HuffYuv and Lagarith in Vegas

For help and discussion concerning Magix's (formerly Sony's) Movie Studio and Vegas Pro editing software.
Kero777
Org Profile

HuffYuv and Lagarith in Vegas

Post by Kero777 » Mon May 07, 2007 6:56 pm

Does anyone else have problems playing back HuffYuv and Lagarith .avi files in their video players? All either have rainbow-colored squares, only show one frame, or have exaggerated motion lines. I discovered I was missing the HuffYuv and Lagarith codecs so I downloaded them and it didn't seem to help the problem. I think I'm missing another codec because when I didn't have Xvid a while back, the same thing was happening when I tried to play AMVs without the Xvid codec (What a dummy, huh? :P) I saved the file from Vegas 6.0 before I download AMVapp to try out the conversion process, but since HuffYuv or Lagarith don't play in any of my players, I doubt either is going to work in AMVapp. :? My computer has a FAT32 drive, so I'm assuming I have to download a few extra things... Maybe? Lol, I'm really sorry if I sound a little vague, but I'm new to all this. Thanks so much for your time. Any advice/help at all is appreciated! :)

Krisqo
Cooking Oil
Org Profile

Post by Krisqo » Mon May 07, 2007 7:05 pm

Are you trying to playback the files in a media player? If that's the case, most of the time a CPU does not have enough juice to play them back in realtime. If they open fine in Virtual Dub Mod and in your editing program, you got nothing to worry about.

Kero777
Org Profile

Post by Kero777 » Mon May 07, 2007 9:01 pm

Krisqo wrote:Are you trying to playback the files in a media player? If that's the case, most of the time a CPU does not have enough juice to play them back in realtime. If they open fine in Virtual Dub Mod and in your editing program, you got nothing to worry about.
Yes, all different type of players: Winamp, Windows Media player, Media Player Classic. Ooh, really? I didn't know that. Well, I tried a different method of saving: this time just as the "uncompressed" option beside video format (instead of HuffYuv or Lagarith) after clicking custom .avi and it does the same exact thing. :( When I saved the file, I re-opened it in Vegas and it looked like it had the motion blur like in did when I opened it in Windows Media Player, but not quite so bad. I'm going to have to test it out in Virtual Dub Mod. I hope this works. I have very bad luck with these types of things. :(

Thank you so much Krisqo for your advice! :) Oh, and I have to say I love your avatar. It rocks! Go Kero! :P

Krisqo
Cooking Oil
Org Profile

Post by Krisqo » Mon May 07, 2007 9:04 pm

If they are clips you are using for editing, keep them in that format. When you export your final video, use one of them as well. Only convert to Xvid when you render your final video with the audio out of V-dub

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Mon May 07, 2007 9:14 pm

off topic: hehe the icons, they ammuse me.. (drunk kero giving high kero advice XD)

but do what Krisqo says.. hehe

Krisqo
Cooking Oil
Org Profile

Post by Krisqo » Mon May 07, 2007 9:23 pm

JaddziaDax wrote:off topic: hehe the icons, they ammuse me.. (drunk kero giving high kero advice XD)

Some people think best when drunk. :lol:

Kero777
Org Profile

Post by Kero777 » Tue May 08, 2007 7:36 am

Krisqo wrote:If they are clips you are using for editing, keep them in that format. When you export your final video, use one of them as well. Only convert to Xvid when you render your final video with the audio out of V-dub
I haven't started my video yet, but what I'm doing is testing the saving process out to make sure I am able to do it first. :) If by "clips" you mean the episodes before I put them in my project, I don't think I'm going to fiddle with the quality of them before I put them in my project. They look pretty good. :D I just want to keep them that way for my final render. That's what I am worried about. I don't need to convert the episodes to HuffYuv or Lagarith before I begin editing them (except a couple from different anime if I decide to do the various anime one. Those don't import and I will go through that process for them... If I can get it to work after all, that is. :P).

Thank you very much! :)
JaddziaDax wrote:off topic: hehe the icons, they ammuse me.. (drunk kero giving high kero advice XD)

Krisqo wrote: Some people think best when drunk. :lol:
Lol! You two just made my whole day. XD Thank youuuu! Haha, drunk Kero teaching high Kero! :lol:

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Tue May 08, 2007 10:19 am

still:

click O.o if youre using xvid encoded files they can be laggy and buggy in vegas and you can end up with issues later...

its also better to keep all your files in the same format if you can

Kero777
Org Profile

Post by Kero777 » Tue May 08, 2007 6:48 pm

JaddziaDax wrote:still:

click O.o if youre using xvid encoded files they can be laggy and buggy in vegas and you can end up with issues later...

its also better to keep all your files in the same format if you can
Ah, yes. I heard about that somewhere. I'm still bothered about how awful the playback is when I view HuffYuv and/or Lagarith .avi files, :( but I don't have V-Dub or any other needed program right now and haven't tried anything past saving as the correct lossless .avi file yet. I'll try that and see if it takes all the motion lines and things out of those experimented Lagarith files I saved from Vegas before I try my AMV. You're right: I think I will make sure everything is in the same format. I guess I still have a lot of things to learn and figure out. ^^;;

Thanks a lot, JaddziaDax. :)

Return to “Movie Studio & Vegas Pro”