Sony Vegas Render Problem - Video Corruption in Transitions

For help and discussion concerning Magix's (formerly Sony's) Movie Studio and Vegas Pro editing software.
Byakko
Org Profile

Sony Vegas Render Problem - Video Corruption in Transitions

Post by Byakko » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:42 pm

Hi, I just started using Vegas and I wanted to test out a section of what I had done to see how it looks.

I noticed that there was some flickering, and noticeable video corruption (the video has little 'checkered' areas of corruption) when there's a simple fade-in effect between two clips.

I'm encoding as Windows Media Video V9, 6 Mbps HD 720-30p Video, rendering quality set at Best. Didn't fiddle with the other settings much (although I tested between CBR and VBR).

Source file was .mov, if that's a problem. Original resolution was HD 1280x720 (not sure of the exact quality of the HD, the source file was labelled that way).

The whole thing plays fine, except for the noticeable problems during transitions.

MusoukaProductions
Org Profile

Post by MusoukaProductions » Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:22 pm

Try rendering it with the Uncompressed template.

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:25 pm

or a custom template with a lossless codec.

what kind of monitor do you have?

DoomDragon6
Org Profile

Post by DoomDragon6 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:04 pm

I this exact same problem and it is killing me. I can't be making AMVs with random color checkers everywhere!

I'll try to elaborate on my problem and maybe it'll help the OP as well.

I'm working on my 4th AMV. My first 2 AMVs didn't have the problem, and my 3rd did. I figured the 3rd AMV's source footage might've had some kind of bad encoding or something, so I let it go.

However, now, making my 4th AMV, the problem arises again. I'm using some of the same source video that I used from my 2nd AMV (which had no problems), so I figure it can't be the footage.

I've tried rendering with several different codecs, and the problem is the same. The pixelies are randomly thrown in where there is significant movement, and vary in severity per render. If you want to see my 3rd AMV to see the pixelies, look here: <a href="http://www.animemusicvideos.org/video/156066">Maybe I'm Crazy</a>

I haven't been able to find any solution to the problem, and it's an AMV killer.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!
blabbler wrote:
DoomDragon6 wrote:I'm going to keep bumping... a rat's duke-hole... so I can grow. If I wanted... felatio I'd go to...YOU...

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:58 pm

what compression is your source video?

DoomDragon6
Org Profile

Post by DoomDragon6 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:11 pm

JaddziaDax wrote:what compression is your source video?
I used the AMVApp pack to do all my ripping, so I used the DivX 4.12 codec at the recommended settings. I feel like this oughtn't matter, since my other video sources worked before, and even this exact same source worked before.

See, if it did this from the beginning it'd make more sense, but it hasn't, and I don't feel like anything's changed.

Since the pixelies also appear in the vegas preview window, I feel like it must be something inside Vegas, but I have no idea what.
blabbler wrote:
DoomDragon6 wrote:I'm going to keep bumping... a rat's duke-hole... so I can grow. If I wanted... felatio I'd go to...YOU...

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:33 pm

I'ma guess that it looks like that, and yes codec does matter... it's DIVX causing you that problem, use Lagarith or Huffyuv instead, they were made for editing, DIVX was not made for editing.

DoomDragon6
Org Profile

Post by DoomDragon6 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:51 pm

Hmm, well the pixelies are actually less structured than that, and don't contain other parts of the picture, they're just random colors.

It looks exactly like this:

That's taken from the AMV I mentioned.

Well, if you're absolutely sure, I'll believe you, but if DivX is terrible to use, then why does the AMVApp encourage using it?

Also, that doesn't explain why it was fine in the past but now it isn't.

Sorry if I'm going on, but I want to make sure it's DivX. Because if it is, that means I have to go re-rip all my DVDs with a different codec.
blabbler wrote:

LivingFlame
Org Profile

Post by LivingFlame » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:55 pm

DivX is encouraged for distribution, not editing. (And it's becoming less and less encouraged for distribution these days. People have been having a love affair with x.264 lately.)
... yea ...

DoomDragon6
Org Profile

Post by DoomDragon6 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:57 pm

Ah.

Well poop on me then.

I guess I'll finish my current AMV with the poopy files and then go rerip my DVDs.

Boy howdy that'll take forever.
blabbler wrote:

Return to “Movie Studio & Vegas Pro”