iMovie HD 5 codecs?

For discussion on Mac software and video editing on Mac computers.
SailorCardKnight
Org Profile

iMovie HD 5 codecs?

Post by SailorCardKnight » Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:26 pm

I want to get a new editing program but right now I don't have the money to do so. So I have been looking for some codecs (that are free) for my current program, iMovie. I know they are out there somewhere, and I did manage to find some free sample codecs that let me do some addtional effects (like an x-ray effect which I know will come in handy). So does anybody know where I can find some addtional ones? I want to do something more with my AMVs but right now I don't have the cash to do so.

If there isn't anything, then what video editing program do you people recommend for a Mac user like me who don't have much cash and wants a good program where they can do alot with it? (for when I do get some cash to spare) And are there any that support .wmv files?

Shazzy
Org Profile

Post by Shazzy » Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:37 pm

I think you have your terminology confused. Do you want more effects or more codecs? Effects are flashy things to add to your video, while codec is just a file format. For example, an image format is JPEG or GIF. A video codec is DivX or MPEG-2.

If you want lots of effects, stick with iMovie. There are quite a few free plugins for iMovie. You could also look at MediaEdit Pro, though I doubt it has more effects than iMovie. If you had cash to burn, tyou'd want to look at Adobe Premiere or Final Cut Pro.

Here are some iMovie effects site. Some are free, some are not.

Virtix
Stupendous
GeeThree
Gecko Tribe
Mac 360
c/fx
Pixlock
SebSoft

If you're student, do a search for any of the commercial plugins at Academic Superstore to get an educational discount.

Effects are the least important part of your video, IMNSHO, though. Effects on top of bad editing is still bad editing. Don't worry if you can't give the Org seizures.
AMV guides for Mac users
DOWNLOAD THIS AMV
Quarter-life crisis: a sense that everyone is, somehow, doing better than you.

SailorCardKnight
Org Profile

Post by SailorCardKnight » Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:22 pm

Shazzy wrote:I think you have your terminology confused. Do you want more effects or more codecs? Effects are flashy things to add to your video, while codec is just a file format. For example, an image format is JPEG or GIF. A video codec is DivX or MPEG-2.

If you want lots of effects, stick with iMovie. There are quite a few free plugins for iMovie. You could also look at MediaEdit Pro, though I doubt it has more effects than iMovie. If you had cash to burn, tyou'd want to look at Adobe Premiere or Final Cut Pro.

Here are some iMovie effects site. Some are free, some are not.

Virtix
Stupendous
GeeThree
Gecko Tribe
Mac 360
c/fx
Pixlock
SebSoft

If you're student, do a search for any of the commercial plugins at Academic Superstore to get an educational discount.
Well, I keep finding "codecs" that will add addtional effects.

Thanks for the links and other info, i'll check it out!
Shazzy wrote: Effects are the least important part of your video, IMNSHO, though. Effects on top of bad editing is still bad editing. Don't worry if you can't give the Org seizures.
I think ive mastered the editing part pretty well, I just want to try and add some spice to my AMVs, and don't worry, I don't plan on giving anyone seizures. *laughs*

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:00 pm

SailorCardKnight wrote:Well, I keep finding "codecs" that will add addtional effects.
What you're saying doesn't begin to make any sort of sence. Do you understand what a codec is?
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

joanne45
Org Profile

Post by joanne45 » Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:08 am

This is what I'm looking for...is there a flipping channel effects anyway :?: I've been looked every where on yahoo search and it's nothing a liiiitle bit....pretty please :lol:

Return to “Mac Software”