Film Effects in Vegas

For help and discussion concerning Magix's (formerly Sony's) Movie Studio and Vegas Pro editing software.
Mastamind
Org Profile

Film Effects in Vegas

Post by Mastamind » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:10 pm

A problem I've been having for awhile... I want to add grain or scratches, but Vegas always gives me trouble. The Film Effects effect always adds those random vertical lines or pans even when I disable "enable particles". When I just want to add grain (the actual "film grain" effect looks pretty bad), I get unneccessary noise. When I do go for the grungy Spoil-like scratches and choose the type in the drop-down menu (dust, jitter, scratches etc.) nothing happens, all I have is randomized grain and lines. I can control the tint and grain bars, but nothing else. I know AE's the way to go, but I'd like to at least have a bit more control over what I've got in Vegas.
Any tips?

Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
Org Profile

Re: Film Effects in Vegas

Post by Nya-chan Production » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:38 pm

These effects work with keyframes too - are you sure you edit these settings on keyframes?

Mastamind
Org Profile

Post by Mastamind » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:16 pm

Yep, and when I select any noise type it just resets back to "dust" when I close the effect window.

Nya-chan Production
Org Profile

Post by Nya-chan Production » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:56 pm

Can you describe in more detail how you input the effect? On clip, timeline, whole video? I just tried it and had no problems (V8.0c). Screenshot of the effect window would be nice too ;>

Mastamind
Org Profile

Post by Mastamind » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:41 pm

I just drag the "Reset to none" preset onto a clip and the vertical white lines you see in the preview show up (although here I did add some grain and tint):

Nya-chan Production
Org Profile

Post by Nya-chan Production » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:07 pm

Just as I thought (I suppose) - you work with keyframes, see them in the effect window, on the bottom. If you want the effect to be the same during the whole video, just delete one of the keyframes and make sure you have the only one there selected while changing the settings.

If that doesn't help, ask away again, I know this is sometimes tricky ^^;;

Mastamind
Org Profile

Post by Mastamind » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:46 pm

I've tried working with multiple keyframes or just one keyframe for the whole clip, but neither one works.

As for my inability to choose something other than "dust" or keep it from giving me the random lines, I've always assumed the effect was just like that. Or that I had a bad install of the program, which doesn't seem very likely given that I've had this problem after multiple reinstalls and even before upgrading from Vegas 8.

Nya-chan Production
Org Profile

Post by Nya-chan Production » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:52 am

Mastamind wrote:I've tried working with multiple keyframes or just one keyframe for the whole clip, but neither one works.

As for my inability to choose something other than "dust" or keep it from giving me the random lines, I've always assumed the effect was just like that. Or that I had a bad install of the program, which doesn't seem very likely given that I've had this problem after multiple reinstalls and even before upgrading from Vegas 8.
No, I can turn those off completely. I still believe you have something other than Dust allowed on some of those keyframes, but whatever ^^

There is a bypass you can try - add a timeline over your whole project, place an Empty Event on it and place the Effect on it - should make the effect work for the whole project.

Btw, was just trying it and noticed that dragging a Reset To None effect to that makes some dust and a single scratch appear - they disappeared after I pulled Grain and Tint sliders to the top and back, though and didn't reappear even after playing the video.

Return to “Movie Studio & Vegas Pro”