What Formats can Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 9 read?

For help and discussion concerning Magix's (formerly Sony's) Movie Studio and Vegas Pro editing software.
Emotive
...the Meditant
Org Profile

Re: What Formats can Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 9 read?

Post by Emotive » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:40 am

Kariudo wrote:.mp3 should work just fine in editing programs (because each audio sample has all the information needed to make the sound it's supposed to make.) That said, it's probably still a good idea to work with lossless audio through as much of the editing process as you can...quality stuff and whatnot.
Thumbs up on that post, I remember an "argument" some time ago where someone would say editing with .mp3 instead of .wav is equivalent to using .xvid instead of lagarith, where I said it's nothing like that and editing with .mp3 gives absolutely no problems (other than lower quality) but couldn't justify it.

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Post by Kariudo » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:38 am

Emotive wrote:
Kariudo wrote:.mp3 should work just fine in editing programs (because each audio sample has all the information needed to make the sound it's supposed to make.) That said, it's probably still a good idea to work with lossless audio through as much of the editing process as you can...quality stuff and whatnot.
Thumbs up on that post, I remember an "argument" some time ago where someone would say editing with .mp3 instead of .wav is equivalent to using .xvid instead of lagarith, where I said it's nothing like that and editing with .mp3 gives absolutely no problems (other than lower quality) but couldn't justify it.
Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if I said that some time ago.
Looked more into mp3 compression this time

twindelphine
Org Profile

Post by twindelphine » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:42 am

Kariudo wrote:
Emotive wrote:
Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if I said that some time ago.
Looked more into mp3 compression this time
Couldn't say more than agreeing.

twindelphine
Org Profile

Post by twindelphine » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:20 pm

Oops, sorry for lifting this thread up from its "slumber". Wanted to reply a long time ago, but totally forgot about it.

Anyways I still got a couple of MP4 files in tow. I know I should look for DVD sources, but I couldn't afford buying tons of anime episodes (OK, maybe Bleach can do since there's a shop selling cheap somewhere...).

I'm not about to rant about the above paragraph now, but I just want to ask: how good is lagarith compared to huffyuv codecs? & for both, what's a good file extension (e.g. AVI) I can convert the MP4 files into?

Enigma
That jolly ol' bastid
Org Profile

Post by Enigma » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:28 am

Amazon i holding a 50% sale on anime, And Lagarith is about the half the size of huffy, Huffy being half the size of uncompressed.And you might wanna convert em mp4's to lagarith/huffy :up:

twindelphine
Org Profile

Post by twindelphine » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:55 am

Sadly I can't make any purchases online. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Post by Kariudo » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:48 pm

Lagarith and Huffyuv are the same when it comes to video quality.
Lagarith takes a little less space
Huffyuv is easier (for your computer) to play back

Lagarith plays really nicely with vegas, and as long as your computer isn't something old from...say around 2000 or so, you shouldn't notice any difference between playing a huffy and a lagarith, so I'd go with lagarith.

.avi is your best bet as far as containers go (any modern NLE, like vegas, can import .avi)

twindelphine
Org Profile

Post by twindelphine » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:44 am

Thanks Karido for the answer. I'll see how things go with the conversion.

Looking into eRightSoft's SUPER Converter right now.

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Post by Kariudo » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:35 pm

I'd recommend AviSynth + Virtualdub

Return to “Movie Studio & Vegas Pro”