MY DUB RANT (Sailor Moon mostly, but other dubs a little)

kthulhu
Org Profile

Post by kthulhu » Tue Jul 30, 2002 2:24 am

Dubs I like:

Perfect Blue
Jin-Roh(at least the one I saw in the theaters)
Evangelion(first series,what can I say?)
Goldenboy
Original Akira,for some reason.Haven't heard the new one yet,though.
Ranma,surprisingly enough.I think the English VAs do a more interesting job with the characters.
I'm out...

UncleMilo
Org Profile

Post by UncleMilo » Tue Jul 30, 2002 2:35 am

Dubs I like:

Ranma 1/2 - Though I am very upset that Teryl Rothery (the Voice for Kodachi) left... the replacement was quite poor in comparison... and Kodachi was one of my favorite characters...

The first dub of Arislan - The first few eps were dubbed in England. The voices suited the characters quite well. Then some other company started to dub the episodes and it was razors to the eardrums.

Cowboy Bebop - The best dub I have ever heard, hands down.

NieA_7 - Very good dub, and I'm not saying that just because I'm in it.

Star Blazers - I have no excuse for liking this dub other than it's what I watched as a kid and it's what got me into anime and so I like it mostly for nostalgic reasons.

With the exception of NieA, these are the only titles I watch in English anyway. When I see something from another country, be it a film or an anime, I like to hear it in its original language anyway.

-Uncle Milo
There are two kinds of people in this world:
Those who divide people into two kinds of groups
and those who don't.

Sierra Lorna
Org Profile

Post by Sierra Lorna » Wed Jul 31, 2002 1:31 am

The reason the Sailor Moon dub is so bad is because they completely kid-ified it. They probably thought a cartoon would be more popular among five-year-olds than among teens or adults. And I'm not even going to try to deny that the dub is horrible. The name thing doesn't bother me too much, just their voices and the dialogue. Usagi sounds like a blonde bimbette.
But "chibi" does actually mean "small" or "mini" in English. All they did was translate Chibi-Moon's name to Mini-Moon.

In Trigun, the dub wasn't really bad at all, but it bothered me how Milly called Meryl just "Meryl" rather than "Ma'am (Sempai)" like in the subbed. That was important to the plot! It makes sense though: "Meryl" has 2 syllables while "Ma'am" only has 1. At least they had a reason for doing that.

Rozard
Org Profile

Post by Rozard » Wed Jul 31, 2002 1:36 am

Sierra Lorna wrote:The reason the Sailor Moon dub is so bad is because they completely kid-ified it. They probably thought a cartoon would be more popular among five-year-olds than among teens or adults. And I'm not even going to try to deny that the dub is horrible. The name thing doesn't bother me too much, just their voices and the dialogue. Usagi sounds like a blonde bimbette.
But "chibi" does actually mean "small" or "mini" in English. All they did was translate Chibi-Moon's name to Mini-Moon.
Another reason it was so bad was that there were about 5 different VAs for Sailor Moon.
RichLather: We are guests of this forum, and as such we do not make the rules.
BishounenStalker The freedom to suck is what makes the Internet rock.

kthulhu
Org Profile

Post by kthulhu » Wed Jul 31, 2002 2:28 am

Rozard wrote: Another reason it was so bad was that there were about 5 different VAs for Sailor Moon.
Including Bruno Polowski,usually credited as "Grunting Sex FX Man" in hentai movies.

I think he did a great job as the head Moon*sniff*. Too bad he's dead now(he got the Vegetable AIDS,very rare disease).
I'm out...

TekkaRepliroid Zero
Org Profile

Post by TekkaRepliroid Zero » Wed Jul 31, 2002 11:13 am

Sierra Lorna wrote:"Meryl" has 2 syllables while "Ma'am" only has 1. At least they had a reason for doing that.
Don't mean to be a jbone here, but that's false, ma'am is 2 sylables.
<i>TekkaRepliroid Zero</i>
I'll Never be the One that she Needs (first DL-able vid, ops appreciated)
"OOW, Why does it huuuuuuurt?!" - Zim
"Ooonly if you dance with meeeee" - GIR

TheRealNeoHentaiMaster
Org Profile

Post by TheRealNeoHentaiMaster » Wed Jul 31, 2002 3:08 pm

TekkaRepliroid Zero wrote:
Sierra Lorna wrote:"Meryl" has 2 syllables while "Ma'am" only has 1. At least they had a reason for doing that.
Don't mean to be a jbone here, but that's false, ma'am is 2 sylables.

Ok buddy, say the word "ma'am" out loud to yourself and tell me how many times your mouth opens and closes. Now say the word "Sempia" amd tell me how many times it opens and closes. Notice a difference? Well there ya go. I supose if you put a really awkward unnatural accent on it you could say ma'am in two mouth movements, but then people would complain about how the VA says it all retarded.

Garylisk
Org Profile

Post by Garylisk » Wed Jul 31, 2002 5:17 pm

Ma'am is two syllables, thus the apostrophie. A syllable does not mean how many times you open your mouth. In its proper and actual pronunciation, ma'am is two syllables. I imagine you pronounce it "mam"
Alcohol, Drugs, Overdrive, Noise, Neon Lights, Party People, Revolution

afleetinghope
Org Profile

Post by afleetinghope » Wed Jul 31, 2002 5:40 pm

[quote="UncleMilo]In fact, many of the industry voice directors I know are equally impressed with how good the Cowboty Bebop dub is.
[/quote]

Guess we found why dubs suck.

artfreak13
Org Profile

Post by artfreak13 » Wed Jul 31, 2002 8:56 pm

some dubs , believe it or not, are good. some are also bad

cowboy bebop is the best example of dub
it usually is the effort put into it that counts, though i prefer not hear the sissy dub voice of shinji
AOL discs.... just chuck 'em

Return to “General Anime”