Final Cut Pro vs Final Cut Express question

For discussion on Mac software and video editing on Mac computers.
NightMistress85
Org Profile

Post by NightMistress85 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:57 pm

It can come out clear, but it was really tough to resize it afterwards with converters. I'd just rather my file already be exported how I want it. Under Apple TV (where you get m4v) it doesn't let you resize or anything before exporting, since it's already set to be on a television. And then there's still the "unrendered" thing that bugged me.

This has all be very educational though. I may have to run across FCP or FCE again, so it's nice to know there IS a way. :) Thanks again.

mahler
Org Profile

Post by mahler » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:32 pm

I don't resize usually, I try to export out of Final Cut at the frame size I want to use. (Though I may resize for a dial-up version of my video.) It's easy to do by choosing a custom frame size and typing in the size (640x480, 768x432, or what have you.)

I believe that M4V uses the H.264 codec. You could probably also export out with Quicktime MOV with the H.264 codec, or MP4 with the H.264 codec, and they would probably look equally sharp. (Though H.264 MOV are not the favorite downloadable file type, but streaming video sites like Imeem will accept them with no problem. And anyone with VLC Player or Quicktime can play H.264 MOV.) Many amv people here favor H.264 MP4 files.

It may not be desirable to export out as uncompressed, only to convert to a different file type (like XviD AVI or DivX) using a third-party encoder (like ffmpegX) but a lot of the Windows-based amv members do this all the time, so it's standard procedure around here.

In any case, I think you did well to get Premiere Pro, since you'll be able to upgrade it. I really like Premiere (the little bit I've used it), so have fun learning how to use it! :D There are a lot of Premiere users here, so you'll be in good company. :)

NightMistress85
Org Profile

Post by NightMistress85 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:38 pm

Thanks! I'm going to keep all of this in mind for sure. I can't wait to see what I can really make with Premiere. Its design actually reminds me a bit of FCP too.

Return to “Mac Software”