Final Cut Pro is the evil doom Dx

For discussion on Mac software and video editing on Mac computers.
Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:54 pm

Val3ntia wrote:shazzy - Does that walk-through apply only to Macs? I'm on Windows XP. Windows Media Player keeps telling me I need Xvid or DiVX, but everyone else says not to edit with that stuff. So I really don't know what to do - sorry for my total and (I'm sure) annoying ignorance. Dx
It's easier on Windows because people have already written <a href="/guides/avtech">guides</a> specifically tailored to Windows.

By all means get the codecs so you can play those files back, but don't edit with those files -- <a href="http://www.amvwiki.org/index.php/DivX_Editing">here's why you shouldn't and how you can get around it</a>.
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

Shazzy
Org Profile

Post by Shazzy » Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:09 am

Yeah, read the Windows guides. You can have the Xvid/DivX codecs on your system; there's a big difference between playing DivX encoded movies and editing in DivX.
AMV guides for Mac users
DOWNLOAD THIS AMV
Quarter-life crisis: a sense that everyone is, somehow, doing better than you.

Dynamics
Org Profile

Post by Dynamics » Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:25 pm

shazzy wrote:I wrote a whole tutorial on the pre-editing conversion process for the Mac. You'll want to read all the pages in the Concept section. Yes, it will take some time, but making AMVs has a learning curve.
URL down. . .
shazzy wrote:Okies, I'm going to walk you through this. Do me a huge favor though, and use capitalization and punctuation when you write. :)

1. Download MPEG Streamclip.
2. Open MPEG Streamclip once it's installed.
3. Drag your ORIGINAL anime source file (not your movie, not anything you've converted, the original anime movie/series you started with) into the main window. Here's an example:

4. Go to File>Export to Quicktime

5. Copy what I have in the window below. You want Apple Motion JPEG A as your compressor, at 50% quality, 640x480 as your frame size, 29.97 in the frame rate box, and everything else UNCHECKED.

This may not be perfect, but it will do for now. We can fix other problems later. IF YOU WANT FURTHER HELP FROM ME, EXPORT WITH THE EXACT SETTINGS IN THE PICTURE BELOW.

Now hit the Make Movie button.

Open up your new file that MPEG Streamclip just converted. Let me know how it looks. If you can, take a screenshot (CMD+SHIFT+3) and post it.
This has been a great help . . .finally i have editable video in my FCP. . . however what can i do about the interlacing? The video has horizontal line skips i guess would be the best way to describe it i'm guessing? or did i miss a step due to the missing pics?

What are the recommended codecs to have installed for mac? if you know where to find them that'd be helpful too. Thanks again for helpin the NooB'z.

dokool
Sir Gaijin Smash
Org Profile

Post by dokool » Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:18 am

Dynamics wrote:This has been a great help . . .finally i have editable video in my FCP. . . however what can i do about the interlacing? The video has horizontal line skips i guess would be the best way to describe it i'm guessing? or did i miss a step due to the missing pics?

What are the recommended codecs to have installed for mac? if you know where to find them that'd be helpful too. Thanks again for helpin the NooB'z.
Pro tip: Pre-processing sucks hardcore on the Mac - I wrestled with Shazzy's guide for about a week before I gave up trying to deal with video that had field-switching after EVERY SCENE.

Here's my advice, if you have a Windows machine: IVTC/Deinterlace/Whatever your footage in Windows. Do your filtering there, make it all nice and pretty with AVISynth, make clips, have a ball. Then, make your clips Uncompressed AVI, copy them to your Mac, and either convert them to a lossless editable codec, or just leave'm as-is and edit. Quite frankly, nothing currently available on OSX even holds a candle to the AMVApp - MactheRipper won't let me rip individual chapters, CineTools is a pain in the ass, and don't get me started on MPEGStreamclip and the rest.

Of course, if you don't have a Wintel machine to use, then just read Shazzy's guide from start to finish, accept that you'll only completely deinterlace your video if the Gods smile upon you, and good luck.

Willen
Now in Hi-Def!
Org Profile

Post by Willen » Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:27 am

dokool wrote:
Dynamics wrote:This has been a great help . . .finally i have editable video in my FCP. . . however what can i do about the interlacing? The video has horizontal line skips i guess would be the best way to describe it i'm guessing? or did i miss a step due to the missing pics?

Pro tip: Pre-processing sucks hardcore on the Mac - I wrestled with Shazzy's guide for about a week before I gave up trying to deal with video that had field-switching after EVERY SCENE.

