FCP X

For discussion on Mac software and video editing on Mac computers.
Bahamut God
Wrong Kind of Special
Org Profile

Re: FCP X

Post by Bahamut God » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:46 am

Here comes an opinion from someone who hasn't used FCPX but knows people who have. (I've read a few reviews.) Also I didn't read though this thread yet because I'm tried and want to comment on FCPX since that is my new favorite pastime.

As a tool for professional editing. No, it is crap.

As a tool for AMVs, might be ok to pretty good. FCPX complaints mostly stem from a bunch of missing features that are only useful if you are outputting or digitizing from / to tape or need to create an EDL / OMF for an professional online edit or sound mixing. It's mostly built for digital distribution it seems. The interface is different enough there will be a learning curve if you are used to FCP 7, but from what I have read it may not be a bad AMV editor.

But I'm not dropping 300 plus add on dollars on it any time soon. My poor little dual 2.0 Ghz G6 won't run it so what the point?
[Visit my Profile, it hates Bush!]
[Feel bad for someone who killed a kid]
"I'm telling you, I want to be a loser."-Khushrenada
I have a titley thing, and you might not. ^_^/

gotenks794
Org Profile

Post by gotenks794 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:45 am

I agree with the above, mostly. There is a steep learning curve coming from any other NLE out there (save for perhaps iMovie), but it's actually quite good for AMVs. It's also quite convenient for an independent filmmaker such as myself because it edits very smoothly and surprisingly quick with distribution formats such as h.264 shot with DSLRs. (which also eliminates quite a few steps in certain AMVs, I might add).

And not to converse about potential illegalities, but I've heard.."whispers" of folk who purchased it and then complained about how terrible it is/how it won't run on their systems and got a refund. However, there is apparently no way for Apple to remove the software from your computer after refunding, and there also appears to be no way for Apple to keep you from downloading your refunded piece of software on your allotted amount of computers. :shark:
MAC is a cosmetics brand. Mac is the superior computing platform. It's not an acronym.

Kira_Douji
Org Profile

Post by Kira_Douji » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:06 pm

There are accounts on the FCPX facebook group saying that for non-commercial use, splitting the cost amongst friends is something something they've gotten the okay for, since you only need to log in to that account to download it in the first place.

YMMV
ImageImage

McDirty
Org Profile

Post by McDirty » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:00 pm

Thought I post these here:

Just in case anyone hasn't disabled the background rendering or selected the 'use original or optimized media' feature yet. I totally forgot to do this at first and ended up with about 10 GB of useless cache :sweat:
http://support.cineform.com/entries/203 ... iderations

http://www.digitalrebellion.com/blog/po ... tions.html

Kira_Douji
Org Profile

Post by Kira_Douji » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:05 pm

Does this apply to things other than Cineform? (Considering where the source is from)
ImageImage

McDirty
Org Profile

Post by McDirty » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:11 pm

Kira_Douji wrote:Does this apply to things other than Cineform? (Considering where the source is from)
I've been editing straight from h264 recently, although I can't guarantee the support of other codecs and containers. But it still beats having gigs of rendered events take up your HDD.

Kira_Douji
Org Profile

Post by Kira_Douji » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:25 pm

I've taken to using optimized clips, actually, and if you have the space, it's much nicer than the h264 codecs I've been dealing with.
ImageImage

TEKnician
Org Profile

Post by TEKnician » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:44 am

Freeze frames? Hello? Are you in here? Freeeeeeze fraaaaaaammmes!
Almost as hard as fighting a Holy Paladin.

McDirty
Org Profile

Post by McDirty » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:35 pm

If you want to just save a simple freeze frame, scroll up to share and select 'Save Current Frame'.

There's also a very neat feature called 'Hold.' This feature allows the video to play at normal speed, then freeze at a certain frame for certain period of time, and then continue playing at normal speed. It can be found in the top right corner of the timeline. It's next to the icon with a magic wand.

TEKnician
Org Profile

Post by TEKnician » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:04 pm

McDirty wrote:If you want to just save a simple freeze frame, scroll up to share and select 'Save Current Frame'.
Okay, Thats fine and dandy...but in the previous versions, i could do everything "in house"". I didn't have to EXPORT the frame and then re-import it afterwards to use in the same video. I mean that "hold" thing is pretty cool, but its not really the method i need.
Almost as hard as fighting a Holy Paladin.

Return to “Mac Software”