DEATH BAAAAATTTTTLLLEEEEEE!! Interesting Discussion Inside

TwilightChrono
Org Profile

DEATH BAAAAATTTTTLLLEEEEEE!! Interesting Discussion Inside

Post by TwilightChrono » Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:29 am

With ScrewAttack's upcoming most anticipated Death Battle: Goku Vs. Superman, I figrued I'd go ahead and bring up a match I've been trying to get them to do forever.

Here it is:

Edward Elric (The FullMetal Alchemist) Vs. Sho Fukamachi (The Guyver)

Now before you guys go and start saying that it is an unfair match-up, I would like to point out that it is not.

Both are on = footing in terms of fighting capaility and strength. All The Guyver is, is Bio-Boosted Armor. If you sit and think, Ed has fought similar beings. Hell, he is used to fighting immortals and killing them. And he was able to do this by re-arranging the molecules of said person into somethign more manageable. Perfect Example would be his fight against Greed, or Sloth by basically turning her into Vapor.

Now in Sho's case. He isn't much of a fighter. The suit was forced onto him from the get go, so already his knowledge in martial arts and self defense is limited. As Ed had training form a young age Sho has no prior training and all of his strength comes from the Bio Boosted Armor.

Out of the suit, it's no contest. Ed wins. In the suit however, is a different story. The suit up's Sho's reaction time and basically allows him to see 360 degrees. Basically has eyes in the back of his head. Has a number of abilities at his disposal thanks to the suit and can take a beating. Hell, if Sho is knocked unconscious at any point during the fight or even killed WHILE IN THE SUIT the suit takes over as a preservation mechanic and fights until it can't fight anymore.

Also, a side note. While is is used to fighting immortals, Sho has taken down Gods. So, both of them have impressive resumes to bring to the table as well.

After it's all said and done, they are on equal footing. Ed is fast and light on his feet despite his automail and can basically use the forces of nature and his surrounding to his advantage. While The Guyver is Raw power and speed.

Now with all that being said. Who think's it would be a good fight?

I would actually like to know your thoughts. Please keep the discussion relevent to the topic.
Premiering At Another Anime Con 2012

Jasta85
Org Profile

Re: DEATH BAAAAATTTTTLLLEEEEEE!! Interesting Discussion Insi

Post by Jasta85 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:44 pm

Does sho get the guyver gigantic upgrade? I'd say that pretty much be a no contest at that point.

But even if he didn't have it, so long as sho fought smartly (which sadly he rarely does) then he could very easily take out Ed.

reasons sho can win:
1. Sho can fly: yes Ed an launch himself around or make a pillar of stone or something but full flight control trumps that. Actually the suite has gravity control which means Sho could keep Ed floored in addition to giving himself flight.
2. The bioboost suit is pretty much untouchable to ed: the bioboost suite has deflected bullets and all sorts of physical projectiles with ease, maybe Ed could make a really big cannon or something but that would take at least a little time during which sho could take out ed at range (see flying in reason number 1). Also, the suite is not made of any materials found on earth, so I don't believe ed could transmute it like normal elements that he is familiar with (arguable) but still, sho can fly so that should be moot.
3. Sho has a LOT of weapons, as in fricken lasers (moving at the speed of light) which he can fire off at Ed, and I don't care how fast Ed is, he can't dodge light. And the guyver suite is able to react to threats automatically, for example when someone fired a bullet at sho's friend the guyver shot the bullet out of the air with its head beam. One head beam to Ed's face would end the fight, period. He can't dodge light and the suite can track him easily. I'm not even going to go into the mega crusher, vibro blades, sonic/gravity cannon, the head beam is enough.

reasons why Ed would win:
Sho is an idiot as usual and doesn't use the suite's full potential and probably tries to beat Ed without killing him, thus losing (sho tends to lose a lot of his fights because of reasons liket his.

If it was Agito vrs Ed, Agito would win hands down. He doesn't mess around, he eliminates any threats quickly and intelligently.

TwilightChrono
Org Profile

Post by TwilightChrono » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:20 pm

Jasta85 wrote:Does sho get the guyver gigantic upgrade? I'd say that pretty much be a no contest at that point.

