Vegas 9.0 - Stretching clips to fit widescreen?

For help and discussion concerning Magix's (formerly Sony's) Movie Studio and Vegas Pro editing software.
xPiikanyaa
Phail Whale
Org Profile

Vegas 9.0 - Stretching clips to fit widescreen?

Post by xPiikanyaa » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:39 am

I need to stretch a bunch of clips to fit a widescreen aspect ratio, and I was wondering... can you actually do that in Vegas, or would I have to convert them using a different program? (I don't really want to have to do that, since all my episodes have pretty big file sizes...) :)
(Keep in mind I'm using Vegas Movie Studio, not Vegas Pro. :wink: )

Panky
Org Profile

Re: Vegas 9.0 - Stretching clips to fit widescreen?

Post by Panky » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:37 pm

Wouldn't selecting the box 'Stretch video to fill output frame' on the export window help for what you're looking for?
Pick a little test clip and export it to see if it's working.

xPiikanyaa
Phail Whale
Org Profile

Post by xPiikanyaa » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:13 pm

Pankyy wrote:Wouldn't selecting the box 'Stretch video to fill output frame' on the export window help for what you're looking for?
Pick a little test clip and export it to see if it's working.
That didn't work... the output video looked like this.
(The original video looked like this.)
TBH, I don't even know if the version of Vegas I have can render in widescreen. I did manage to render one widescreen video, but I had to crop the top and bottom to make it fit, so it looked crap. And that was ages ago =.=

Panky
Org Profile

Post by Panky » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:58 pm

Oh, you could try removing that option and instead, make a right-click in the clip and uncheck the "Mantain aspect ratio".

xPiikanyaa
Phail Whale
Org Profile

Post by xPiikanyaa » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:32 am

Pankyy wrote:Oh, you could try removing that option and instead, make a right-click in the clip and uncheck the "Mantain aspect ratio".
Thanks, I'll try that ^^

hryhopes
Org Profile

Post by hryhopes » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:19 am

I have sony vegas 9 movie studio and am looking for a new computer (a mac most likely). I want to clarify that, if I use sony vegas with boot camp, will I be able to run vegas exactly as I do on a PC and will it function just the same?

Kanti13
Org Profile

Post by Kanti13 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:23 am

DarkPhoenix22 wrote:I need to stretch a bunch of clips to fit a widescreen aspect ratio, and I was wondering... can you actually do that in Vegas, or would I have to convert them using a different program? (I don't really want to have to do that, since all my episodes have pretty big file sizes...) :)
You can't really stretch footage to be widescreen. It's more like cropping out the bottom and top of your clip. You can set your project properties to a widescreen template, then go into pan/crop, right click, "match output aspect". That's what I do when I'm making a mixed amv in order to make everything widescreen. It's a pretty simple way to change your footage within your project and then just render it as you would normally render a widescreen project.

xPiikanyaa
Phail Whale
Org Profile

Post by xPiikanyaa » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:50 am

Kanti13 wrote:
DarkPhoenix22 wrote:I need to stretch a bunch of clips to fit a widescreen aspect ratio, and I was wondering... can you actually do that in Vegas, or would I have to convert them using a different program? (I don't really want to have to do that, since all my episodes have pretty big file sizes...) :)
You can't really stretch footage to be widescreen. It's more like cropping out the bottom and top of your clip. You can set your project properties to a widescreen template, then go into pan/crop, right click, "match output aspect". That's what I do when I'm making a mixed amv in order to make everything widescreen. It's a pretty simple way to change your footage within your project and then just render it as you would normally render a widescreen project.
I usually do that, but if I did that with some clips then I'd lose too much of the video. Plus I accidentally converted Lucky Star (which is already in widescreen) into a 640x480 frame size and it would just look squished if I cropped it DX

Panky
Org Profile

Post by Panky » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:53 pm

DarkPhoenix22 wrote:
Pankyy wrote:Oh, you could try removing that option and instead, make a right-click in the clip, properties and uncheck the "Mantain aspect ratio" on the timeline.
Thanks, I'll try that ^^
I forgot that little detail. In fact, it will alter the video source to fit the aspect ratio you set in the project and stretch both sides. If it's too different, it will surely look like crap. But I'm pretty sure it works.

Return to “Movie Studio & Vegas Pro”