Why Anime is Alive [and well] in North America

This forum is for the general discussion of Anime.

Why Anime is Alive [and well] in North America

Postby TEKnician » Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:55 pm

CodeZTM wrote:Just recently [within the last 2-3 years], my local video rental stores have been getting HUGE amounts of anime box sets and singles. Heck, we've even been getting releases when they actually get released! Actually, the local Hastings had to create an entire extra aisle for them all. Both rental and buy-wise.

Funimation wrote:We are still licensing anime and making DVDs and selling them in North America.

BANDAI wrote:Us too!

[adultswim] wrote:We still show anime (just after bedtime)

Toyota wrote:WE LOVE MIKU!

animenewsnetwork wrote:N. America's 2007 Anime Market Pegged at US$2.8 Billion

Kamina wrote:ImageHAVE FAITH IN ME! BELIEVE IN ME WHO BELIEVES IN YOU!

Solution to the slight decline in anime popularity/sales:

BUY THE DVD INSTEAD OF DOWNLOADING THEM ILLEGALLY!

/end of discussion
Almost as hard as fighting a Holy Paladin.
TEKnician

Re: Why Anime is Alive [and well] in North America

Postby TEKnician » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:05 pm

In 2010, anime sales DID decline. But its not DEAD.

Um, Tsunami? I think Japan had some other things they were dealing with too.
TEKnician

Postby Sukunai » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:51 pm

Some of the conventional dvd pipeline went out of business in recent times. Then again, if there is a market, someone will pick it up.

Looks like Funimation thinks there is a market.

The whole buy the dvd thing though. I don't think there is any reason to think the modern world really needs a dvd.

I don't need a dvd to watch a movie, I just need a source.
I no longer buy my games on physical media, there is no gain to having it on a disc in all cases.
So why should I only be able to get new purchased anime on disc?

I am just as capable of downloading LEGALLY an anime and burning it to disc if I desperately need it there.
But in recent times, I no longer really prefer physical storage. It's both cheaper and easier to just buy storage drives. 2TB far outweighs in usefulness an equal price quantity of burnable blank media. 100 bucks will get me 3 spindles of 100 4.7 gig blank discs. I can put more on a 2TB drive. I know this, as that is where all my discs are currently. I watch all my dvds as emulated disc images via my computer. Very handy, and disc images never get scratched. Not to mention I don't need to worry about putting them back.

The future of media, is likely going the route of all digital.

Hey I still want a lot of series, and I would be ok buying them as just digital downloads eh (with no fucking drm though).
And the perk is there is no middle man with their hand in the wallet of the source.
Anime, one of the few things about the internet that doesn't make me hate the internet.
Sukunai

Postby Hagaren Viper » Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:57 pm

Hard copies all the way, please. \o/
ImageImage
ImageImage
Hagaren Viper

Postby dakotasapphire » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:21 am

The_TEKnician wrote:
CodeZTM wrote:Just recently [within the last 2-3 years], my local video rental stores have been getting HUGE amounts of anime box sets and singles. Heck, we've even been getting releases when they actually get released! Actually, the local Hastings had to create an entire extra aisle for them all. Both rental and buy-wise.

Funimation wrote:We are still licensing anime and making DVDs and selling them in North America.

BANDAI wrote:Us too!

[adultswim] wrote:We still show anime (just after bedtime)

Toyota wrote:WE LOVE MIKU!

animenewsnetwork wrote:N. America's 2007 Anime Market Pegged at US$2.8 Billion

Kamina wrote:Quoted Image converted to link:
http://images.sodahead.com/polls/001121919/Who_the_hell_do_you_think_I_am_answer_1_xlarge.jpegHAVE FAITH IN ME! BELIEVE IN ME WHO BELIEVES IN YOU!

Solution to the slight decline in anime popularity/sales:

BUY THE DVD INSTEAD OF DOWNLOADING THEM ILLEGALLY!

/end of discussion

I watch my anime on sites that do support the anime: Crunchyroll, youtube(under the show's categories), and Funimation's website. I think I have been supporting the anime through my time of watching ads, which help the companies. Its not like I'm going to watch any of the animes again. I'm not that type of person. I like to move on. I did get one anime dvd made by the same guy who created akira though. It was memories. I do not intend to make an amv with it. I'd rather just have it to say I have it, and not rip it. I don't really download anime to watch it. Its not my style. Its a stupid waste of hardrive memory.
dakotasapphire

Postby Sukunai » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:05 am

"I don't really download anime to watch it. Its not my style. Its a stupid waste of hardrive memory."