But even if he didn't have it, so long as sho fought smartly (which sadly he rarely does) then he could very easily take out Ed.

reasons sho can win:
1. Sho can fly: yes Ed an launch himself around or make a pillar of stone or something but full flight control trumps that. Actually the suite has gravity control which means Sho could keep Ed floored in addition to giving himself flight.
2. The bioboost suit is pretty much untouchable to ed: the bioboost suite has deflected bullets and all sorts of physical projectiles with ease, maybe Ed could make a really big cannon or something but that would take at least a little time during which sho could take out ed at range (see flying in reason number 1). Also, the suite is not made of any materials found on earth, so I don't believe ed could transmute it like normal elements that he is familiar with (arguable) but still, sho can fly so that should be moot.
3. Sho has a LOT of weapons, as in fricken lasers (moving at the speed of light) which he can fire off at Ed, and I don't care how fast Ed is, he can't dodge light. And the guyver suite is able to react to threats automatically, for example when someone fired a bullet at sho's friend the guyver shot the bullet out of the air with its head beam. One head beam to Ed's face would end the fight, period. He can't dodge light and the suite can track him easily. I'm not even going to go into the mega crusher, vibro blades, sonic/gravity cannon, the head beam is enough.

reasons why Ed would win:
Sho is an idiot as usual and doesn't use the suite's full potential and probably tries to beat Ed without killing him, thus losing (sho tends to lose a lot of his fights because of reasons liket his.

If it was Agito vrs Ed, Agito would win hands down. He doesn't mess around, he eliminates any threats quickly and intelligently.
Pretty good defense on Sho there. I agree with a lot of the points made, except for the not know how to transmute the suit. Ed had no idea what Greed's composition was originally either. Let's also take into account Ed with the Philosopher stone as well. Meaning he wouldn't need to figrue it out. He could break it down just because he could.

I wasn't including the MegaGuyver in this scenario. So let's leave that out. Keep in mind that Sho always has his sidekick with him as well. Watching at a distance. Sometimes, this get's Sho into more trouble than not. As he winds up protecting him rather than fighting back. Forseeing that ed misses a shot or whatever, it starts flying towards his friend. guyver rushes over to stop it and take a pummeling in the process. happens in a bunch of animes.

However, by the same token, Al is with Ed a majority of the time. So that is something to consider as well. But we will leave it at a 1v1 for now.

Guyver's Mega Smasher, yes. 1 Shot 1 kill. Insta Gib, Insta Win. However, could also mean Instaw Win or Insta Loss. Guyver is only able to use it once per day and it takes an insane amount of time to charge leaving him Vulnerable as all hell while charging. If he misses the Mega Smasher then he is pretty much effed in the A for the remainder of the fight, since it drains a majority of the suits power.

The head beam is one of the techniques that Sho never learned to use properly. As I recall, he only used it once in the series and he used it unknowingly.

The gravity balls, insta kill if it hits, but they move rather slow and they don't home in.

If you think about it, all Ed really needs to do is get 1 GOOD shot on the control metal and it's game ever. The battle could go either way. I don't think it's an isnta win on either side.

Jasta85
Org Profile

Post by Jasta85 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:34 pm

A lot depends on how much each person knows about the other. If they know absolutely nothing about each other, then yes it could go either way. I'm going to go with Ed not having the philosopher's stone, it's not something he normally has, just his regular alchemic powers from seeing the gate of truth. the philosopher's stone is like ultimate tool in alchemy in the series (In fact I don't think Ed ever actually uses a philosopher stone, Alphonse uses it in a few fights but not Ed, let me know if I'm wrong.) If he was able to use it then Sho would arguably be able to use the guyver gigantic, as it does become a part of his regular arsenal later on the series, however I think Ed's alchemy vrs the base guyver suit makes the best match up.

You mentioned Ed didn't know what greed was made of, he actually did (chapters 28 and 29 of FMA) greed says he's made up of the same composition as normal humans, Ed deduced that he used carbon from his body to make his iron skin. Ed then says "so long as I know how it works my knowledge in alchemy will do the rest". Meaning so long as he knows what materials are used and how they are used he can then manipulate them.

In fact, in chapter 64 when he first fights the briggs soldiers, he tries to transmutate an automail arm of the bear guy but fails becuase he doesn't yet know what it's made of. This proves he needs to know what something is made of before he can work with it. No one knows what the guyver suites are made of (at least no one in the current series) and I don't think Ed would have much of a chance to study them.

