Fade to White in Sony Vegas - How do I use this thing?!

For help and discussion concerning Magix's (formerly Sony's) Movie Studio and Vegas Pro editing software.
Byakko
Org Profile

Fade to White in Sony Vegas - How do I use this thing?!

Post by Byakko » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:42 am

I can't seem to get any of the Transitions to work, I just don't know how to place the >_>;;;

I just want to do a simple Fade to White effect on one of my clips, and I just don't know how I'm suppose to do it!

Help please?

VRSaskayzx
Org Profile

Post by VRSaskayzx » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:52 am

did you fade each both side of the clips into each other? and then tried to add the transition in the part that connects both clips =o?

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:55 am

you are supposed to add them to crossfades.

Byakko
Org Profile

Post by Byakko » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:55 am

Yes, they both have the Fade-in graph-line thingies. I drag the transition on it, but maybe because it's too small, I can't actually see it both on the timeline and in the preview.

Anyway, I resolved the whole thing by first putting the second clip onto another layer, edit it's fade-in properties, and then dragged it back down onto the same time line T_T

And I've yet to get a transition to work >_____>

Byakko
Org Profile

Post by Byakko » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:01 am

(Ooh, I wish I could edit my posts!)

Just to make clear, my transitions don't work because there tends to be glitches when I preview and then even when I render them.

I've tried various codecs. I rendered them as .wmv at first because I just wanted to test it. Afterwards, I tried Uncompressed and used VirtualDub to compress it. No difference.

Whether it's a transition, or just a simple fade-in, there are always noticeable glitches and some frame-skipping the part of the video that goes through it.

It's driving me insane!

Byakko
Org Profile

Post by Byakko » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:08 am

(Yes, I'm transforming this thread into my general questions thread, apparently. Sorry about this!)

Okay, I used a lower resolution video and overlayed my original video.

The problem is that in the preview, it shows it going over the original video/resolution easily, so I thought the program auto-expanded it.

However, after rendering, I found it to be the same resolution it was before. So why does my preview give me the wrong impression?

Also, how do I make it so the second video is stretched to fill the native resolution of the entire AMV properly?

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:46 pm

Byakko wrote:I've tried various codecs. I rendered them as .wmv at first because I just wanted to test it. Afterwards, I tried Uncompressed and used VirtualDub to compress it. No difference.
What is your source footage?
Byakko wrote:Okay, I used a lower resolution video and overlayed my original video. The problem is that in the preview, it shows it going over the original video/resolution easily, so I thought the program auto-expanded it. However, after rendering, I found it to be the same resolution it was before. So why does my preview give me the wrong impression?
I'm guessing you rendered it with WMV, for some reason WMV render will keep the original resolutions/shapes of the original video, the way to "solve" that is to render uncompressed or with huffyuv/lagarith, or check the pan/crop settings for your file.

Also, it's always best to use footage that matches in resolution. That will definitely fix the issue.
Also, how do I make it so the second video is stretched to fill the native resolution of the entire AMV properly?

And if you wanna squish/stretch stuff (this will kill the aspect ratio and people will complain unless done in a way that is "proper" to the video):

Though truthfully, you should be working with footage that is all the same resolution.

Byakko
Org Profile

Post by Byakko » Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:36 am

JaddziaDax wrote: What is your source footage?
Various 'HD' files in various formats, usually .wmv or .mov

I have to note that this is a GMV - Game Music Video. I'll only be able to get raw footage from the disc themselves sometime tomorrow (provided everything works out when I attempt to rip my disc). However, certain scenes in the game was rendered in-game, and I don't have time to replay those parts and record them myself with my DVD recorder.

As such, my source footage are entirely downloaded trailers/featurettes =/

Byakko wrote:
I'm guessing you rendered it with WMV, for some reason WMV render will keep the original resolutions/shapes of the original video, the way to "solve" that is to render uncompressed or with huffyuv/lagarith, or check the pan/crop settings for your file.

Also, it's always best to use footage that matches in resolution. That will definitely fix the issue.
For that particular scene, the trailer that had it was only available in its lower resolution form (an old trailer from a few years back), and I couldn't find a 'HD' version to match the rest of my footage.

I managed to resolve it by clicking off something in its properties (I think about keeping it in its native resolution). Still not as good as I saw it in the preview, for some reason (or maybe because seeing it full-screen makes the difference).

As it is, it's still up in the air whether I'm going to keep that piece in since it doesn't appear to gel well with the rest of the video (both in terms of resolution and content).

Thanks for the advice! I had no idea how to use that particular tool for squishing aspect ratios >__>;;

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:51 pm

Byakko wrote:
wmv and mov = ftl

you should use lossless avi or uncompressed avi in vegas, just about any other format is going to be super laggy and give you more issues than needed.

perhaps you should downscale your larger footage to match the lower quality (since upscaling the lower quality footage is going to look icky)

Byakko
Org Profile

Post by Byakko » Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:45 pm

JaddziaDax wrote:
Byakko wrote:
wmv and mov = ftl

you should use lossless avi or uncompressed avi in vegas, just about any other format is going to be super laggy and give you more issues than needed.

perhaps you should downscale your larger footage to match the lower quality (since upscaling the lower quality footage is going to look icky)
The smaller scale footage isn't as important, and with possibly some AE masking, completely replaceable for its effect.

Most of the footage was converted into .avi when I use AE to cut them up into portions (which would explain why I haven't had any issues anymore for a while).

I just found out the raw game footage in the discs themselves are .wmvs, so converting them in .avi, if I use huffy's, would there be any quality drop? Also, I tried using huffyuv when I was encoding one of my test movie files. The resolution seemed to have been cut-in-half; any idea why that happened?

Return to “Movie Studio & Vegas Pro”