mac and final cut pro...vob and avi files from virtdub

For discussion on Mac software and video editing on Mac computers.
lostuchiha
Org Profile

mac and final cut pro...vob and avi files from virtdub

Post by lostuchiha » Thu May 26, 2005 6:39 pm

Hey i use a mac at school for my video class and I looooove final cut pro and I just got a copy :sneaky eyes:...but i know that it will not let you import avi files, but I just want to know if anyone uses final cut pro for amvs and if it allows you to import vob files. Also if there is a program that takes the avi files from virtualdubmod and changes them into quicktime files.

Also, does AMVapp even work on Macs. Thanks!

dokool
Sir Gaijin Smash
Org Profile

Re: mac and final cut pro...vob and avi files from virtdub

Post by dokool » Thu May 26, 2005 7:08 pm

lostuchiha wrote:Also, does AMVapp even work on Macs. Thanks!
No.

But if you want to rip DVDs and import them into FCP, check out Kirin's iMovie guide and adapt the methods in there for iMovie.

dokool
Sir Gaijin Smash
Org Profile

Post by dokool » Thu May 26, 2005 7:08 pm

dokool wrote:But if you want to rip DVDs and import them into FCP, check out Kirin's iMovie guide and adapt the methods in there for FCP.
Adjusted.

lostuchiha
Org Profile

Post by lostuchiha » Thu May 26, 2005 7:39 pm

dokool wrote:
dokool wrote:But if you want to rip DVDs and import them into FCP, check out Kirin's iMovie guide and adapt the methods in there for FCP.
Adjusted.
ok thanks for responding.

i am from philly too, are you going to animenext, and did you enter a amv?

LantisEscudo
Org Profile

Post by LantisEscudo » Thu May 26, 2005 11:06 pm

FCP can import AVI files, as long as the AVIs are ones that Quicktime can open.

I don't know of any lossless codecs that are available in both Quicktime and VFW formats, but if you've got the hard drive space, Uncompressed AVIs will work in FCP, which is what I did for my most recent video (not on the site yet). I ripped/filtered using the AMVApp on my PC, created Uncompressed AVIs of the scenes I wanted in VDubMod, moved the AVIs to my Mac and edited in FCP on the Mac.

If you're working solely on a Mac, Kirin's guide is the best resource I've found for getting your footage in.

lostuchiha
Org Profile

Post by lostuchiha » Fri May 27, 2005 7:35 pm

LantisEscudo wrote:FCP can import AVI files, as long as the AVIs are ones that Quicktime can open.

I don't know of any lossless codecs that are available in both Quicktime and VFW formats, but if you've got the hard drive space, Uncompressed AVIs will work in FCP, which is what I did for my most recent video (not on the site yet). I ripped/filtered using the AMVApp on my PC, created Uncompressed AVIs of the scenes I wanted in VDubMod, moved the AVIs to my Mac and edited in FCP on the Mac.

If you're working solely on a Mac, Kirin's guide is the best resource I've found for getting your footage in.

thanks...thats interesting. did u use an external harddrive to move the avis from ur pc to mac, because the reformatting is annoying, or is there another way. thanks again.

LantisEscudo
Org Profile

Post by LantisEscudo » Fri May 27, 2005 10:31 pm

lostuchiha wrote:thanks...thats interesting. did u use an external harddrive to move the avis from ur pc to mac, because the reformatting is annoying, or is there another way. thanks again.
No, I transferred the files over my LAN, which was simple and easy.

But if you're using an external hard drive, if the drive is formatted FAT32 rather than NTFS or HFS, both Windows and Mac OS X can read it. Unfortunately, FAT32 has a filesize limit of 4 GB and Windows 2K/XP won't format a partition larger than 32 GB as FAT32 with the built-in disk formatter. Some third-party disk management tools will, though.

If you're stuck using an external hard disk bigger than 32 GB, as I have in the past, my recommendation is to split it into two partitions, one 32 GB in size, formatted FAT32, the other taking the rest of the disk, formatted for whichever system you're more likely to be using, NTFS for Windows, HFS for Mac. Use the FAT32 partition to transfer files between the two and the other partition for storing whatever you need.

As another note, Windows-formatted iPods use FAT32 as their file system, allowing you to use them just like an external hard drive on both OSX and Windows. I've used mine frequently to transfer files from my PC to the Macs at work.

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Sat May 28, 2005 12:37 pm

OS X will format Fat32 drives up to 120GBs and Windows can read them. I have an external on my mac that I store my uncompressed .mov files on, 80GB, formatted in Fat32 on OS X. In my case, I don't need to worry about avis, I don't think. As long as FCP likes my movs.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

LantisEscudo
Org Profile

Post by LantisEscudo » Sat May 28, 2005 1:00 pm

Kionon wrote:OS X will format Fat32 drives up to 120GBs and Windows can read them. I have an external on my mac that I store my uncompressed .mov files on, 80GB, formatted in Fat32 on OS X. In my case, I don't need to worry about avis, I don't think. As long as FCP likes my movs.
True, but for some reason, OSX (as of 10.3.7) won't format only a partition as FAT32, only a whole disk. So if your external disk is larger than 120 GB (mine was 250 GB), you need to do the partioning thing.

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Mon May 30, 2005 10:33 pm

Hmm. I didn't know that since I didn't need to partition.

...on a completely off topic note, I see your Chibiusa vid's name and laugh. I was once a prominent member of the pro-chibiusa group, and am enshrined on the Pink List. But that was a great many years ago.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

Return to “Mac Software”