Two quick Vegas questions.

For help and discussion concerning Magix's (formerly Sony's) Movie Studio and Vegas Pro editing software.
sinneah
Org Profile

Two quick Vegas questions.

Post by sinneah » Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:23 am

1) Basically, I have two scenes. In each there is a moving object. They have the same background. But the object in the second scene only moves much later in the original source. So I masked the object in the second scene and moved it a little back so they both move at the same time, to more-or-less create "my own scene". At a certain point I want a fade to black transition. And here lies the actual problem. The first scene had to be sped up to match the pace of the song. So I cannot just insert a transition in both scenes. So I am wondering if I could create something like an "empty mask" which purely serves the purpose of doing this transition? And if so, maybe some pointers of where to look.

2) Well, not particularly a Vegas question, but what is the best way to capture a single image from a video source? Would the "Snapshot" function of Vegas be sufficient? Quality wise and such.

Sorry for terminology, pretty new to Vegas ><

Thanks in advance =]

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:49 am

1. if you want to fade to black one thing you can do if fade them both out.... at the same rate... im not sure how better to explain it
or
you can create a black media generator and place it in a line above them fading it in at the rate you want it, and since its black it should fade-in the black, which would appear on the video as the video fading out to black... same thing eh? did i make sense?

2. if you put your "preview" on the highest quality, i think its like full(best) or something i cant remember off hand, you can use the snapshot from Vegas and it will be the same quality as the original.

make sense?

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:22 am

okay screencap time!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

and 2.

the quality should be as good as your actual video footage...

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:27 am

oops i posted the wrong pic for the last one heres the right one

Willen
Now in Hi-Def!
Org Profile

Post by Willen » Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:40 am

I keep all black and all white images for just this eventuality. Open MS Paint, or whatever image editor you use. Create an all black image to whatever size your video project is (640x480, or whatever). Save it as a BMP (ignore the other options: it's an all black image so bitmap is plenty good). Now you can import this image into any project (and program) that needs this type of fade.

Import, adjust the opacity as needed, and WABAM! Fade!

And if you want, I can post a screencap too!
Having trouble playing back videos? I recommend: Image

Minion
Org Profile

Post by Minion » Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:56 am

if it's a bitmap, it doesn't matter what size. it'll look the same if you stretched a 1x1 bitmap as a 640x480 would :|
KioAtWork: I'm so bored. I don't have class again for another half hour.
Minion: masturbate into someones desk and giggle about it for the remaining 28 minutes

Minion
Org Profile

Post by Minion » Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:56 am

i mean, it being just 1 solid color.
KioAtWork: I'm so bored. I don't have class again for another half hour.
Minion: masturbate into someones desk and giggle about it for the remaining 28 minutes

sinneah
Org Profile

Post by sinneah » Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:59 am

Woah. Thanks a lot for such an elaborate explanation on both questions. I thought about the question I asked at work today. Then I realized I forgot to mention why I cannot make each clip fade to black individually. And here is why *click*click*

Anyways, the solution with the media generator will come in very handy in the future. thanks again =]

Willen
Now in Hi-Def!
Org Profile

Post by Willen » Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:52 am

Minion wrote:if it's a bitmap, it doesn't matter what size. it'll look the same if you stretched a 1x1 bitmap as a 640x480 would :|
Depending on your image import settings, it may not stretch out the bitmap to the video project size (I prefer that the program not stretch, or at least maintain the aspect ratio of the image). And to change the properties of the image each time you add it to the timeline gets tedious after a while. But you are right about the sizing not being an issue, except for my convenience.
Having trouble playing back videos? I recommend: Image

Return to “Movie Studio & Vegas Pro”