Sony Vegas Where should I start?

For help and discussion concerning Magix's (formerly Sony's) Movie Studio and Vegas Pro editing software.
FlamingMangos
Org Profile

Post by FlamingMangos » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:34 pm

I'm a complete newb when using sony vegas but i want to start making my own effects and transitions for my amvs. Where should I start?

pacotacoshell
Org Profile

Re: Sony Vegas Where should I start?

Post by pacotacoshell » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:38 pm

What I did when I started editing was I just messed around with it for a few days and figure out what does what. Google can also help you with cool shortcuts, like the S key splitting one clip into two and so on.

And obviously, obtain anime to edit with :P

Radical_Yue
Org Profile

Post by Radical_Yue » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:27 pm

http://www.animemusicvideos.org/forum/v ... 64#p838864

^ That helped me a lot with the basic functions of Vegas. It's old but it still applies :3

tipsd9video
Org Profile

Post by tipsd9video » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:45 pm

When I first got Vegas I just played around with it for a while. If you want to start making effects and transitions, I'd practice masking and explore what different settings and effects look like.
youtube accounts:
tipsd9video for animations and AMVs
animefxnstuff for live action videos

TEKnician
Org Profile

Post by TEKnician » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:11 pm

pacotacoshell wrote:What I did when I started editing was I just messed around with it for a few days and figure out what does what. Google can also help you with cool shortcuts, like the S key splitting one clip into two and so on.

And obviously, obtain anime to edit with :P
Even though I'm a Mac, learning principles are similar. Find a tool and continuously use it on stock footage to burn it into muscle memory.

Repetition for emphasis. But one thing to also get a good grasp on us masking. Develop an awareness of how to draw it out and how the lines bend. Playing with stock footage is fun because the video doesn't matter. I can completely fail at masking one object but it won't matter now. But the more I do it, the more natural it feels.

For effects, go down the list in order and apply it to a clip every time. If you find a cool one, stuff it into favorites. Become aware of the preset effects you have and create an arsenal of ones you want to remember. And again, try it on stock footage to see how it plays out.
Almost as hard as fighting a Holy Paladin.

Return to “Movie Studio & Vegas Pro”