From the Mac to the Org?

For discussion on Mac software and video editing on Mac computers.
Qyot27
Surreptitious fluffy bunny
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:16 am

Studio Hybrid wrote:
Tab. wrote: Honestly, I'd just use QuickTime conversion to MPEG-4 using Apple's H.264 codec. It's not as good as x264, but the accessibility offsets the quality cost unless you're super hardcore.
Anyone have any advice on the settings for MPEG-4 H.264, best for release here? I can export a high quality h.264 quicktime movie, but thats in a quicktime container.
If you're satisfied with that encode, then you can just run it through MP4Box - it'll remux the video in MP4. Just make sure the audio is in either MP3 or AAC.

Quicktime [Pro, although on a Mac that's standard, right?] can do it, but as I've not been in that particular situation for a while I'm not sure. It's a matter of simply changing the container, not re-encoding, but I don't remember the actual steps to do it. VLC might also be able to do it using the Wizard, although for me that tends to be pretty hit-and-miss. Avidemux is also probably worth taking a look at.
Kionon wrote:If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I've never run into a problem. No one has ever complained. Why should I be worried?
Of course it's all down to personal preference. My motivation for saying that I don't recommend builds older than 3 or 4 months is just because of the rapid progress the x264 devs actually make. It's like comparing a pre-1.0 version of Xvid to 1.1.3 or the 1.2 branch. For me personally, any amount of speed tweaking and further optimization is reason enough to upgrade, and the development over the last year and a half has both of those things in spades.

Due to the age of my hardware, I'll take whatever boost I can get, as long as it doesn't sacrifice quality - hence why I tend to follow revisions and updates religiously (similarly, due to the age of said hardware, I can also tell very plainly when things get tweaked and sped up, and that has definitely happened several times over the last year and a half).

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:52 am

Qyot27 wrote:Quicktime [Pro, although on a Mac that's standard, right?] can do it, but as I've not been in that particular situation for a while I'm not sure.
]

It isn't standard.
Of course it's all down to personal preference....
Due to the age of my hardware, I'll take whatever boost I can get, as long as it doesn't sacrifice quality.
Ah. Well. I just built a new computer about three months ago, so that's not an issue for me.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

kmv
Org Profile

Post by kmv » Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:38 am

kmv wrote:I would be willing to share my builds if anyone needs 'em.
That would definitely be useful, for those that need it. I've thought about doing encodes on my parents' iMac, but the reality of the MacPorts method was just too daunting, and I suck at compiling software.[/quote]

OK, so what would people like fresh builds of? x264? MPlayer (gui)? MPlayer (cmd line) mkvtoolnix? xvid? lame? something else?

Qyot27
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:43 pm

kmv wrote:OK, so what would people like fresh builds of? x264? MPlayer (gui)? MPlayer (cmd line) mkvtoolnix? xvid? lame? something else?
I think the two most integral would be getting recent revisions of both x264 and MP4Box built. The others are already well- or fairly well-covered on OS X (although MKVToolNix OS X builds are still at 2.0 rather than 2.1).

kmv
Org Profile

Post by kmv » Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:00 pm

Qyot27 wrote:I think the two most integral would be getting recent revisions of both x264 and MP4Box built. The others are already well- or fairly well-covered on OS X (although MKVToolNix OS X builds are still at 2.0 rather than 2.1).
shell wrote:$ x264 --version
x264 0.57.709
That's what I have built right now, it is an intel build but without mp4 output support. Will that do, or do you want PPC and/or mp4 support as well? Also, are you only interested in the binary or you need the library and header as well (they are NOT needed to run the binary).
shell wrote:$ mkvmerge --version
mkvmerge v2.1.0 ('Another Place To Fall') built on Dec 9 2007 21:24:34
As above, it is my standard intel build. Let me know if you want a PPC.

I don't have a current build of MP4Box, but I'll get onto that in the morning. In the mean time I will put the above binaries in a zip and toss them online.

LantisEscudo
Org Profile

Post by LantisEscudo » Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:53 pm

I'm on a G4, so a PPC build would certainly be welcomed by me.

Tab.
Org Profile

Post by Tab. » Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:42 am

Working with MacPorts to reinvigorate the consistently broken and outdated video Ports (GStreamer, FFMPEG, MPlayer, x264, Xvid, etc) so we can avoid having to compile our own binaries.
Open source video on Mac needs more love, fast.
◔ ◡ ◔

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:26 am

I too am on a G4, so I second the PPC builds.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

Qyot27
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:20 pm

kmv wrote:
Qyot27 wrote:I think the two most integral would be getting recent revisions of both x264 and MP4Box built. The others are already well- or fairly well-covered on OS X (although MKVToolNix OS X builds are still at 2.0 rather than 2.1).
shell wrote:$ x264 --version
x264 0.57.709
That's what I have built right now, it is an intel build but without mp4 output support. Will that do, or do you want PPC and/or mp4 support as well? Also, are you only interested in the binary or you need the library and header as well (they are NOT needed to run the binary).
If the library and header is just the source code and provides no other purpose, then I don't need it, but I won't object if it's there.

MP4 support would be helpful, though - that way I'm pretty sure you don't have to declare the framerate value at any point (or would only have to do so once during the encoding phase itself, as MP4Box automatically detects fps within MP4 during any sort of muxing - if it were a raw h264 file then you'd need to tell it what fps to mux at).

Others have requested the PPC build, the ones I'd be more likely to work on are the Intel Macs, though.

kmv
Org Profile

Post by kmv » Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:47 pm

Sorry for the delay in getting this lot online, but I have spent the last few days in bed with the flu and haven't wanted to do much of anything.

In any case, I have decided that since there is an interest I will start making my builds available in general, and attempt to keep them up to date on an onging basis. To this end I have created a download/distribution area on my website.

I haven't created 'proper' distribution packages for these, or built PPC versions yet, but I will get onto these next.

In the mean time I have simply arranged the zip contents into a reasonable directory structure which you can then copy into your chosen locations. Personally, I recommend: /usr/local/

If you note any problems, let me know.

Return to “Mac Software”