listed - just that I dislike them for my own reasons. ^_^;; I seem to be rather picky when it comes to an anime I keep on my 'buy/own/watch repeatedly' list.]

Final Saiyyan
Org Profile

Post by Final Saiyyan » Thu Nov 27, 2003 10:00 pm

what are you kidding me!!!!( its time i gave dbz credit for once) its one of the most kickass shows in the anime world(says final saiyyan :P hah)
not the best show ive seen i prefer COWBOY BEBOP OR TENCHI UNIVERSE mabye even outlaw star, but none the less its a original and creative (if not slightly REPETITIVE) anime programs there is!!!! :) :) :) :) aww warm fuzzies all round :roll:

kearlywi
Location: University of Colorado, Colorado Springs (Recording Arts Major)
Org Profile

Post by kearlywi » Fri Nov 28, 2003 8:31 pm

Arigatomyna wrote:Of the two, Kikyo is the one I like better just for her character. But the entire romantic triangle was 'blagh' for me. I didn't mind Kagome up until Kikyo came back into the story and suddenly she was acting as if she and Inuyasha were going steady and she had some sort of claim over him. o.O I had to rewatch the series up to that point twice before I realized I hadn't missed any such hints and that she'd just suddenly decided she had a right to feel like he had cheated on her. Again - blagh. I know it gets sweet and cute later on, but considering what it's based around and my feelings toward the anime (Inuyasha falling in love with the only two human females who were ever nice to him, two who just so happen to share a soul) and the old 'school girl falling into an alternate dimension where the main guy automatically loves her within 3 episodes at most' cliche....no, don't like it. Blagh. :?
However, I love escaflowne the anime. Folken is exactly like me in so many ways, I don't think I've ever related more to any character to anything in my life!
I don't mind watching parts of the anime, but considering how much screentime Hitome had, it's hard to enjoy it when I dislike her entire character and the romantic cliche surrounding her character. It's just another 'school girl into an alternate universe = instant love from every male in sight' romance. Blagh.
I definitely definitely agree with almost everthing you said. I very strongly agree with you about hitomi from Escaflowne, she and Merle were about the only bad things about that anime, and I had to see it 3 times before I felt Merle was no longer annoying or Hitomi no longer an obnoxious whiner. The love stories that involved Hitomi were both a complete joke.
Thankfully, the anime didnt really rely on love as much as plot, character development, and atmosphere.

Oh and yeah, the whole Inuyasha/Kagome love story is sickeningly cliche. I mean in the second episode when Inuyasha blows through a wall to save Kagome from the zombie bandit lord, a friend of mine actually said in a sarcastic, "cute" voice: "Ooooh, someones in love!" :lol:

However, I felt that Kikyo's/Inuyasha love was very heartfelt, and very tragic. It didnt seem fake to me at all. Over the series, Kagome matures (Inuyasha doesnt, not really) and her "love" slowly begins to feel legitimate. I kind of feel that once a person really falls in love, they can never be in love to the same level with anyone else, so I guess after "losing" Kikyo before the anime begins, Kagome kind of felt like an obstacle to me. But over time I did begin to sympathize with her character. In fact the only major character I don't have a lot of sympathy for is Inuyasha (I am the same with Ranma 1/2 and Ranma).

Final Saiyyan
Org Profile

Post by Final Saiyyan » Fri Nov 28, 2003 9:39 pm

i only really like dbz for the cool loking characters and transformations. i think that and the originality of it mostly hold it together! :D :) :D

Inuyasha666
Org Profile

Post by Inuyasha666 » Thu Dec 04, 2003 6:37 am

I know I'm a little late into this thread and all, but I have to voice my opinion. Dragonball Z is truly a great anime, and what really got me into other animes. Such as Inuyasha, Slayers, Evangelion, Outlaw Star, etc. Trust me, the list goes on and on. I don't think I woulda became a serious anime freak like I am today were it not for DBZ. I started watching it on CN back in like 2001. :( Then I started to buy the Funimation DVDs once I got a job and had money to buy them. :) I watched the Japanese Version, and like everyone says, it's definetly incomparable to the Funi Dub, which is a pile of crap. Everything about the original is so much better. Well, anyways, that's my 2 cents. And any DBZ hating biatch is going to make fun of me, I'll humbly welcome them to my foot in their arse. :twisted:

~$hi$~
Org Profile

Post by ~$hi$~ » Thu Dec 04, 2003 9:25 pm

trunksgreatestfan wrote:I LOVE TRUNKS
tihs is my old account
hi im kyle and im a newb so plz dont flame me thanks TheDarknessFlame Final Saiyyan and El Bannana ty :lol:

MAS PRODUCTIONS
Org Profile

Post by MAS PRODUCTIONS » Thu Dec 04, 2003 9:32 pm

~$hi$~ wrote:
trunksgreatestfan wrote:I LOVE TRUNKS
tihs is my old account
Forum Rules set by Phade states:

5. Thou shalt only have one user account.
"What about us lesbians? . . . Your gonna burn in hell of course!" - MXC
"Hey dont knock masturbation, its sex with someone I love!" -- Woody Allen
"Evil will always triumph 'cuz good is dumb!" - Dark Helmet

Final Saiyyan
Org Profile

Post by Final Saiyyan » Fri Dec 05, 2003 1:40 pm

yeah but , its not like he just fancied anew account for the fun of it .

so long as your not dwnlding videos onn both sites.

mabye you could ask phade to remove the old account :D

Return to “General Anime”