2010 VCAs - Announcements, Schedule of Events, and Feedback

This forum is for the discussion of AMVs for the 2010 Viewers' Choice Awards. This is a temporary forum and will be removed when the contest is done.

2010 VCAs - Announcements, Schedule of Events, and Feedback

Postby GloryQuestor » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:49 pm

It's that time of the year again. Time to reflect on AMVs in 2009 ... and vote for our favorites! Hi, everyone. I'm GloryQuestor, your 2010 MOE (that's "master of events" :sweat: ) for the Viewer's Choice Awards this year.

So what's different from our 2009 VCAs? Well, not a lot. But one key difference this year is that you'll notice we're accepting almost everything for the VCAs. This year is the year you tell us what you don't want to compete in the VCAs, otherwise everything is going in (as long as you're eligible, of course). So, it's a lot to wade through this year for the nominations, but maybe you'll rediscover some old videos and find some great new ones you haven't even considered watching before.

Also, we would like to take the time out to ask for your help. There's a lot of you that give us what they can to keep us running. We really appreciate the support year to year. But, if you've watched the donations page (you know, the one you quickly click through to get to the video download :roll: ), you'll notice that we always could use more. After all, file servers, website servers, keeping the servers powered up every month and in good working order ... all of your money goes to these costly services. So, whether you are a casual visitor here for the VCAs, or a long-time member who may have that extra $12 somewhere, we need your continued support. And yes, the perks you get are actually quite nice.

.. but now it's time for some fun (and videos). :D

- Check each individual category thread to suggest favorites from around the Org (other than your own videos, see below).
- For your own videos, yes, there is a Shameless Pl... er, "Self Promotion" topic for you to show off the videos you want others to check out. :wink:
- Here's where you go to vote.

Current Schedule of Events

- Last day for entries: January 7
- Qualifying videos listed: January 8
- Video nominations: January 8 - January 22
- Semi-final voting: January 23 - January 29
- Final voting: January 31 - February 6
- Winners announced: February 7

:amv:
Samurai Warriors Productions
Website Administrator, AnimeMusicVideos.Org
Pittsburgh Japanese Culture Society Events - AMV Department Head
Anime Weekend Atlanta - Video Art Track Department Supervisor
Another Anime Convention - Fan-Works Theater Staff
ImageImage
GloryQuestor
Moderation Hero

Re: 2010 VCAs - Announcements

Postby GloryQuestor » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:35 pm

Since there are a lot of promo posters going to being posted, I should mention that, effective immediately, we will be following the AMV Screencap Thread Rules for picture posting.

If you upload a compressed poster that fits the filesize limit, however, just PM me and I'll add the link with IMG tags back in.

ImageImage
GloryQuestor
Moderation Hero

Re: 2010 VCAs - Announcements & Schedule of Events

Postby GloryQuestor » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:26 am

The Nominations are now open! Head over to the VCA page to start!

Also, the new category is...

Best Storytelling!

Go go go! :D

(Also, if you find any errors in classification when it comes to MEP, Collaboration, or First Video, please PM me so we can get that correctly ASAP. :wink: )
ImageImage
GloryQuestor
Moderation Hero

Postby GloryQuestor » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:19 pm

Due to constraints with the system, the following videos have been added so that the respective editors may qualify for the VCA "Most Helpful Member" nomination only:

- Niotex's "Eva Reloaded".
- -Reda-'s "Karas-X".

To clarify, these videos are inelligible for 2010 VCA nomination and all votes entered towards them will not count. Also, Niotex and -Reda- do not qualify for any nomination for "Editor of the Year" or "Most Improved Editor", as they did not enter any qualifying 2009 videos.

If there are any questions, please review the "Most Helpful Member" thread and post all responses there.

Party on. :amv:
ImageImage
GloryQuestor
Moderation Hero

Postby GloryQuestor » Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:28 pm

Semi-Final Voting is live. :)
ImageImage
GloryQuestor
Moderation Hero

Postby GloryQuestor » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:57 am

A day late, but we are now live! Finals are ready, so go here to vote and good luck to all of our finalists this year. :)
ImageImage
GloryQuestor
Moderation Hero

Postby GloryQuestor » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:07 am

The winners have been announced. Click here to see the final results.

In closing, it was a great contest this year. There were some issues brought up that we will definitely review and make sure to work on for next year's VCA contest. Overall, however, it seems like everything went well.

I would like to also take this time to thank Helen (Jasper), for giving me the opportunity to manage the contest this year, and to Tim (dokidoki), who was my silent partner in getting things done and deserves a lot of credit for making sure it ran smoothly.

