New Final Cut Studio

For discussion on Mac software and video editing on Mac computers.
NeoQuixotic
Master Procrastinator
Org Profile

New Final Cut Studio

Post by NeoQuixotic » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:04 pm

Finally, a new Final Cut Studio.

http://www.studiodaily.com/main/news/Ap ... 11117.html
http://www.apple.com/finalcutstudio/

Only $1000 now, not bad. Eat that Avid!
Insert clever text/image here.

LivingFlame
Org Profile

Re: New Final Cut Studio

Post by LivingFlame » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:08 pm

Just to add to that:

$300 for upgrade.

$900 for the student edition.
... yea ...

gotenks794
Org Profile

Post by gotenks794 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:54 pm

$900 for students? That's madness! I recall FCS2 Having a much greater student discount... :down:
MAC is a cosmetics brand. Mac is the superior computing platform. It's not an acronym.

LivingFlame
Org Profile

Post by LivingFlame » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:06 pm

Yea, it's a pretty weak discount. Especially considering a student can get Adobe CS4 Production Premium for $600. Heck, a student can get the Master Collection for the same price as the non-academic Final Cut Studio. :?
... yea ...

NeoQuixotic
Master Procrastinator
Org Profile

Post by NeoQuixotic » Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:13 pm

But if I remember correctly, you can't upgrade a student version. So spending a bit more now will save you a lot a couple years down the road. Huh, I got Adobe Master for $500 from my school.

gotenks794
Org Profile

Post by gotenks794 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:55 pm

anubisx00 wrote:But if I remember correctly, you can't upgrade a student version. So spending a bit more now will save you a lot a couple years down the road. Huh, I got Adobe Master for $500 from my school.
This is quite off topic, but what school do you go to and how can I enroll? :P
MAC is a cosmetics brand. Mac is the superior computing platform. It's not an acronym.

LivingFlame
Org Profile

Post by LivingFlame » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:54 am

Heh, $500 is quite a steal. Was it the newest version at the time?
... yea ...

NeoQuixotic
Master Procrastinator
Org Profile

Post by NeoQuixotic » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:37 pm

http://www.usc-b2b.com (based in MN, Adobe Student License Software Require Adobe CLP Contract Number with Student Option)

It seemed to be a deal with the University of Minnesota, but I actually don't go there, but to a local technical college. It's basically a volume licensing deal, but available for students. It all depends on your school and what deals they have made, or you could just move up here :).

Anyways, only $100 off for the academic price of Final Cut Studio seems pointless now. Unless you find a school that deals with volume licensing to get a cheaper price, either buy the full version or look for better deals.

One of the things that I found odd was no real update to DVD Studio Pro. DVDSP is still only version 4 and doesn't support Blu-Ray authoring. Now you can export Blu-Ray compatible files (high profile MPEG-2, H.264, and relevant audio formats), but no authoring. Apple does mention using built-in or downloadable templates, but that is just meh. I bet they at least removed all the mentions of HD-DVD seeing that it lost the format war. I'd stick to Adobe Encore or other authoring programs for your Blu-Ray or even DVD authoring needs.

I do like the additions to the ProRes codec family. ProRes 4444 looks to give an alternative to using the old Apple Animation codec for high quality and alpha channels. I just hope they update QuickTime to have the decoders on both Mac and Windows. And I'd love it if they offered a ProRes encoder for Windows, but I doubt that will ever happen.

pemberly
Org Profile

Post by pemberly » Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:46 pm

I own FCS so I was able to upgrade to the latest FCS and so far I love it. (Can't say I love everything about Snow Leopard, but that's a different story . . . ) I am also loving playing with the new Prores codecs, and am looking forward to learning Motion. (I just got a new Mac—the old one didn't support Motion very well.)

PaperIsland
Org Profile

Post by PaperIsland » Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:42 am

If we're talking about student discounts, you can get Avid (for the Mac or PC) at an unreal student discount:

http://www.journeyed.com/item/Avid/Medi ... /100960590

Cut from $2,500 to $300.

...That said, I edit on Final Cut right now.

Return to “Mac Software”