Smaller file format than huffyuv?-FCP

For discussion on Mac software and video editing on Mac computers.
PianoSymphony
Org Profile

Smaller file format than huffyuv?-FCP

Post by PianoSymphony » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:13 pm

Hi,

I'm on FCP 7. I followed the steps in the sticky and got to the part about saving the footage as huffyuv AVI in VirtualDub. I now have a 15GB file for one episode. I want to know, before I take this into Mpeg StreamClip to save in a .mov container, is there another format I can convert it to that will give me a smaller file size? For instance, I tried converting it into ProRes 422 in Mpegstream clip, which yielded a smaller file size to work with in FCP. However, when I export it, save it in an AVI container again through Mpeg StreamClip, and then open it in Vdub via crossover, Vdub can't open it.

I want to work with smaller file sizes (not enough hard drive space) and be able to export it in a format that is playable in Windows (I'll be bringing it back into my PC to use TMPGEnc to convert it into MPEG2 for convention submission, which I've always used). I used to be on Premiere, but FCP is now my main editing platform and I want to stick with it and try this out.

Thanks!

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Re: Smaller file format than huffyuv?-FCP

Post by Kionon » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:24 pm

I am afraid the answer to your question is no. HUFFYUV is the only codec that is shared among all of our normal AMV applications on the PC side (such as those found in AMVapp) and those that I have written about on the Mac side.

Your best option really is obtaining more harddrive space. Which given today's high resolution content, you should probably have it already.

Sorry. :|
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

PianoSymphony
Org Profile

Post by PianoSymphony » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:33 pm

K. Thanks for the reply. In that case, for those who only have a MAC, what are their final export options from Final Cut Pro before submitting to convention contests? What do they use to convert the video to MPEG2? (unfortunately, Compressor on MAC does not export the MPEG2's with audio attached)

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:22 pm

I'm the primary Mac editor here, and I don't use FCP very often. I prefer Premiere. Every time an FCP question comes up, I have to actually play around with it to get an answer. tl;dr, I don't know. I'll get back to you.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

JudgeHolden
Org Profile

Post by JudgeHolden » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:57 pm

Just export the Audio and video separately from Compressor. Then rename the files so that they are identical (except for the extension of course). Then open the video file in Mpeg Streamclip (it will load the audio for you) and then just mux the video and audio. |:>

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:04 am

JudgeHolden wrote:Just export the Audio and video separately from Compressor. Then rename the files so that they are identical (except for the extension of course). Then open the video file in Mpeg Streamclip (it will load the audio for you) and then just mux the video and audio. |:>
MPEGStreamclip does MPEG2? :uhoh:
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

JudgeHolden
Org Profile

Post by JudgeHolden » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:04 pm

Squirrel, Duke of Acorn wrote:
JudgeHolden wrote:Just export the Audio and video separately from Compressor. Then rename the files so that they are identical (except for the extension of course). Then open the video file in Mpeg Streamclip (it will load the audio for you) and then just mux the video and audio. |:>
MPEGStreamclip does MPEG2? :uhoh:
Yep, just export as an .mv2 and aiff 16/48 (though I think you need to change the extention to .aif) from compressor, then mux in mpegstreamclip, then submit to con, then profit. I have done it many of times. :roll:

It is found under the drop down menu "File". Near the bottom you will see "convert to mpeg2 with audio".

I know it's hard to belive that I know anything. Honestly, I can't remember how I found this out .... I've been doing it for atleast 5 years. :ying:

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:39 pm

Actually the :uhoh: eyes were because I didn't know that, and I clearly should have.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

PianoSymphony
Org Profile

Post by PianoSymphony » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:51 pm

Thanks for the response you guys! I used mpegstream clip to bring my .m2v and .aif file together, and used the convert mpeg2 with audio option. However, after it exported my mpeg2, I noticed that it automatically changed some settings to my video (i.e. changing it to 640x480, when it should remain 720x480 for con). I don't see an option that will allow me to keep it at the original settings. Also, does it actually bring down the quality and recompress it too much?

PianoSymphony
Org Profile

Post by PianoSymphony » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:59 pm

Forgot to add one more thing to my last response/question: When I export from Compressor, I use the setting "DVD: Best quality 90 minutes> MPEG-2 6.2Mbps 2-Pass" for Video, and "Aiff 44.1:16" for audio to get my .m2v and .aif. (I've been setting my audio at 44.1 in most cases because it doesn't create a hollow sound at the con). Are those the video settings you use JudgeHolden?

Thanks!

Return to “Mac Software”