Vegas 9.0- all clips slow and juddery

For help and discussion concerning the Sony Vegas software.

Vegas 9.0- all clips slow and juddery

Postby Necrofood » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:09 pm

Hi
I just recently acquired Sony Vegas 9.0. Now I've tried importing anime clips into it, and they transfer perfectly, but whenever they're placed on the timeline, everything slows down, and I only get to see one in every twenty frames or so. Is this a problem with my computer, or the program? Initially this was an issue in the trimmer as well, but after I set the properties to HDV 720-30p (1280x720, 29.970 fps), the trimmer is now functioning perfectly. So is there something similar I can do for the timeline?
Much appreciated.
Necrofood

Re: Vegas 9.0- all clips slow and juddery

Postby xPiikanyaa » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:58 pm

Do you mean when the preview lags and you can't watch the clip properly?
xPiikanyaa
Phail Whale

Postby aerotem » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:00 pm

Necrofood wrote:Hi
I just recently acquired Sony Vegas 9.0. Now I've tried importing anime clips into it, and they transfer perfectly, but whenever they're placed on the timeline, everything slows down, and I only get to see one in every twenty frames or so. Is this a problem with my computer, or the program? Initially this was an issue in the trimmer as well, but after I set the properties to HDV 720-30p (1280x720, 29.970 fps), the trimmer is now functioning perfectly. So is there something similar I can do for the timeline?
Much appreciated.

from what it sounds like, you're talking about the preview.
if it is so, then don't worry, vegas lags up alot (probably lags especially the worst, mostly for me) whenever you try to watch a preview when using clips that have a 29.970 fps (which is why the timeline lags too), but idk, there could be another reason for why it's doing it, shitty processor and ram, the video itself, etc.
aerotem
show 'em my judo throw

Postby kapparomeo » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:17 pm

Yes, it can be a little inconvenient if you need to check delicate timings, but don't worry too much about lag in the preview box - it doesn't impinge on the final product. That lag won't be transferred to your final video.

Preview lag also tends to be affected by the complexity of what you're doing - multiple overlaid video tracks, numerous audio/visual effects, etc. etc. I find that letting the clip play multiple times tends to allow the preview to 'catch up' after a while and play normally as the keyframes are cached.
kapparomeo

Postby xPiikanyaa » Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:21 pm

The preview lags on my computer 'cause it doesn't have much RAM, and I like a lot of effect whoring :3
I find it helps if you set the preview to a lower quality - if it's set to best quality, it's more likely to lag. ^^
xPiikanyaa
Phail Whale

Postby Nya-chan Production » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:10 pm

Select a part you wish to check the sync on
Press Shift+B
Wait a moment while it loads into RAM
Press Space
Rinse and repeat for other parts

;x
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view

Postby Athena » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:24 am

I'm confused. Why would you be willing to put up with a preview that lags? Doesn't that defeat the purpose?

Never used Vegas, but I wouldn't stand for that in any non-linear editor I was going to use.
Athena
I ♥ the 80's

Postby Nya-chan Production » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:45 am

Kionon wrote:I'm confused. Why would you be willing to put up with a preview that lags? Doesn't that defeat the purpose?

Never used Vegas, but I wouldn't stand for that in any non-linear editor I was going to use.

Show me any video editer that won't lag while editing 720p or 1080p on low budget PC |:

It's not about editor, it's about size of preview, hardware and size of project.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view

Postby mirkosp » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:19 am

Nya-chan Production wrote:
Kionon wrote:I'm confused. Why would you be willing to put up with a preview that lags? Doesn't that defeat the purpose?

Show me any video editer that won't lag while editing 720p or 1080p on low budget PC |:

It's not about editor, it's about size of preview, hardware and size of project.

720p might be doable perhaps, but honestly a low budget PC will have hard times even just playing a 1080p file... at least without CoreAVC.
But still, it also is about the editor itself. The way the memory is dealt with has much to do with this. Also 32bit vs 62bit OS and program will have a huge say. For example *adobe fan mode on* Premiere Pro CS5 is based on something named "Mercury Playback Engine" and apparently this works very well:
http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/software/357025/adobe-premiere-pro-cs5
For example, on our test rig, a workstation featuring a quad-core 2.2GHz AMD Phenom 9550 CPU and 6GB of DDR2 memory, Premiere Pro CS5 managed to play five layers of 720p DVC Pro HD fluidly, although it began to skip frames above this. It also had trouble when applying multiple effects to footage shot on the RED camera at a resolution of 2,816 x 2,304. Nevertheless, the system was using close to 100% of overall processor time during playback, across all four cores, showing that Adobe is making full use of multiple threads.