Here's my advice, if you have a Windows machine: IVTC/Deinterlace/Whatever your footage in Windows. Do your filtering there, make it all nice and pretty with AVISynth, make clips, have a ball. Then, make your clips Uncompressed AVI, copy them to your Mac, and either convert them to a lossless editable codec, or just leave'm as-is and edit. Quite frankly, nothing currently available on OSX even holds a candle to the AMVApp - MactheRipper won't let me rip individual chapters, CineTools is a pain in the ass, and don't get me started on MPEGStreamclip and the rest.

Of course, if you don't have a Wintel machine to use, then just read Shazzy's guide from start to finish, accept that you'll only completely deinterlace your video if the Gods smile upon you, and good luck.
Y'know what? Considering all the stuff you still cannot do (properly) on a Mac for video, I'm surprised at why many professionals still use it. :|
Having trouble playing back videos? I recommend: Image

Shazzy
Org Profile

Post by Shazzy » Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:04 am

Y'know what? Considering all the stuff you still cannot do (properly) on a Mac for video, I'm surprised at why many professionals still use it. :|
Probably because they're hardcore creatives and can't stand to look at the Windows OS. Take that as you will! :wink:

And yeah, the guide's server is down, should be up by next week, though.
AMV guides for Mac users
DOWNLOAD THIS AMV
Quarter-life crisis: a sense that everyone is, somehow, doing better than you.

dokool
Sir Gaijin Smash
Org Profile

Post by dokool » Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:31 pm

Willen wrote:Y'know what? Considering all the stuff you still cannot do (properly) on a Mac for video, I'm surprised at why many professionals still use it. :|
I don't really think that what we do (viz. ripping DVDs, filtering them, and editing them) has anything to do with what professionals use Macs and FCP for. The NLE AMVing scene really evolved with Wintel/Premiere (because it's cheaper) and so that's why a majority of support is based around Windows.

I'm not at all trashing my MBP as an editing system - I've done some WONDERFUL things in Motion and I look forward to really rolling on editing this video, but unless the likes of trythil, Zarxrax, etc decide to suddenly focus intently on making apps for Universal (the odds of which are somewhere between slim and none) that will help the few AMVers using the OS out, you're better off using each system for its strengths.

elvirasweeney
Org Profile

Post by elvirasweeney » Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:18 am

I use DVDxDV for selecting clips from a ripped VOB file. The quality can be pretty good. Now, I'm a newbie so I'm sure I'm getting all sorts of things wrong, but it seems pretty okay to me. I've tried importing uncompressed MOV files converted from the VOB, and I really couldn't see much difference in quality.

JudgeHolden
Org Profile

Post by JudgeHolden » Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:47 pm

dokool wrote:
Willen wrote:Y'know what? Considering all the stuff you still cannot do (properly) on a Mac for video, I'm surprised at why many professionals still use it. :|
I don't really think that what we do (viz. ripping DVDs, filtering them, and editing them) has anything to do with what professionals use Macs and FCP for. The NLE AMVing scene really evolved with Wintel/Premiere (because it's cheaper) and so that's why a majority of support is based around Windows.

I'm not at all trashing my MBP as an editing system - I've done some WONDERFUL things in Motion and I look forward to really rolling on editing this video, but unless the likes of trythil, Zarxrax, etc decide to suddenly focus intently on making apps for Universal (the odds of which are somewhere between slim and none) that will help the few AMVers using the OS out, you're better off using each system for its strengths.
I concure ... I use a Final Cut Studio (I LOVE motion), but I would never suggest someone use it to edit amvs (at least at first). You have to do alot of experimenting just to get started (damn learning curve).

dokool
Sir Gaijin Smash
Org Profile

Post by dokool » Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:07 am

elvirasweeney wrote:I use DVDxDV for selecting clips from a ripped VOB file. The quality can be pretty good. Now, I'm a newbie so I'm sure I'm getting all sorts of things wrong, but it seems pretty okay to me. I've tried importing uncompressed MOV files converted from the VOB, and I really couldn't see much difference in quality.
Yeah, and for all I know you're right, but that's an $80 program according to the website for all the functionality you need (including 3:2 pulldown removal). My point is that all of the pre-processing/post-processing stuff that works wonderfully in Windows, all (or most) open-source freeware, either costs money on OSX, doesn't work well if it's freeware, or just doesn't exist period.

Return to “Mac Software”