Probably stupid questions about Vegas 7.0 but I need to know

For help and discussion concerning Magix's (formerly Sony's) Movie Studio and Vegas Pro editing software.
MechaTheGreat
Org Profile

Probably stupid questions about Vegas 7.0 but I need to know

Post by MechaTheGreat » Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:50 am

How to trim out a certain part of the clip so I can use it in other parts of the movie?

I'd also like to know how to master velocity. When I mess with it I always try to slow it down at a certain point but when I do that it makes the clip longer and I end up slowing down the wrong part. Is there like a secret to timing it right or something?

MechaTheGreat
Org Profile

Post by MechaTheGreat » Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:05 am

Btw, I know you can make the screen turn in a 360 degree motion by messing around in Pan/Crop, but I would like to know how to stretch it and make it move and stuff.

I know it has something to do with keyframes, or at least I am guessing, cause you need keyframes to make the footage spin.

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Re: Probably stupid questions about Vegas 7.0 but I need to

Post by JaddziaDax » Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:35 am

MechaTheGreat wrote:How to trim out a certain part of the clip so I can use it in other parts of the movie?
you need to be more specific? what do you mean by "trim" are you wanting to cut out a block to be overlayed on another part? or are you wanting to mask out a character?
I'd also like to know how to master velocity. When I mess with it I always try to slow it down at a certain point but when I do that it makes the clip longer and I end up slowing down the wrong part. Is there like a secret to timing it right or something?
theres two ways to change the speed of a clip,

1. right click on a clip and choose properties, and change the playback speed.
2. right click and choose envelope -> then choose velocity and a green band should show up on the clip.. move the band up to make it faster, and move the band down to slow it down..

try this: select a loop region around it and loop the playback while you adjust the speed (using the Velocity Band) this gets annoying on your ears but you will eventually get it to work how you want it... if you need to make slighter changes expand the clip so its larger on the timeline
Btw, I know you can make the screen turn in a 360 degree motion by messing around in Pan/Crop, but I would like to know how to stretch it and make it move and stuff.

I know it has something to do with keyframes, or at least I am guessing, cause you need keyframes to make the footage spin.
really, all you need are two keyframes, one at the beginning and one at the end. when you go to adjust the end keyframe just be sure to spin the clip as many times as you want it to spin in the sequence

like say i want it to spin 5 times, i skip to the end of the sequence on the keyframe timeline and rotate it 5 times and create a keyframe there... then when you go to play it back it SHOULD spin 5 times (at least thats how it worked for one of the tuna cans in something fishy)

MechaTheGreat
Org Profile

Post by MechaTheGreat » Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:13 am

<i>you need to be more specific? what do you mean by "trim" are you wanting to cut out a block to be overlayed on another part? or are you wanting to mask out a character?</i>

I believe the first one is a more accurate depiction of what I am getting at. I want to take certain parts of clips out and overlay them on top of other clips. Like take out a certain part of one clip so I can play it while simultaneously playing another clip.

<i>really, all you need are two keyframes, one at the beginning and one at the end. when you go to adjust the end keyframe just be sure to spin the clip as many times as you want it to spin in the sequence

like say i want it to spin 5 times, i skip to the end of the sequence on the keyframe timeline and rotate it 5 times and create a keyframe there... then when you go to play it back it SHOULD spin 5 times (at least thats how it worked for one of the tuna cans in something fishy)</i>

No, I know how to make it spin. What I want to know is how to make it twist or stretch and move in different directions. seen one made in premiere where he had the footage stretch out and twist and move. It looked cool and I would like to apply it myself to one of my videos. I am wondering if you can do the same thing in Vegas?

Also, I know how to speed the clips up and slow them down, it is just difficult getting the part I want slowed down or sped up correct cause when I change the velocity it makes the clip longer or shorter depending on how I change it, so when I slow it down where the part originally was, it does the wrong part because it has changed the length of the footage. I'll try making a loop around it and see what happens but that is what I was talking about.

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:30 pm

MechaTheGreat wrote:I believe the first one is a more accurate depiction of what I am getting at. I want to take certain parts of clips out and overlay them on top of other clips. Like take out a certain part of one clip so I can play it while simultaneously playing another clip.
use the cookie cutters:
make sure the "repeat X" is all the way to the right if you want it on the horozontal axis or "repeat Y" is all the way to the right if you want it on vertical or dont repeat it at all if you dont want a "bar" theres many ways to use the cookie cutters experiment with them (they are under the video effects tab) also you may want to use pan/crop to line up your image inside the cookie cutter
No, I know how to make it spin. What I want to know is how to make it twist or stretch and move in different directions. seen one made in premiere where he had the footage stretch out and twist and move. It looked cool and I would like to apply it myself to one of my videos. I am wondering if you can do the same thing in Vegas?
Movement: same concept as spinning... you set the key frames to where you want them to move to, and it will fill in the "animation" of the movement

twisting or stretching

twisting like this?:
pretty much you can use that little effects window to modify how the effect will take place... using the keyframes at the bottom can set it to the settings at those times, and the effect will morph depending on how you set them

stretching:

Also, I know how to speed the clips up and slow them down, it is just difficult getting the part I want slowed down or sped up correct cause when I change the velocity it makes the clip longer or shorter depending on how I change it, so when I slow it down where the part originally was, it does the wrong part because it has changed the length of the footage. I'll try making a loop around it and see what happens but that is what I was talking about.
instead of cutting the clip to how long you want it to be first, time the parts of the clip you want to use first, then cut the parts off you are not going to use... easy as that, slow it down first then cut...

MechaTheGreat
Org Profile

Post by MechaTheGreat » Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:58 pm

Actually all I had to do is highlight clip and hit s to split it where I want to but kthnx for that other information.

Now I have a problem. I use camtasia studio to record a clip with audio because I just wanted the audio for my video, when I put the clip on the timeline beneathe it is another layer for the audio that comes with it. When I highlighht the actual video footage and hit delete the clip and the audio goes but I only want the clip to go and keep the audio.

How do I split the fotage fropm the audio so I can have just the audio to work with on the timeline?

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:59 pm

right click on the file and choose group and remove from

and you just wanted to know how to cut a clip's length on the timeline? lol... not how to overlay a chunk onto another O.o well why didnt you say that lmao?

MechaTheGreat
Org Profile

Post by MechaTheGreat » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:43 pm

Nah I use that method to cut the clip in 2, then cut it again where I want it spliced so I just get that part. Then I overlay it with other footage and play it with one timeline being at half brightness and the other at full so they play on top of each other, and I sync the spliced clips with the beat so they change with the beat of the song I am using.

Haven't had much time to work on video because of school so I will do what you said probably on the weekend kthnx.

Return to “Movie Studio & Vegas Pro”