That's about mid-range for current PCs. Right now that rig should probably cost about 800USD tops, although I haven't quite looked around for exact prices (but I'm probably exaggerating). *adobe fan mode off*
Still, I haven't used Vegas, so I can't have a say on how it manages layers and stuff. It's probably about on par with premiere cs5 since vegas has had 64bit versions for a few years. If we're talking 32bit OSes then, smooth editing of 1080p is very hard after a couple clips since the ram limit is low, like 2 GBs per program, isn't it?
mirkosp
MODkip

Postby a1ic3 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:26 am

I would advise him to write a much elaborate blog detailing his problems. Now it is not clear whether he is having problems with the clip or with the preview. If the problem is with the preview then I think the problem is related to his system. Most probably the processor is the culprit. The processing speed is very less and that is why he is having this issue. I would advise him to discard his old system and buy a new one.
Power
a1ic3

Postby HalOfBorg » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:38 am

a1ic3 wrote:If the problem is with the preview then I think the problem is related to his system. Most probably the processor is the culprit. The processing speed is very less and that is why he is having this issue.

I use 8 and have tried 10....

Yes indeed. A preview of a project on my netbook (32bit) can lag terribly, especially on "Best". Take same project on the new PC (Phenom II processor, 4 gig RAM 32bit) and it barely lags at all on "Best". For a complex one a couple passes and it plays fine.
Help HalOfBorg fight his cancer - http://www.gofundme.com/21ygdk

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
HalOfBorg

Postby HSSDamian » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:45 pm

Assuming you're talking about the preview, this is due to insufficient RAM and may also be because you have a slow processor/poor GPU.
Sometimes when I'm doing editing on a project that has a total of over 30GBs worth of clips in it, I'll have a slight amount of lag.
Not much because I have an i7 920QM which is decent for video editing, 4GB Ram DDR3 1033MHz which is also great and a HD 5730 which isn't so great for video editing.
HSSDamian

Postby Natsuzje » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:24 pm

m8 im editing vids with MSI RX9250,Intel Celeron D 2.72Ghz and 2*256 RAM and vegas10 laggs only after i've put 4-5 effects into the vid (vegas9 laggs after 12-13 effects) try to close programs such as MSN, your internet browser, Xfire etc...
Natsuzje

Postby jamaro » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:09 am

I run Vegas on my slow laptop (2GB RAM) and had the same problem as you... until I converted the source files into Cineform format. Now I can have like 8 video tracks at on top of each other and edit them 'on the fly' without any preview lag because I convert them into Cineform beforehand. Cineform was originally used to convert AVCHD camcorder files so that it can be edited for Premiere Pro / Vegas Pro, hence making it the ideal choice for film editors.

People who have the fastest CPU can still experience preview lag, especially if they're editing mp4 formats. But converting this mp4 into Cineform format will eradicate this problem. Cineform is an intermediate format that works solely for video editing. Film professionals use it because of the workflow efficiency and 'no preview lag' issues when editing in full 1080p format.

Old workflow (with preview lag):
mp4 files --> Vegas Pro

Currently my workflow is as follows (no preview lag at all):
mp4/avi files --> multiAVCHD --> Cineform intermediate --> Vegas Pro
mkv files --> mkv2vob --> Cineform intermediate --> Vegas Pro

Note multiAVCHD/mkv2vob are only used to repackage the video into AVCHD containers for Cineform. This process only takes 1 or 2 mins as it is not re-encoding anything. You can choose to use another method like VirtualDub to repackage as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls5ncaXAW-0

This video describes a bit more about the Cineform workflow.
jamaro

Postby Kyotachi » Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:11 am

HalOfBorg wrote:
a1ic3 wrote:If the problem is with the preview then I think the problem is related to his system. Most probably the processor is the culprit. The processing speed is very less and that is why he is having this issue.

I use 8 and have tried 10....

Yes indeed. A preview of a project on my netbook (32bit) can lag terribly, especially on "Best". Take same project on the new PC (Phenom II processor, 4 gig RAM 32bit) and it barely lags at all on "Best". For a complex one a couple passes and it plays fine.

not really...
first of a 32bit system can only use up to 3.5GB RAM
second of all...I can barely edit a 480p footage with my computer that has 3.5GB RAM 32bit

I guess it will all depends on the format you encode your footage to
Loseless format does not lag that much really..in fact ..it lags way less than I usually convert to an MP4 file
also WMV format doesn't lag but I'm not going too far into WMV format since its one of the worst Format to edit to...quality wise and just simply cheap

I would prefer Loseless but I can't afford big ass files on my HDD...they take up too much of my precious space
Better rig is my solution! :D :awesome:
Kyotachi

Next

Return to Sony Vegas