Anime dubbing

CaTaClYsM
Org Profile

Anime dubbing

Post by CaTaClYsM » Fri Aug 16, 2002 4:17 pm

I know that anime dubs are usually bad, but not all, You have animes like Akira, and princes mononoke and macross plus all had good dubs. My question is, what does it take to get a good dub for an anime? What defines the priorety of an anime to get a good dub, do certain companies do better dubs than other, and how often does it come down to luck?
So in other words, one part of the community is waging war on another part of the community because they take their community seriously enough to want to do so. Then they tell the powerless side to get over the loss cause it's just an online community. I'm glad people make so much sense." -- Tab

Clara Yuri Asaki
Location: Where the Goddesses sleep in each other's arms peacefully... Loves: Shoujo-Ai and Yuri
Org Profile

Good question

Post by Clara Yuri Asaki » Fri Aug 16, 2002 4:39 pm

I think most people who voice act for animes (in America) are a bit embarressed. I don't know why. It just seems like they're a bit shy and embarressed when they voice act. In Japan, everyone loves voice acting for Animes, and they get so exicted about it. Americans don't seem as crazed about it. But that's changing. Check out Excel Saga, Jessica Calvello does insanely-cool voice acting for Excel. Perfect.

You want the best Dub for an anime? Find people that really love anime to voice act. I wonder how many English anime voice actors are actually anime fans....

Of couse, it takes spirit to voice act for Anime, and alot of it! :D

(the best idea for now is to buy anime on DVD, so you can watch it either Dubbed or Subbed, since the Japanese dialogue is usual better anyways. Well, 100% of the times I've compared anyways.)
Image Image Image
- ^_^ Love and more love! ^_^ -

leathelanime
Org Profile

Post by leathelanime » Sat Aug 17, 2002 10:56 am

you shouldnt of even posted this subject.Anime Fans dont know what it takes to make a good dub.Only the producers and the poeple who Directed it knows.

leathelanime
Org Profile

Post by leathelanime » Sat Aug 17, 2002 10:58 am

well atleast these people on this forum.

Chaos Angel
Org Profile

Post by Chaos Angel » Sat Aug 17, 2002 12:21 pm

To make a good dub, or a good anything, it would take a director who had a clear vision of what he/she wanted, and actors who have the drive and the desire to get into the character's minds and play out the scene as if they were that character. This may just be me, but I think it is highly important to understand the character you are playing.
Fragile and Frail | Summertime

I'm not a vegetarian because I enjoy eating cute animals.

UncleMilo
Org Profile

Post by UncleMilo » Sat Aug 17, 2002 12:49 pm

I quote a person who is very knowledgeable on this topic.

EVERYTHING STARTS WITH THE SCRIPT.

A bad script translation will lead to a bad dub. Trust me.

However... the next hurdle is the director.

A bad voice director will kill a good script. A bad voice director will make a bad script worse.

Then there's the corporation reps... they are not always a factor...
but imagine how hard it is to direct a voice actor when you're getting outside comments from a Japanese exec who doesn't even understand English... and yet is trying to call shots.

Try taking a direction like this...

"Let's try it again... and try to make your voice less singing."

I had to deal with that one... I never did understand what that was supposed to mean.

Finally... there are the actors.

Some are actually bad, but if a bad actor is used... that is more the fault of the voice director... I mean, if they can't tell, then maybe they should look for another job.

I have heard good actors do horrible jobs... and it usually isn't there fault.

Remember...voice actors take directions. We are told what to do, how to sound and we don't get to say "wouldn't it be better if..."

Anyway...

just thought I would mention a few thoughts.

-Uncle Milo
There are two kinds of people in this world:
Those who divide people into two kinds of groups
and those who don't.

Garylisk
Org Profile

Post by Garylisk » Sat Aug 17, 2002 4:43 pm

leathelanime wrote:you shouldnt of even posted this subject.Anime Fans dont know what it takes to make a good dub.Only the producers and the poeple who Directed it knows.
Jeez, I must know nothing about anime then, becuse 90% of all dubs I've seen sucked horridly.

But I guess if the directors know how to do the dub right, who am I, as a stupid fan, to say otherwise?

.....Oh yeah, cuz it sucked! :P
Alcohol, Drugs, Overdrive, Noise, Neon Lights, Party People, Revolution

leathelanime
Org Profile

Post by leathelanime » Sat Aug 17, 2002 6:37 pm

Garylisk wrote:
leathelanime wrote:you shouldnt of even posted this subject.Anime Fans dont know what it takes to make a good dub.Only the producers and the poeple who Directed it knows.
Jeez, I must know nothing about anime then, becuse 90% of all dubs I've seen sucked horridly.

But I guess if the directors know how to do the dub right, who am I, as a stupid fan, to say otherwise?

.....Oh yeah, cuz it sucked! :P

SURE MAN! keep that thought of yours and we will all fly to the heavens one day...

But you know some people dont think some dubs are bad....I mean some people love the YUYU Hakusho dub and then theres the people who love those chinese Kung Fu flick dubs.....

Return to “General Anime”