Why Anime is Alive [and well] in North America

TEKnician
Org Profile

Why Anime is Alive [and well] in North America

Post by TEKnician » Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:55 pm

CodeZTM wrote:Just recently [within the last 2-3 years], my local video rental stores have been getting HUGE amounts of anime box sets and singles. Heck, we've even been getting releases when they actually get released! Actually, the local Hastings had to create an entire extra aisle for them all. Both rental and buy-wise.
Funimation wrote:We are still licensing anime and making DVDs and selling them in North America.
BANDAI wrote:Us too!
[adultswim] wrote:We still show anime (just after bedtime)
Toyota wrote:WE LOVE MIKU!
animenewsnetwork wrote:N. America's 2007 Anime Market Pegged at US$2.8 Billion
Kamina wrote:ImageHAVE FAITH IN ME! BELIEVE IN ME WHO BELIEVES IN YOU!
Solution to the slight decline in anime popularity/sales:

BUY THE DVD INSTEAD OF DOWNLOADING THEM ILLEGALLY!

/end of discussion
Almost as hard as fighting a Holy Paladin.

TEKnician
Org Profile

Re: Why Anime is Alive [and well] in North America

Post by TEKnician » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:05 pm

In 2010, anime sales DID decline. But its not DEAD.

Um, Tsunami? I think Japan had some other things they were dealing with too.

Sukunai
Org Profile

Post by Sukunai » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:51 pm

Some of the conventional dvd pipeline went out of business in recent times. Then again, if there is a market, someone will pick it up.

Looks like Funimation thinks there is a market.

The whole buy the dvd thing though. I don't think there is any reason to think the modern world really needs a dvd.

I don't need a dvd to watch a movie, I just need a source.
I no longer buy my games on physical media, there is no gain to having it on a disc in all cases.
So why should I only be able to get new purchased anime on disc?

I am just as capable of downloading LEGALLY an anime and burning it to disc if I desperately need it there.
But in recent times, I no longer really prefer physical storage. It's both cheaper and easier to just buy storage drives. 2TB far outweighs in usefulness an equal price quantity of burnable blank media. 100 bucks will get me 3 spindles of 100 4.7 gig blank discs. I can put more on a 2TB drive. I know this, as that is where all my discs are currently. I watch all my dvds as emulated disc images via my computer. Very handy, and disc images never get scratched. Not to mention I don't need to worry about putting them back.

The future of media, is likely going the route of all digital.

Hey I still want a lot of series, and I would be ok buying them as just digital downloads eh (with no fucking drm though).
And the perk is there is no middle man with their hand in the wallet of the source.
Anime, one of the few things about the internet that doesn't make me hate the internet.

Hagaren Viper
Org Profile

Post by Hagaren Viper » Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:57 pm

Hard copies all the way, please. \o/

dakotasapphire
Org Profile

Post by dakotasapphire » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:21 am

The_TEKnician wrote:
CodeZTM wrote:Just recently [within the last 2-3 years], my local video rental stores have been getting HUGE amounts of anime box sets and singles. Heck, we've even been getting releases when they actually get released! Actually, the local Hastings had to create an entire extra aisle for them all. Both rental and buy-wise.
Funimation wrote:We are still licensing anime and making DVDs and selling them in North America.
BANDAI wrote:Us too!
[adultswim] wrote:We still show anime (just after bedtime)
Toyota wrote:WE LOVE MIKU!
animenewsnetwork wrote:N. America's 2007 Anime Market Pegged at US$2.8 Billion
Kamina wrote:Quoted Image converted to link:
http://images.sodahead.com/polls/001121 ... large.jpegHAVE FAITH IN ME! BELIEVE IN ME WHO BELIEVES IN YOU!
Solution to the slight decline in anime popularity/sales:

BUY THE DVD INSTEAD OF DOWNLOADING THEM ILLEGALLY!

/end of discussion
I watch my anime on sites that do support the anime: Crunchyroll, youtube(under the show's categories), and Funimation's website. I think I have been supporting the anime through my time of watching ads, which help the companies. Its not like I'm going to watch any of the animes again. I'm not that type of person. I like to move on. I did get one anime dvd made by the same guy who created akira though. It was memories. I do not intend to make an amv with it. I'd rather just have it to say I have it, and not rip it. I don't really download anime to watch it. Its not my style. Its a stupid waste of hardrive memory.

Sukunai
Org Profile

Post by Sukunai » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:05 am

"I don't really download anime to watch it. Its not my style. Its a stupid waste of hardrive memory."

There will always be those that just like to casually watch anime, and that is not a problem.

Myself, I watch anime in all sorts of methods.

I like watching subbed, it often sounds more 'right' even if the subs always make me wonder if what the person said was truly what was subbed in.

I like 'watching' dubbed as I can 'watch' it while making a model and not really need my eyes fixed on the screen to know what is being said.

And I have lots of shows I have watched numerous times because some stuff I just love to watch as I liked it so much.

Only so many hours in the day too, and LOT of my stash will sometimes take me a few YEARS to get to after having been downloaded. And in some cases I have watched something and it was 'wow that was great' and if I had not downloaded it, often it takes a lot of effort to get it if at all possible later (because torrents are only fast and efficient the week something is released to the scene. Downloading 3-5 gigs on a torrent with 1 seed if any and just a few participants is a several days event, not 5 minutes.

I would be all over downloading legit anime ep files that were just data and not required to be properly converted disc images.
I'm NOT paying a fortune for them, but I am not against paying an almost same price for a boxed set. 30 bucks instead of 40 for a season is not so bad if you ask me.
Anime, one of the few things about the internet that doesn't make me hate the internet.

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:10 pm

Sukunai wrote:The whole buy the dvd thing though. I don't think there is any reason to think the modern world really needs a dvd.
To preserve the concepts of first sale and ownership rights of copies of media?
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

TEKnician
Org Profile

Post by TEKnician » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:29 pm

Sukunai wrote:The whole buy the dvd thing though. I don't think there is any reason to think the modern world really needs a dvd.
THEN HOW THE FUCK ARE WE TO GET OUR ANIME FOOTAGE TO MAKE AMVS? I really don't know of any other LEGITIMATE method...

Anyone?

sportsgirl1391
Org Profile

Post by sportsgirl1391 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:11 pm

I have netflix now and it has tons and tons of anime now and it just keeps on growing the list has grown within a month i love it. But I also buy anime from amazon or rightstuf.com I support the anime industry X] I cant wait for fairy tail to come out this fall. FUNimation is dubbing it :) Im excited I personally like FUNimation dubbing. hahahaha. I know some of you ppl out there hate dubbing but I give the voice actors/actresses credit bc hey they do the best they can. lol

CodeZTM
Spin Me Round
Org Profile

Post by CodeZTM » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:19 pm

The_TEKnician wrote:
THEN HOW THE FUCK ARE WE TO GET OUR ANIME FOOTAGE TO MAKE AMVS? I really don't know of any other LEGITIMATE method...

Anyone?
Digital Download Distribution? Kind of like how you can buy full games from PSN?

Return to “General Anime”