FCP X

For discussion on Mac software and video editing on Mac computers.
TEKnician
Org Profile

Re: FCP X

Post by TEKnician » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:25 pm

McDirty wrote:
However, I went through 1 hour trying to figure out how to properly 'save' 'load' and 'delete' a simple project, both manually and within the interface. Because there is no save feature in this application. Projects are no longer created as files, instead they're created within something called events.

With the release of OSX 10.7 a.k.a. "Lion" (another cat...go figure) There is an auto save every time you close your projects. You no longer need to save when you close applications. Even if you highlight a clip and are in the middle of an edit...the next time you open FCPX you will still have it highlighted. EVERYTHING WILL LOOK THE SAME AS WHEN YOU CLOSED IT. AINT THAT AWESOME OR WHAT?! EVERYTHING IS SO AUTOMATIC!
Almost as hard as fighting a Holy Paladin.

Kira_Douji
Org Profile

Post by Kira_Douji » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:03 pm

Actually, that's what already happens on 10.6.8 ;)

What Lion does is implement versioning. That's what's going to let you slip back to earlier versions without having to fork and save every single time.
ImageImage

McDirty
Org Profile

Post by McDirty » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:36 pm

What I'm most interested in Versions is the ability to duplicate your current work to be either backed up or used later on, because there's many times when your editing a project and you want to copy something from a previous draft into your current one. The feature of copying work from 2 weeks ago and pasting it to today's work I think is pretty cool. Still, I hope the Auto-Save and Versions don't take away the ability to grab your project manually from the finder, otherwise you'll have to dive all the way into the cache and find your work in there.

Kira_Douji
Org Profile

Post by Kira_Douji » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:39 pm

Well that's a tricky question, I think. From everything I've seen so far, I don't doubt that you'll be able to, but at the same time Apple has made it clear that they intend for a paradigm shift away from file systems in general. So I'm curious to see what their end solution looks like.
ImageImage

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:49 pm

I've heard not good things about it. I'm going to skip it for a while at least.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

Kira_Douji
Org Profile

Post by Kira_Douji » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:32 am

My experience right now...

omg... I was almost finished...

/wishing for project versioning now like a mofo
ImageImage

McDirty
Org Profile

Post by McDirty » Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:41 pm

Five more days. :wink:

Kira_Douji
Org Profile

Post by Kira_Douji » Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:00 pm

Well, I fixed it, luckily.

After some trial and error, it seems to be connected to a mysterious issues that doesn't have any apparent rhyme or reason, just that sometimes when you paste an effect on to another clip, it may shorten - or lengthen! - the clip.

No. Idea. Why.

Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes I can do entire groups of clips and not have an issue, sometimes MAGIC.

:jester:

(I did finish the vid, though, should be up in a bit)
ImageImage

McDirty
Org Profile

Post by McDirty » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:13 pm

Kira_Douji wrote:(I did finish the vid, though, should be up in a bit)
Great. Looking forward to seeing it.

For those interested, I also finished a vid myself, however it's not original. Because my original intention was to test out FCPX in a fast and easy way, I decided to recreate an existing vid made by an editor and have FCPX work the basics in AMV making before I attempt in making something original. I used Kamoc's (one of my all time favs) and basically remastered using better quality video and cleaner audio. I'm not going to post the vid on the org since this vid is technically not mine. But for those interested in how the results from FCPX turned out, the vid can be found here (click the yellow download button on the bottom).

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:41 pm

Remasters are generally considered an acceptable practice when the original editor either cannot be found or agrees.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

Return to “Mac Software”