FCP X

For discussion on Mac software and video editing on Mac computers.

Re: FCP X

Postby TEKnician » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:25 pm

McDirty wrote:
However, I went through 1 hour trying to figure out how to properly 'save' 'load' and 'delete' a simple project, both manually and within the interface. Because there is no save feature in this application. Projects are no longer created as files, instead they're created within something called events.

With the release of OSX 10.7 a.k.a. "Lion" (another cat...go figure) There is an auto save every time you close your projects. You no longer need to save when you close applications. Even if you highlight a clip and are in the middle of an edit...the next time you open FCPX you will still have it highlighted. EVERYTHING WILL LOOK THE SAME AS WHEN YOU CLOSED IT. AINT THAT AWESOME OR WHAT?! EVERYTHING IS SO AUTOMATIC!
Almost as hard as fighting a Holy Paladin.
TEKnician

Postby Kira_Douji » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:03 pm

Actually, that's what already happens on 10.6.8 ;)

What Lion does is implement versioning. That's what's going to let you slip back to earlier versions without having to fork and save every single time.
ImageImage
Kira_Douji

Postby McDirty » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:36 pm

What I'm most interested in Versions is the ability to duplicate your current work to be either backed up or used later on, because there's many times when your editing a project and you want to copy something from a previous draft into your current one. The feature of copying work from 2 weeks ago and pasting it to today's work I think is pretty cool. Still, I hope the Auto-Save and Versions don't take away the ability to grab your project manually from the finder, otherwise you'll have to dive all the way into the cache and find your work in there.
McDirty

Postby Kira_Douji » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:39 pm

Well that's a tricky question, I think. From everything I've seen so far, I don't doubt that you'll be able to, but at the same time Apple has made it clear that they intend for a paradigm shift away from file systems in general. So I'm curious to see what their end solution looks like.
ImageImage
Kira_Douji

Postby Athena » Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:49 pm

I've heard not good things about it. I'm going to skip it for a while at least.
Athena
I ♥ the 80's

Postby Kira_Douji » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:32 am

My experience right now...

omg... I was almost finished...

/wishing for project versioning now like a mofo
ImageImage
Kira_Douji

Postby McDirty » Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:41 pm

Five more days. :wink:
McDirty

Postby Kira_Douji » Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:00 pm

Well, I fixed it, luckily.

After some trial and error, it seems to be connected to a mysterious issues that doesn't have any apparent rhyme or reason, just that sometimes when you paste an effect on to another clip, it may shorten - or lengthen! - the clip.

No. Idea. Why.

Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes I can do entire groups of clips and not have an issue, sometimes MAGIC.

:jester:

(I did finish the vid, though, should be up in a bit)
ImageImage
Kira_Douji

Postby McDirty » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:13 pm

Kira_Douji wrote:(I did finish the vid, though, should be up in a bit)

Great. Looking forward to seeing it.

For those interested, I also finished a vid myself, however it's not original. Because my original intention was to test out FCPX in a fast and easy way, I decided to recreate an existing vid made by an editor and have FCPX work the basics in AMV making before I attempt in making something original. I used Kamoc's (one of my all time favs) and basically remastered using better quality video and cleaner audio. I'm not going to post the vid on the org since this vid is technically not mine. But for those interested in how the results from FCPX turned out, the vid can be found here (click the yellow download button on the bottom).
McDirty

Postby Athena » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:41 pm

Remasters are generally considered an acceptable practice when the original editor either cannot be found or agrees.
Athena
I ♥ the 80's

Postby Kira_Douji » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:16 am

McDirty wrote:I used Kamoc's (one of my all time favs) and basically remastered using better quality video and cleaner audio. I'm not going to post the vid on the org since this vid is technically not mine. But for those interested in how the results from FCPX turned out, the vid can be found here (click the yellow download button on the bottom).

I had no idea what I was watching, but I watched it anyway and wow o_o creepy. But cool. I can see where some effects are going to become more widely used.

I finished putting mine up (my ISP has shotty upload, so it took ALL DAY to upload the HD version to my server grrr).

No Regrets. I think it turned out nicely. I just wanted to sort of stress test the program/system with 1080p. Result? I bought more RAM. 12GB seems to work well >>;
ImageImage
Kira_Douji

Postby McDirty » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:47 pm

I like the video. It's pretty good, I would announce it in the announcement forums actually. It's one of my fav Goo Goo Dolls songs. :) I definitely agree, the effects in fcpx are going to be more widely used by editors.
It looks like the 1080p footage in your video came out great. I am disappointed that rendering straight from fcp doesn't offer a lot of tweaking in terms of custom settings. In fact, there is no custom in fcpx :(
McDirty

Postby Kira_Douji » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:44 pm

McDirty wrote: I am disappointed that rendering straight from fcp doesn't offer a lot of tweaking in terms of custom settings. In fact, there is no custom in fcpx :(

Yeah, I can't say I expected much in the first place, though :P To get it down to a decent size, I had to use MPEG StreamClip, which, fortunately, was nothing difficult. I will say though that the actual encoding for the 1080p version is straight out of FCPX. All I did was rebox it into the .mp4 container.

Compressor still fails at life, however :rofl:
ImageImage
Kira_Douji

Postby McDirty » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:50 pm

I know color correction isn't a relevant AMV topic, but I felt that I would post this article here for FCP users who do more than just make AMVs:
http://www.taoofcolor.com/510/final-cut ... ple-color/

As for my personal thoughts on the subject of color correcting in FCPX, it's a little mixed. Initially, Apple wanted to merge Apple Color with the Final Cut Pro interface without the need of using another app. FCPX as it stands right now is a lot more versatile in color correcting than it's predecessor FCP7, but less flexible and accurate than Color. I have no idea what Apple's plans are for Color Correcting apps, what do you guys think or know on the matter?
Personally, I was hoping Apple would expand more on it's Color application more and maybe they will in the future. But as of now, Color is no longer for purchase at the App Store, which makes me question whether or not they will release any more Color. If not, then I hope future versions of FCPX would have color grading tools that were just as powerful as Color's. I have to admit though, I certainly don't mind that FCPX is based on RGB whereas FCP7 was YUV.
McDirty

Postby Kira_Douji » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:14 pm

Actually, I had to shift the color on a lot of my pics for "No Regrets" and I do hope they put some work into it. Up front, the controls are intuitive and useful... but the 'match' option, for example, needs to work on it's algorithm (it pretty much fails for animation) and the lack of copy/paste for color settings kind of drove me crazy more than once.
ImageImage
Kira_Douji

PreviousNext

Return to Mac Software