Clueless about codecs (Importing and Rendering)

For help and discussion concerning Magix's (formerly Sony's) Movie Studio and Vegas Pro editing software.
KiddTheManiac
Org Profile

Clueless about codecs (Importing and Rendering)

Post by KiddTheManiac » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:45 pm

Alright, so I'm working on an AMV, and the source video I have is in .mkv format with these specs:
Spoiler :
I'm using AnyVideoConverter5 to convert the files for use in Vegas Pro 12. When I convert them into .avi format, I always get an error like "can't open the codec", no matter what codec I select in AVC5 (xvid, x264, mpeg, etc). When I convert them into .mp4 format, (mpeg4 codec) I can use the files in Vegas just fine, but none of the available MP4/avi rendering options seem to match my source clips (when I select "match to project settings" all it offers me are sound file formats). I've tried a few different rendering formats, despite the fact none of them have the right dimensions, but when I open the rendered file all I get is either sound or just "cannot render the file."

What I'd like to know is what settings (format, codec, bitrate, etc) I should be using to convert my MKVs so they'll be usuable in Vegas Pro and will actually render into a file that resembles what I'm seeing in my preview window.

Any help on this would be much appreciated, and feel free to bop me on the head if I've overlooked something incredibly obvious or basic.

Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
Org Profile

Re: Clueless about codecs (Importing and Rendering)

Post by Nya-chan Production » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:03 pm

You should convert to lossless avi. Most of how-to, along with the guides, codecs and other stuff can be found on http://www.animemusicvideos.org/guides/avtech31/

Return to “Movie Studio & Vegas Pro”