ENGLISH DUB VS JAPANESE VERSION [here we go again]

TEKnician
Org Profile

ENGLISH DUB VS JAPANESE VERSION [here we go again]

Post by TEKnician » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:32 am

Yeah, yeah...we know, we know...

Basically:
Name an anime that (in your opinion) seemed better in English and one that seemed better in Japanese. And the ever-controversial question "Why?"
Almost as hard as fighting a Holy Paladin.

Cross/fade
Type-Moon <3
Org Profile

Re: ENGLISH DUB VS JAPANESE VERSION [here we go again]

Post by Cross/fade » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:24 pm

I LOVE Golden Boy english dub. That is all.

Enigma
That jolly ol' bastid
Org Profile

Post by Enigma » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:43 pm

Eternally stupid thread is bad in English

Eternally stupid thread is bad in Japanese.

CodeZTM
Spin Me Round
Org Profile

Post by CodeZTM » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:46 pm

I like both types equally. :3

Although there are a few that I did notice a few things when I watched the Japanese VS English dubs.

Kaleido Star was a lot better in Japanese [in my opinion], because the voice actor for Layla just didn't do it for me at all. :(

I've always loved the Pokemon english dubs to the Japanese ones. Especially this new season's voice actors. Love the voice talent they've got this year, especially for Iris. Oh, and this may be controversial, but I liked the Ouran English Dub over the Japanese one. XD

Hagaren Viper
Org Profile

Post by Hagaren Viper » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:04 pm

I'm a dub person myself, but I have no problem with subs either. For example, I prefer the Digimon dubs over the subs, even with all the punny jokes and edits, because I think the voices fit much better than their sub counterparts [Even if the characters sound a bit older than they should, though the sub is sometimes guilty of this as well]. Even if the sub isn't exactly a hit [D.Grayman comes to mind - while the performances were not bad, a lot of the voices didn't fit well with the characters], Ill probably stick with it anyway unless its just horrible [Pet Shop of Horrors, Narutaru].

And while Im generally of the opinion that American VAs can hit the same emotions that their japanese counterparts can, I did think that Makoto's dub voice in The Girl That Leapt Through Time wasn't quite as good as her seiyuu, but it was still a good dub and decent performance.
CodeZTM wrote:Oh, and this may be controversial, but I liked the Ouran English Dub over the Japanese one. XD
x2, actually. I had no idea how Vic could play Tamaki, but now that I've heard it...what does Tamaki sound like in Japanese again? XD

ibabrak
Org Profile

Post by ibabrak » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:48 pm

So I'm not big fan of dub (jap to eng; eng to czech; whatever to whatever)

But
I've seen Death note only in english and I don't want to watch it in jap... I've also seen the movie 1 in english (the one with actual actors) and the animemovie in jap and I gotta say that english dub works for me for this one.

I don't think there's anything else I'd rather watch with english dub than that
ImageImage

kapparomeo
Org Profile

Post by kapparomeo » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:26 pm

Gunslinger Girl had an excellent dub with some very assured performances - I especially enjoyed Laura Bailey, who pitched Henrietta's hesitant, timorous, juvenile insecurity perfectly. Some of the script revisions in the English version were also much more characterful and evocative and improved the atmosphere. The sequel Il Teatrino got dragged over the coals in Japan for altering the cast, but Funimation retained most of the original English cast for their version, providing a great sense of warmly familiar continuity.

TEKnician
Org Profile

Post by TEKnician » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:39 pm

Enigma wrote:Eternally stupid thread is bad in English

Apparently important enough to merit a post. It's a valid discussion!

DOES the language in which the anime is taken in affect the overall enjoyment?

Subs just detract from taking in the whole picture...LITERALLY! When my eyes can focus on the entire screen, i can take notice of more things right away without having to figure out the importance of it later on.

For me:
SOUL EATER- Japanese Maka=NO (so monotone, its irritating) / ENGLISH Maka=YES (knows proper sense stress and modulation)
Almost as hard as fighting a Holy Paladin.

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:26 pm

Only dub I ever felt was better was the one for Poemy. The VA commentary track on it wasn't bad either, which goes to show how relative "better" can be as a metric for comparison. Granted, I usually don't watch dubs by choice - only ones I've heard in the past 5 years or so are when things happen to be on TV within ear-shot. Maybe VAs have developed some form of talent they previously lacked.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

uncreative
Org Profile

Post by uncreative » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:38 pm

The_TEKnician wrote: For me:
SOUL EATER- Japanese Maka=NO (so monotone, its irritating)
She does get better as the show goes along, and she was pretty decent in Seitokai Yakuindomo. Remember that Maka was literally the first role she ever had.

Any show with Norio Wakamoto in it is automatically better subbed than dubbed. This even applies to those episodes of Cowboy Bebop with Vicious in them, although the dub for Bebop is generally quite good (side characters are exceptions at times). Same for anything with Satomi Arai in it, because DAT VOICE etc.
The_TEKnician wrote: Subs just detract from taking in the whole picture...LITERALLY! When my eyes can focus on the entire screen, i can take notice of more things right away without having to figure out the importance of it later on.
Conversely, I read very quickly and understand Japanese moderately well, so unless it's a rare occasion of subtitles actually sitting on top of something important I'm really only tangentially aware that they're there at all. Focusing on the entire screen isn't any harder than when there aren't words to read on the bottom, and you don't have to hear quite so many poor attempts to emote. Thankfully, Disney uses proper actors for voice work so Ghibli dubs tend to be of very high quality. I particularly like Billy Crystal's Calcifer.
Enigma wrote:Eternally stupid thread is bad in English

For all that I responded to this thread semi-seriously, ten thousand times this. I may as well start an Xbox vs. PlayStation thread for all the productiveness I'd get out of it.

Return to “General Anime”