After that it comes down to tactics. As I mentioned in my first post, Sho is not the best fighter, he usually gets bashed around a bunch before pulling out a new move. If he were actually competent enough to use the suites full potential then he could win quite quickly, however if he's his usual self then it's possible he could lose. Ed on the other hand is definitely smarter, but the guyver suite is so completely different that he would pretty much have no idea of how to deal with it (other than shooting lots of stuff at it and figuring out what it can do by observing it) so he would have no idea that the control metal is the vulnerable part of the suite. A lucky shot could possibly hit and destroy the control metal but that's just leaving everything to chance.

The guyver suite offers the best advantage in a fight, as it could potentially take out its target in less than a second (if it's target is just a human, which Ed is). However, a weapon is only as good as it's wielder, which is where Sho falls short. Ed is the smarter one so given enough time he might be able to figure out a way to take down the guyver, but that would depend on Sho being dumb enough to give him that opportunity. So there's no definite answer.

TwilightChrono
Org Profile

Post by TwilightChrono » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:49 pm

Jasta85 wrote:A lot depends on how much each person knows about the other. If they know absolutely nothing about each other, then yes it could go either way. I'm going to go with Ed not having the philosopher's stone, it's not something he normally has, just his regular alchemic powers from seeing the gate of truth. the philosopher's stone is like ultimate tool in alchemy in the series (In fact I don't think Ed ever actually uses a philosopher stone, Alphonse uses it in a few fights but not Ed, let me know if I'm wrong.) If he was able to use it then Sho would arguably be able to use the guyver gigantic, as it does become a part of his regular arsenal later on the series, however I think Ed's alchemy vrs the base guyver suit makes the best match up.

You mentioned Ed didn't know what greed was made of, he actually did (chapters 28 and 29 of FMA) greed says he's made up of the same composition as normal humans, Ed deduced that he used carbon from his body to make his iron skin. Ed then says "so long as I know how it works my knowledge in alchemy will do the rest". Meaning so long as he knows what materials are used and how they are used he can then manipulate them.

In fact, in chapter 64 when he first fights the briggs soldiers, he tries to transmutate an automail arm of the bear guy but fails becuase he doesn't yet know what it's made of. This proves he needs to know what something is made of before he can work with it. No one knows what the guyver suites are made of (at least no one in the current series) and I don't think Ed would have much of a chance to study them.

After that it comes down to tactics. As I mentioned in my first post, Sho is not the best fighter, he usually gets bashed around a bunch before pulling out a new move. If he were actually competent enough to use the suites full potential then he could win quite quickly, however if he's his usual self then it's possible he could lose. Ed on the other hand is definitely smarter, but the guyver suite is so completely different that he would pretty much have no idea of how to deal with it (other than shooting lots of stuff at it and figuring out what it can do by observing it) so he would have no idea that the control metal is the vulnerable part of the suite. A lucky shot could possibly hit and destroy the control metal but that's just leaving everything to chance.

The guyver suite offers the best advantage in a fight, as it could potentially take out its target in less than a second (if it's target is just a human, which Ed is). However, a weapon is only as good as it's wielder, which is where Sho falls short. Ed is the smarter one so given enough time he might be able to figure out a way to take down the guyver, but that would depend on Sho being dumb enough to give him that opportunity. So there's no definite answer.
Well, not knowing what the guyver suit is made of isn't as true as you think. In the movies: Yes I am speaking of the 2 Live Action Movies and a brief scene in the Bio Boosted series. They do refer to the Guyver suit as being composed of Completely organic materials. If I refer to it right, the refer to it as an armored epidermis. An extra layer of Armored skin composed of completely organic materials such as a Human's base composition. I'll have to drag up the scene but I'm pretty sure that is what is said.

So, transmuting Humans wouldn't be a thing for Ed. As when he fights to transmute something, I'm pretty sure he uses the Human composition as a base when doing all his Human Transmutations. Granted would he know all this? No.

But yeah, I agree. Base Ed versus Base Guyver. NO clear cut winner but there are a lot of factors to take in. As I recall, he did use the Philosophers stone in Brotherhood but I"m hard pressed to remember atm.

He wouldn't know about the control metal either but they have said that the control metal is an Organic Alloy.

Both fighters have the strength's and weaknesses. It's all a matter of who can exploit who's first.

Return to “General Anime”