Vanished huffies xD

For discussion on Mac software and video editing on Mac computers.
Anicsi
Org Profile

Vanished huffies xD

Post by Anicsi » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:36 am

Okay, I really don't know why this kind of stuff always happens to ME. It must be a curse or something *cries*
Well, yesterday I converted some of my clips to Huffies using Avidemux as usual. So... yeah, I acidentally disconnected my external harddrive during the process but reconnected it within 5 seconds or so.

The huffies were supposed to be saved on this disk, as I didn't have that much space on my internal left. Yesterday I think it was something like 15 GB xD So...my problem is... today I suddenly got a warning, saying that I don't have space left on my internal and I was really surprised, cause I didn't do anything that could've needed so much space. Except converting Huffies xD And when I checked on my external I noticed that all the huffies I converted yesterday after disconnected the disk aren't THERE. To put it short: They are nowhere to be found, but the space is taken on my INTERNAL XD I searched through my diks using the spotligh and search function, but it is no help.

Then I looked it up in Avidemux, where he saved my huffies to... My external is called "Feuerdraht". It appears that my computer created a folder called "Feuerdraht" when my external was disconnected and saved all the huffies there. Now, I can't find it anywhere.

Here's a screen:

So this 'Volumes' folder just isn't there except when I upload something XDD Help me, please ;___;

LantisEscudo
Org Profile

Re: Vanished huffies xD

Post by LantisEscudo » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:29 am

The easiest way I can think of to deal with this is through the Terminal (Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal).

With your external disconnected, start Terminal and run the following commands:

Code: Select all

cd ~
sudo mv /Volumes/Feuerdraht/ Desktop
You may have to enter your password for the second command, and note the space between the last / and Desktop.

This will move the folder you created in the Volumes folder to your Desktop. Then you can plug your external in and put the files on it.

Anicsi
Org Profile

Post by Anicsi » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:00 pm

LantisEscudo wrote:The easiest way I can think of to deal with this is through the Terminal (Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal).

With your external disconnected, start Terminal and run the following commands:

cd ~
sudo mv /Volumes/Feuerdraht/ Desktop
You may have to enter your password for the second command, and note the space between the last / and Desktop.

This will move the folder you created in the Volumes folder to your Desktop. Then you can plug your external in and put the files on it.
Thank you very much ^^ Hmm, well sorry, I wasn't too precise. The folder is called Feuerdraht 400. So I tried to rename the command, but it still won't work.

Last login: Tue Sep  1 21:53:00 on ttyp1
Welcome to Darwin!
anna:~ Anna$ cd ~
anna:~ Anna$ sudo mv /Volumes/Feuerdraht 400/ Desktop
mv: rename /Volumes/Feuerdraht to Desktop/Feuerdraht: No such file or directory
mv: rename 400/ to Desktop/400/: No such file or directory

Is it wrong to type it in with a space? Sorry, I have hardly ever worked with the terminal. ^^"

LantisEscudo
Org Profile

Post by LantisEscudo » Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:13 pm

Ah. In that case, the command would be "sudo mv /Volumes/Feuerdraht\ 400/ Desktop". You need a backslash before the space to tell it that the space is part of the filename.

Anicsi
Org Profile

Post by Anicsi » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:59 am

LantisEscudo wrote:Ah. In that case, the command would be "sudo mv /Volumes/Feuerdraht\ 400/ Desktop". You need a backslash before the space to tell it that the space is part of the filename.
Oh thanks, thanks, thanks sooooo much, it worked *___*
I luv you lol It's no fun with only 100 MB on the harddrive left xDDD

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:03 pm

I've had this happen before. It is a GOOD thing in the end, because it means OS X will make sure you don't lose your encodes. It's a safety net, and it is a good one. Just make sure to copy down the terminal commands Lantis gave you in case it happens again.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

Anicsi
Org Profile

Post by Anicsi » Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:10 am

Kionon wrote:I've had this happen before. It is a GOOD thing in the end, because it means OS X will make sure you don't lose your encodes. It's a safety net, and it is a good one. Just make sure to copy down the terminal commands Lantis gave you in case it happens again.
Yeah, you are right, I also thougt about that. At first I was really like: Ahhh, no, why?????? But it actually helps if you know how to get the files back xD
So thanks again ^^ *saves the commands to never lose them*

Return to “Mac Software”