New Final Cut Studio

For discussion on Mac software and video editing on Mac computers.

New Final Cut Studio

Postby NeoQuixotic » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:04 pm

Finally, a new Final Cut Studio.

http://www.studiodaily.com/main/news/Ap ... 11117.html
http://www.apple.com/finalcutstudio/

Only $1000 now, not bad. Eat that Avid!
Insert clever text/image here.
NeoQuixotic
Master Procrastinator

Re: New Final Cut Studio

Postby LivingFlame » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:08 pm

Just to add to that:

$300 for upgrade.

$900 for the student edition.
... yea ...
LivingFlame

Postby gotenks794 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:54 pm

$900 for students? That's madness! I recall FCS2 Having a much greater student discount... :down:
MAC is a cosmetics brand. Mac is the superior computing platform. It's not an acronym.
gotenks794

Postby LivingFlame » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:06 pm

Yea, it's a pretty weak discount. Especially considering a student can get Adobe CS4 Production Premium for $600. Heck, a student can get the Master Collection for the same price as the non-academic Final Cut Studio. :?
... yea ...
LivingFlame

Postby NeoQuixotic » Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:13 pm

But if I remember correctly, you can't upgrade a student version. So spending a bit more now will save you a lot a couple years down the road. Huh, I got Adobe Master for $500 from my school.
NeoQuixotic
Master Procrastinator

Postby gotenks794 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:55 pm

anubisx00 wrote:But if I remember correctly, you can't upgrade a student version. So spending a bit more now will save you a lot a couple years down the road. Huh, I got Adobe Master for $500 from my school.

This is quite off topic, but what school do you go to and how can I enroll? :P
MAC is a cosmetics brand. Mac is the superior computing platform. It's not an acronym.
gotenks794

Postby LivingFlame » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:54 am

Heh, $500 is quite a steal. Was it the newest version at the time?
... yea ...
LivingFlame

Postby NeoQuixotic » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:37 pm

http://www.usc-b2b.com (based in MN, Adobe Student License Software Require Adobe CLP Contract Number with Student Option)

It seemed to be a deal with the University of Minnesota, but I actually don't go there, but to a local technical college. It's basically a volume licensing deal, but available for students. It all depends on your school and what deals they have made, or you could just move up here :).

Anyways, only $100 off for the academic price of Final Cut Studio seems pointless now. Unless you find a school that deals with volume licensing to get a cheaper price, either buy the full version or look for better deals.

One of the things that I found odd was no real update to DVD Studio Pro. DVDSP is still only version 4 and doesn't support Blu-Ray authoring. Now you can export Blu-Ray compatible files (high profile MPEG-2, H.264, and relevant audio formats), but no authoring. Apple does mention using built-in or downloadable templates, but that is just meh. I bet they at least removed all the mentions of HD-DVD seeing that it lost the format war. I'd stick to Adobe Encore or other authoring programs for your Blu-Ray or even DVD authoring needs.

I do like the additions to the ProRes codec family. ProRes 4444 looks to give an alternative to using the old Apple Animation codec for high quality and alpha channels. I just hope they update QuickTime to have the decoders on both Mac and Windows. And I'd love it if they offered a ProRes encoder for Windows, but I doubt that will ever happen.
NeoQuixotic
Master Procrastinator

Postby pemberly » Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:46 pm

I own FCS so I was able to upgrade to the latest FCS and so far I love it. (Can't say I love everything about Snow Leopard, but that's a different story . . . ) I am also loving playing with the new Prores codecs, and am looking forward to learning Motion. (I just got a new Mac—the old one didn't support Motion very well.)
pemberly

Postby PaperIsland » Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:42 am

If we're talking about student discounts, you can get Avid (for the Mac or PC) at an unreal student discount:

http://www.journeyed.com/item/Avid/Media%20Composer/100960590

Cut from $2,500 to $300.

...That said, I edit on Final Cut right now.
PaperIsland

Postby gotenks794 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:44 pm

PaperIsland wrote:If we're talking about student discounts, you can get Avid (for the Mac or PC) at an unreal student discount:

http://www.journeyed.com/item/Avid/Media%20Composer/100960590

Cut from $2,500 to $300.

...That said, I edit on Final Cut right now.

Whoa. What does that get you though? What exactly is Avid Media Composer? (I know very little about Avid, if that's not apparent.)
gotenks794

Postby PaperIsland » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:18 pm

Avid is the most popular editing software among high-end editors / film studios. Some big names use Final Cut now, but that's more of the exception that proves the rule. It's got a fairly steep learning curve... so I wouldn't go for it unless you plan on being a professional editor.
PaperIsland

Postby Bauzi » Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:58 pm

I think the only reason we learn Avid in my film college is because it's the widest spread editing software in the proffessional world. If my teachers would have the choice I bet they would take Final Cut Pro or Premiere Pro instead of Avid.
Bauzi

Location: Austria (uhm the other country without kangaroos^^)

Postby Athena » Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:25 pm

It a depends on what you start with. When I began my editing career in the late nineties, the TV station I worked for at Premiere 5. And so a decade later, even on Mac, I am still using premiere. I can use Final Cut, but I don't like it. And as for Avid, my attempts to learn it were... lazy at best.
Athena
I ♥ the 80's

Return to Mac Software