Can't save to .mov, Large file size.

For discussion on Mac software and video editing on Mac computers.
JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:00 pm

.avi is a container not a codec

NekoHikaruChan
Org Profile

Post by NekoHikaruChan » Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:41 pm

JaddziaDax wrote:.avi is a container not a codec
But you require a codec for it. Which she doesn't have nor can she get. (Xvid/Divx)

KitkatMoofin
Org Profile

Post by KitkatMoofin » Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:19 am

I'm the friend that has the problem. I'll explain. I'm using an eMac, which is pretty old, but does everything that I need it to do. I'm well experienced in video making, and computers. I usually use a normal XP PC, but I have family issues. So, I'm using my eMac, and I have episodes, but they take a really long time to import, 'cause my computer is old, and it doesn't have the speed to let it import like normal ones do. Also, the episode is around 30 minutes long, and is around 110MB. I can import episodes onto iMovie, but it takes around 4 hours, and I'm not a boring freak who sitting in front of a computer staring at the bar. I told Hikaru about my problem, and she offered to do me some clips, so it would save me some time, and I could actually make videos when I'm on my eMac as well as on my PC. But, when she saved them they saved in a really high file size for no real reason. It didn't matter how high or low the quality was, it was still stupidly high. I've been using a mac, for a long time, and .mov files are usually quite big, but not that big. I had my friend at the beginning of the year, do me some clips also, the file size was only around 5MB, for around 3 minutes of clips, using the same programs and having good quality. I can't use .avi type files 'cause they're even bigger, and the codec doesn't work right on my machine. I've talked to an expert about it over the phone, and they don't know why it wouldn't work either, so, that's to do with codec. Codec isn't my problem though. Here's the situation explained. So, why are the files so big, and how to make the files smaller?

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:26 am

HikaruXANA wrote:
JaddziaDax wrote:.avi is a container not a codec
But you require a codec for it. Which she doesn't have nor can she get. (Xvid/Divx)
No, this is incorrect. AVI is a container. you could need any number of decoders installed based on the codec used to encode the video that was put in the AVI. AVI can also hold uncompressed video that requires no codec for playback.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

DeinReich
Org Profile

Post by DeinReich » Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:46 pm

Your best bet is just wait. Let the computer sit and do it's thing while you do whatever it is you need to do. Just have some patience and your video will look better because of it. 110MB files are more than common, and are usually pretty much the bare minimum of good quality file sizes, so unless you want your video to be pixelated to oblivion, just wait for it to finish exporting, overnight even if you must. There are no quick shortcuts for good video editing, it just takes patience.

KitkatMoofin
Org Profile

Post by KitkatMoofin » Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:51 am

But that's not the problem, I'm not worried about the episodes, and it creates cache which is HUGE. I only have like 7GB left on this, outta' like 30GB (it's old.. I've had it since I was like 8 or something..) Also, one episode isn't really very good.. The anime I'm working with has like 95 episodes, and I like certain episodes, which is mainly around 40 episodes, I wouldn't be able to import them due to lack of space, and it would take like 5 days. I don't even spent that much time here, and to have access to this PC. This is why I would like clips, since atm I'm using high quality .gif's, and I'm totally against .gif's in videos, so it goes against everything I say about them. Can you see my point why I like clips instead episodes now? If no one can answer why the files are so big, like Hikaru asked in the first place, within today, then thanks anyway, 'cause I won't have any access after today.

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:59 am

The clips are that big because of the compression settings used and some combination of the bitrate requirements of the video and the bitrate requirements of the audio. Remember, video isn't all the same - if whatever you're using to save clips is working with "constant quality" instead of "constant size" you're going to have bigger clips if your footage has lots of motion, lots of color, lots of detail, etc. - Alternatively, if you get the things to save as a constant size, they'll look absolutely horrible when they're done because their requirements were so much higher than what you allowed them to be.

I'd honestly take a break if your computer situation is that bad - you're not going to be able to produce anything approaching quality if you don't have extreme patience.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

KitkatMoofin
Org Profile

Post by KitkatMoofin » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:59 am

Thanks for the advice, but I've worked it out for myself. I'm just gunna' use my own computer make clips, upload them to a site, then download them when I need them. It's only Hikaru's problem with the file, my files are small. I don't usually use macs if you saw what I said before, I just happen to be sometimes. Most of the time I just use Sony Vegas Pro 8.0. Thanks anyhow.

Return to “Mac Software”