There will always be those that just like to casually watch anime, and that is not a problem.

Myself, I watch anime in all sorts of methods.

I like watching subbed, it often sounds more 'right' even if the subs always make me wonder if what the person said was truly what was subbed in.

I like 'watching' dubbed as I can 'watch' it while making a model and not really need my eyes fixed on the screen to know what is being said.

And I have lots of shows I have watched numerous times because some stuff I just love to watch as I liked it so much.

Only so many hours in the day too, and LOT of my stash will sometimes take me a few YEARS to get to after having been downloaded. And in some cases I have watched something and it was 'wow that was great' and if I had not downloaded it, often it takes a lot of effort to get it if at all possible later (because torrents are only fast and efficient the week something is released to the scene. Downloading 3-5 gigs on a torrent with 1 seed if any and just a few participants is a several days event, not 5 minutes.

I would be all over downloading legit anime ep files that were just data and not required to be properly converted disc images.
I'm NOT paying a fortune for them, but I am not against paying an almost same price for a boxed set. 30 bucks instead of 40 for a season is not so bad if you ask me.
Anime, one of the few things about the internet that doesn't make me hate the internet.
Sukunai

Postby BasharOfTheAges » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:10 pm

Sukunai wrote:The whole buy the dvd thing though. I don't think there is any reason to think the modern world really needs a dvd.

To preserve the concepts of first sale and ownership rights of copies of media?
BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?

Postby TEKnician » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:29 pm

Sukunai wrote:The whole buy the dvd thing though. I don't think there is any reason to think the modern world really needs a dvd.

THEN HOW THE FUCK ARE WE TO GET OUR ANIME FOOTAGE TO MAKE AMVS? I really don't know of any other LEGITIMATE method...

Anyone?
TEKnician

Postby sportsgirl1391 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:11 pm

I have netflix now and it has tons and tons of anime now and it just keeps on growing the list has grown within a month i love it. But I also buy anime from amazon or rightstuf.com I support the anime industry X] I cant wait for fairy tail to come out this fall. FUNimation is dubbing it :) Im excited I personally like FUNimation dubbing. hahahaha. I know some of you ppl out there hate dubbing but I give the voice actors/actresses credit bc hey they do the best they can. lol
sportsgirl1391

Postby CodeZTM » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:19 pm

The_TEKnician wrote:

THEN HOW THE FUCK ARE WE TO GET OUR ANIME FOOTAGE TO MAKE AMVS? I really don't know of any other LEGITIMATE method...

Anyone?

Digital Download Distribution? Kind of like how you can buy full games from PSN?
CodeZTM
Spin Me Round

Postby TEKnician » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:29 am

CodeZTM wrote:Digital Download Distribution

Some of them keep some subtitles in them (like if a poster had kanji on it, they would show a subtitle right under it). I need clean footage. Plus, i get all the textless OPs and EDs and special eps associated with the dvds. I bought an Eureka Seven box set and it came with a soundtrack CD. This way, I got clean copies of some awesome music too! I just have more taste for DVDs...

sportsgirl1391 wrote: X] I cant wait for fairy tail to come out this fall. FUNimation is dubbing it :)

Hooraayy!!!
TEKnician

Postby Spicey_wolf » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:46 pm

I agree anime isn't dead and wont ever be, but over the years anime shops have closed down, less dvd's at the usual places were I'd buy from, less anime on cable television. I think now
there is less company's that dub anime, It's mostly just funimation. The only place in my city that carries a big selection of anime dvd's is Fry's electronics and If I want something they don't
have, I have to get it online I can't just go out and get it. Which is fine, this isn't Japan besides I watch most my anime all online anyway. Netflix does have a great selection of anime though, so that is a plus.
Maybe it's just my city that has this problem, but phoenix AZ is a pretty big place. :?
Spicey_wolf

Postby FATTY_VM » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:44 pm

Hey, it's an OLDFA@!