So, the thread is now open for feedback. How did you like the contest this year? What do you suggest could be improved for next year? Let us know. :)
ImageImage
GloryQuestor
Moderation Hero

Re: 2010 VCAs - Announcements, Schedule of Events, and Feedback

Postby mirkosp » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:49 pm

Before starting the semi-final round, let's check that the semi-finalist are fit for the category: that way we don't end up with effectsy vids in the no-effects category final. :sweat:
mirkosp
MODkip

Postby Corran » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:17 am

I think any user with a join date of the VCA year or earlier should be eligible for Most Helpful and not just those that have made a video that year.

While I can think of other user's more deserving than myself, I was kind of curious to see if I would make it to the semi-finals for adding streaming stuff this year. I had a wtf moment when I saw Koop made semi-finals and I didn't. Then I remembered I didn't actually make a video this year even though I collab'ed on same video that made Jay eligible (Since he was the one that entered our video into the org database.)

I can think of other users in the past that I would have nominated for their activity in the video help forums but they didn't edit a video that year also.
Corran

Postby Kitsuner » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:19 am

Corran wrote:While I can think of other user's more deserving than myself, I was kind of curious to see if I would make it to the semi-finals for adding streaming stuff this year. I had a wtf moment when I saw Koop made semi-finals and I didn't. Then I remembered I didn't actually make a video this year even though I collab'ed on same video that made Jay eligible (Since he was the one that entered our video into the org database.)

I would have thought that everyone in the video would achieve eligibility through it.
OtakuGray wrote:Sometimes anime can branch out to a younger audience and this is one of those times where you wish children would just go die.
Stirspeare wrote:<Stirspeare> Lopez: Vanquish my virginity and flood me with kit. ["Ladies..."]
Kitsuner
Maximum Hotness

Postby mirkosp » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:29 am

Kitsuner wrote:
Corran wrote:While I can think of other user's more deserving than myself, I was kind of curious to see if I would make it to the semi-finals for adding streaming stuff this year. I had a wtf moment when I saw Koop made semi-finals and I didn't. Then I remembered I didn't actually make a video this year even though I collab'ed on same video that made Jay eligible (Since he was the one that entered our video into the org database.)

I would have thought that everyone in the video would achieve eligibility through it.

I actually think they did.

But still, with the contest being opt-out, that would automatically make any user on the org eligible... that'd bee a 800k users list to scroll through. Perhaps it should be opt-out for those that made at least a video and/or partecipated in at least a mep/collab within the year, and opt-in for anyone else. That way users that wish to run for most helpful despite not having made any video will still be able to and we won't get a too huge of a list.
mirkosp
MODkip

Postby godix » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:58 am

Feedbacks

I didn't realize there was a requirement to make a video to be eligible for most helpful. That's rather retarded. To keep it from being every user in the database, perhaps just limit it to people who have actually logged into the forums within a year? After all, realistically speaking, how many people are there who would deserve a vote from being Most Helpful if they haven't logged into the forums even once that year? Assuming, of course, that an org run contest means it's categories have an unspoken 'on the org' implication. Although I prefer this idea actually: the finals for Most Helpful should just have me in it and no one else.

I mentioned it before, but just to repeat, kill Best Collab. Define Best MEP off how many editors are in it. Under that amount of editors competes in the regular video categories.

Kill Most Improved. I just glanced through several years of data, there doesn't seem to be any year within the last half a decade that Most Improved actually went to someone who improved. It is, basically, 'Contender for Editor of the Year but with a different name' anymore. Since we already have an Editor of the Year do we really need a second category for it?

Kill Best Lip-sync OR add 'Best Shatter', 'Best Star Wipe', 'Best Riot Gear', 'Best Cutout', etc. It's rather moronic to have an award for a single type of effect, especially since there is already an award for Best Effects anyway.
godix
a disturbed member

Postby Nya-chan Production » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:24 am

x2 godix except Best Lipsync ;x
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view

Postby Panky » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:51 pm

godix wrote:Feedbacks

I didn't realize there was a requirement to make a video to be eligible for most helpful. That's rather retarded. To keep it from being every user in the database, perhaps just limit it to people who have actually logged into the forums within a year? After all, realistically speaking, how many people are there who would deserve a vote from being Most Helpful if they haven't logged into the forums even once that year? Assuming, of course, that an org run contest means it's categories have an unspoken 'on the org' implication. Although I prefer this idea actually: the finals for Most Helpful should just have me in it and no one else.

Agree, maybe combine it with the user search by name, that way you could search for the user you want to nominate without going through a list of 500k or whatever amount of users. And if there are more specific conditions to be met, use the other way.
Panky

Postby mirkosp » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:53 pm

Panky wrote:
godix wrote:Feedbacks

Agree, maybe combine it with the user search by name, that way you could search for the user you want to nominate without going through a list of 500k or whatever amount of users. And if there are more specific conditions to be met, use the other way.

Ever tried Ctrl+F in your browser of choice? :P
mirkosp
MODkip

Next

Return to 2010 AnimeMusicVideos.org Viewers' Choice Awards