Final Cut Pro is the evil doom Dx

For discussion on Mac software and video editing on Mac computers.

Final Cut Pro is the evil doom Dx

Postby kittehpawz » Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:45 pm

I jsut got a mac form my dad its a g4 and its like not the newest version of osx so nothign seems to work right wiht it x.x; Anyways i got final cut pro 4 but for some reason after i import anythign its like "unrendered" when i try to play it >> Then when i try to render it it says like 13 hours remaining Dx; Is there any way I can fix this? D:
kittehpawz

Postby Scintilla » Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:05 pm

What format/codec for the clips you're using?
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:
Scintilla
(for EXTREME)

Postby kittehpawz » Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:19 pm

Scintilla wrote:What format/codec for the clips you're using?

its an mp4 but i have tried avi too .. if i remember the mpegs woudlnt even load in... x.X; i got some codecs so the avi files would play xp
kittehpawz

Postby Shazzy » Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:15 am

I wrote a whole tutorial on the pre-editing conversion process for the Mac. You'll want to read all the pages in the Concept section. Yes, it will take some time, but making AMVs has a learning curve.
AMV guides for Mac users
DOWNLOAD THIS AMV
Quarter-life crisis: a sense that everyone is, somehow, doing better than you.
Shazzy

Postby KagatoAMV » Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:08 pm

Yeah, FCP doesn't handle mp4 video as an editable medium very well. I usually convert to DV before I edit.
"Time is the school in which we learn. Time is the fire in which we burn."
KagatoAMV
Studio Hybrid

Postby kittehpawz » Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:02 pm

shazzy wrote:I wrote a whole tutorial on the pre-editing conversion process for the Mac. You'll want to read all the pages in the Concept section. Yes, it will take some time, but making AMVs has a learning curve.

thank you so much <333>w<
kittehpawz

Postby kittehpawz » Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:05 pm

Studio Hybrid wrote:Yeah, FCP doesn't handle mp4 video as an editable medium very well. I usually convert to DV before I edit.

ne only problem with dv is its a very huge file format x.X;
kittehpawz

Postby KagatoAMV » Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:15 pm

kittehpawz wrote:
ne only problem with dv is its a very huge file format x.X;

Thats true.

Macs do seem to be able to work with DV footage very reliably though.
"Time is the school in which we learn. Time is the fire in which we burn."
KagatoAMV
Studio Hybrid

Postby Gepetto » Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:17 am

Scintilla wrote:What format/CODEC for the clips you're using?

That's much more important than the container.
And God spoke unto the Chicken, and He said: "Thou shalt crosseth the road", and the Chicken did cross the road, and there was much rejoicing.
My DeviantART profile
Gepetto
Mr. Poopy Pants

Postby kittehpawz » Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:13 pm

Gepetto wrote:
Scintilla wrote:What format/CODEC for the clips you're using?

That's much more important than the container.

well im trying to mess with dvix codec/avi format now but it still saying like 10 minutes to render like a 10 second clip so thats not working for me... x.x; it also like shut downs when i try to change sequence settigns for some reason ._.; I have the dvix codec downloaded for my mac so they do play in quicktime fine xp
kittehpawz

Postby Shazzy » Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:13 pm

Don't edit in DiVX. If DV is too big of a file format, I would recommend buying a cheap external hard drive (you can get an 80GB one for about $50). You could also try Apple Intermediate Codec, which is slightly smaller in size.
AMV guides for Mac users
DOWNLOAD THIS AMV
Shazzy

Postby kittehpawz » Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:45 am

shazzy wrote:Don't edit in DiVX. If DV is too big of a file format, I would recommend buying a cheap external hard drive (you can get an 80GB one for about $50). You could also try Apple Intermediate Codec, which is slightly smaller in size.

well i tried Xvid too which rendered a lot faster but problem is... i dont exactly have the best codec for it x.x; for some reason i cant get the newest one becuase i dont have the newest OS for mac and my dad says it prob wont run on mine because its too slow Dx It work fine on my PC though. But on my Mac, in quicktime it lags and wont play right and in FPC it jsut like makes a lot of square blocks everywhere x.X hmm is there a way to enocde it with apple intermediate codec? I dunno much about Compressor... it doesnt like me xD; i jsut been using my encoder on my pc for em... hmm...
kittehpawz

Postby Minion » Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:47 am

do not edit in divx OR xvid
KioAtWork: I'm so bored. I don't have class again for another half hour.
Minion: masturbate into someones desk and giggle about it for the remaining 28 minutes
Minion

Postby Shazzy » Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:31 pm

Okies, I'm going to walk you through this. Do me a huge favor though, and use capitalization and punctuation when you write. :)

1. Download MPEG Streamclip.
2. Open MPEG Streamclip once it's installed.
3. Drag your ORIGINAL anime source file (not your movie, not anything you've converted, the original anime movie/series you started with) into the main window. Here's an example:

4. Go to File>Export to Quicktime

5. Copy what I have in the window below. You want Apple Motion JPEG A as your compressor, at 50% quality, 640x480 as your frame size, 29.97 in the frame rate box, and everything else UNCHECKED.

This may not be perfect, but it will do for now. We can fix other problems later. IF YOU WANT FURTHER HELP FROM ME, EXPORT WITH THE EXACT SETTINGS IN THE PICTURE BELOW.

Now hit the Make Movie button.

Open up your new file that MPEG Streamclip just converted. Let me know how it looks. If you can, take a screenshot (CMD+SHIFT+3) and post it.
AMV guides for Mac users
DOWNLOAD THIS AMV
Shazzy

Postby Val3ntia » Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:30 pm

shazzy - Does that walk-through apply only to Macs? I'm on Windows XP. Windows Media Player keeps telling me I need Xvid or DiVX, but everyone else says not to edit with that stuff. So I really don't know what to do - sorry for my total and (I'm sure) annoying ignorance. Dx
--Morgan
Val3ntia

Next

Return to Mac Software