Can't save to .mov, Large file size.

For discussion on Mac software and video editing on Mac computers.

Can't save to .mov, Large file size.

Postby NekoHikaruChan » Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:23 am

Hi, I'm wondering if I can get help with a problem.
My friend is on a mac and needed episode clips because episodes take forever to import. So I offered to cut clips and send them to her.
But the file type she needs is .mov. I thought it wouldn't be an issue. But when I save to .mov in Vegas, it comes out 1GB or more. I tried lowering quality to 0 even, changing frame size to 100x100, and it still comes out large up to at least 50MB.
She said another friend was able to give her clips once that were small.
Is there something I'm doing wrong? The clip its self was only around 1 minute long.
NekoHikaruChan

Postby NekoHikaruChan » Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:24 am

Forgot to add, I'm on Windows Vista.
(Would just edit post, but I don't see option anywhere, sorry for double post >.<)
NekoHikaruChan

Postby DeinReich » Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:21 am

What editing system is she using? Because she is on a Mac, she is probably using either iMovie or Final Cut Express/Pro/Studio.
DeinReich

Postby NekoHikaruChan » Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:26 am

imovie. But that's not the problem. I tried to cut clips and save them as .mov for her. And they come out huge. Even when I tweak the settings to have low quality and small frames.
NekoHikaruChan

Postby DeinReich » Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:34 am

50mb is not all that big at all for video footage, even for very low quality. Footage as a cohesive whole is a hard drive hog, so seeing a 1GB, 20 minute .mov is not to be unexpected.

Check what codec your .mov is saving as. It should be saved in H.264 for the best quality with small size.

If the size is still a problem, you can compress them into an .avi codec (though the highest quality lossless codecs will still be a giant file size) and iMovie should read it fine.
DeinReich

Postby Vivaldi » Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:53 am

I'm guesing her friend gave her Xvid or something and it happend to work. But the file sizes don't seems to bad. How much harddrive space does she have left?
<Kenzichu> HAHAHA!!
<Kenzichu> everyone died!
Vivaldi
Polemic Apologist

Postby NekoHikaruChan » Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:45 am

Vivaldi wrote:I'm guesing her friend gave her Xvid or something and it happend to work. But the file sizes don't seems to bad. How much harddrive space does she have left?

She doesn't have the codec for .avi and can't get it. So it's not an option.
And sure it's not that big of a file size, but to send over instant messenger would take forever. Especially if it's possible to get it lower.
NekoHikaruChan

Postby DeinReich » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:18 pm

Use something like YouSendIt or Sendspace instead of sending anything big like footage instead of IM.

Any way you do this, your files are going to be big. In the end, big is (usually) good, so you are best off trying what we've said, because your options are rather slim here.
DeinReich

Postby NekoHikaruChan » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:27 pm

DeinReich wrote:Use something like YouSendIt or Sendspace instead of sending anything big like footage instead of IM.

Any way you do this, your files are going to be big. In the end, big is (usually) good, so you are best off trying what we've said, because your options are rather slim here.

For a clip that is only 1 minute long? It doesn't make sense. For .wmv it'd be 2-5mb. But 50mb for .mov seems kinda large for that short of a clip.
NekoHikaruChan

Postby DeinReich » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:32 pm

Uncompressed .mov are big. If you have control over your .mov settings you can set it to compress to H.264. That is your best bet.

Also, .wmv is made for small file size, not quality, and especially not for editing. .mov is great for editing in my experience, mainly because it isn't so drastically compressed.
DeinReich

Postby JaddziaDax » Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:00 pm

.avi is a container not a codec
JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!

Postby NekoHikaruChan » Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:41 pm

JaddziaDax wrote:.avi is a container not a codec

But you require a codec for it. Which she doesn't have nor can she get. (Xvid/Divx)
NekoHikaruChan

Postby KitkatMoofin » Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:19 am

I'm the friend that has the problem. I'll explain. I'm using an eMac, which is pretty old, but does everything that I need it to do. I'm well experienced in video making, and computers. I usually use a normal XP PC, but I have family issues. So, I'm using my eMac, and I have episodes, but they take a really long time to import, 'cause my computer is old, and it doesn't have the speed to let it import like normal ones do. Also, the episode is around 30 minutes long, and is around 110MB. I can import episodes onto iMovie, but it takes around 4 hours, and I'm not a boring freak who sitting in front of a computer staring at the bar. I told Hikaru about my problem, and she offered to do me some clips, so it would save me some time, and I could actually make videos when I'm on my eMac as well as on my PC. But, when she saved them they saved in a really high file size for no real reason. It didn't matter how high or low the quality was, it was still stupidly high. I've been using a mac, for a long time, and .mov files are usually quite big, but not that big. I had my friend at the beginning of the year, do me some clips also, the file size was only around 5MB, for around 3 minutes of clips, using the same programs and having good quality. I can't use .avi type files 'cause they're even bigger, and the codec doesn't work right on my machine. I've talked to an expert about it over the phone, and they don't know why it wouldn't work either, so, that's to do with codec. Codec isn't my problem though. Here's the situation explained. So, why are the files so big, and how to make the files smaller?
KitkatMoofin

Postby BasharOfTheAges » Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:26 am

HikaruXANA wrote:
JaddziaDax wrote:.avi is a container not a codec

But you require a codec for it. Which she doesn't have nor can she get. (Xvid/Divx)
No, this is incorrect. AVI is a container. you could need any number of decoders installed based on the codec used to encode the video that was put in the AVI. AVI can also hold uncompressed video that requires no codec for playback.
BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?

Postby DeinReich » Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:46 pm

Your best bet is just wait. Let the computer sit and do it's thing while you do whatever it is you need to do. Just have some patience and your video will look better because of it. 110MB files are more than common, and are usually pretty much the bare minimum of good quality file sizes, so unless you want your video to be pixelated to oblivion, just wait for it to finish exporting, overnight even if you must. There are no quick shortcuts for good video editing, it just takes patience.
DeinReich

Next

Return to Mac Software