It's all about the depth of the story, the exposure and the availability. Anime tends to be deeper than even the modern shows that tried to trend after the largest animation draws of the last two decades (make a guess as to which they were when you weed out individual in theater movies....) Exposure has grown exponentially since Toonami aired in the states, and peaked from '97 to 2006. And thanks to the dawn of the internet age, and the online generation ... 98+ .. well availability is endless.

This is a winning formula for a perpetuating media. It combines all three of these standards.
How many of you were born from '90 on?
How many are around that at least know about, or have watched some of the original dragonball?!? DBZ?! Beebop?

DRAGON BALL'S ANIME ENDED IN 1989 GUYS! That's a full year before most of you were born. DBZ's manga ended in '95 for a better reference.

Beebop's animation was finished in '99, Naruto's manga started in '99... Death Note, Berserk, Love Hina, Tenchi... go look up the dates. Don't get me started on Gundam, Ghost in the Shell, or the main Miyazaki movies, it starts to look more and more like we are in a modern media rut!

But, hey the internet came along and made it's presence be known in the mid 90's until it became ubiquitous in the 2000 time period in the US. Then it allowed for an increase, and easy access to large amount s of bandwidth and video's.... we can download GIGS of media, and even TB's on a whim. I can pull almost 30 years of availability of anything I want in mere minutes. (You can too, don't sugar coat this.) Then... have it ready to view at my leisure in 3 days... that's ridiculous, amazing, and now ... possible.

Anime is alive in north america because the market allows it. Anime is thriving and growing because it's a medium of entertainment that possesses depth, exposure and availability.

BTW, If you end up writing a thesis on this..... I'll be angry without at least a shoutout. :)
...the problem I see a lot is that many good amv makers think they suck, and many bad amv makers think they're good.
I've seen it happen, man! I've SEEN IT!..
--Rob Kenchu
FATTY_VM

Postby Sukunai » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:27 am

The_TEKnician wrote:

Anyone?

Well first off, worrying about legitimate source material is dumb. Yes I said DUMB. We don't have real genuine legal permission to use the stuff the way it is being used for AMVs nor is their genuine legal permission to use the music. So fretting over using a downloaded dvd is really at the end of the day, kinda stupid.

It's always good when you guys make the attempt, but lets get serious, it doesn't really matter in a courtroom, and that in the end is all that counts.

Digital download methods are an option, but it only needs to be an option. They like dumping all sorts of clutter on discs because we all know, they don't really need the full disc, they just have no reason to not use it. And now that we have started moving to blueray well hell that is considerable sums of gigs of data space.
I see no reason though why they can make it open to purchase downloads of all the bonus stuff as well.
Or just make the bonus stuff freely downloadable as good PR and effectivel advertising, Because conventional advertising is horrendously expensive.

The future is already here, and it just remains to see if various portions of the media based industries out there have the wisdom to embrace it.
Everyone is enjoying the ability to move massive sums of data on high performance internet services, it's about time the proper businesses at least started to make use of the same technology that the pirates are enjoying. If the p2p services can figure it out, isn't it about time the source companies started to learn?

Brick and mortar is ok, but in 2011, we no longer really need them as the only option.
I buy plenty of media still, I just don't need to buy it in a box any more. Or at the very least, I don't need to leave my home to shop for it.

The only stuff I still buy mainly off of a shelf is plastic models. And you know, even that is increasingly not necessary. Although I prefer to buy paint and glue in person. I think they dislike sending paint and glue in the mail due to the fact it is hazardous materials.
Sukunai

Postby TEKnician » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:18 pm

Sukunai wrote:worrying about legitimate source material is dumb. Yes I said DUMB. We don't have real genuine legal permission to use the stuff the way it is being used for AMVs nor is their genuine legal permission to use the music. So fretting over using a downloaded dvd is really at the end of the day, kinda stupid.

NOt unless you want good, CLEAN, high-quality source material to make the AMVs! I downloaded Angel Beats Episode 1 from iTunes to see if i could use it, but there were subtitles all over the good parts, so i couldn't. When i add an effect to a...pixellated vid, the end result is bastardization to hell, so i stopped doing that a long time ago. DVDs are good too because i can get nice videos and convert them to hi-res on my computer to watch at any time without worrying about lag, internet connectivity issues, or friggin commercials that have nothing to do with anime. (Unless it's Tiger and Bunny).
TEKnician

Next

Return to General Anime