Can we please get some elaboration in here?

jasper-isis
P. Y. T.
Org Profile

Re: Can we please get some elaboration in here?

Post by jasper-isis » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:46 pm

Ingow wrote:Actually I spent the whole day going through my backup DVDs of 2008 AMVs, making lists, posting in the threads and giving a bit of a personal comment about almost every video. It felt pretty good trying to care about the VCAs in some way again.

Writing longer reviews can really break your back though, I noticed that for some categories I just had to make a URL dump out of it because things started repeating and I didn't want to copypaste and apart from that I added videos that I myself didn't enjoy that much but gave them enough credit to think that others might wanna know about them and probably would vote for them. But for those I just couldn't say that much about them of course.
I had noticed that in some of the threads, you posted a brief comment after each one of your recommendations. That's entirely cool in my book. To someone who's overwhelmed by all of the links provided, your comments will help decide which videos are worth spending the time to download. I'm not saying that there should be a full-blown critique and discussion on each and every recommendation, just that it would be more useful to others if we're able to provide some rationale for our choices.

Knowname
Org Profile

Post by Knowname » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:08 pm

dwchang wrote:Not really. Most competent people realize this forum is just a giant circle jerk among friends. I mean does anyone really need to write "I'm putting this person because they are my friend" behind most of their posts?

...not to say there aren't legitimate recommendations, but let's be honest here people. :nono:
Hey! I actually spend 16 hours a day here watching videos (and god damn when they get streamed I am gonna die...) I don't just pull chains.

(has said for a while, there are TOO MANY CATEGORIES!!)

but what Angel says is true, in the end it'll come down to the lurkers (mostly) and the popular choice, but still, lets not turn into animenfo here and just accept the best opinions... god damn I hate animenfo... yet I still use it ^.^ *sob*
If you do not think so... you will DIE

8bit_samurai
Hmm...
Org Profile

Post by 8bit_samurai » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:33 pm

Maybe chivalry isn't dead...
Under Construction

Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:56 pm

I couldn't agree more Jasper, and Chang. For someone like myself, I'm not going to go through a million pages of circle jerking and download each video. I don't have the time and I'd rather be doing something else other then watching videos... unfortunately, that really makes it hard since there are some good videos out there I haven't seen and I probably never will by the time voting starts...

So, it would be nice if people could explain their choices. I'm not going to vote for my friends just because they happen to be my friends and someone else listed their name. and i hope people do the same for me, i don't want to be nominated for anything if i don't deserve it (if i'm nominated for most helpful or editor of the year again, i'm going to kill something)... tell me why I should vote for a particular video or person. Why do they deserve your nomination?

Knowname
Org Profile

Post by Knowname » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:34 pm

if you see chang and jasper's suggestions as similar than o.0 but whatever (I saw them as exact opposites).

anyway the reason I see adding comments to your suggestions as being pointless because we don't all see videos in the same way. Besides nobody ever reads them, they're like video info pages. Have no baring on the subject really. I like to read info pages AFTER I watch the video, just like how I judge animes, I look at the rating (say at animenfo) and the summary, then the reviews AFTER when I can agree or disagree with them.

I've learned that when appraising something you should look at how much it would depreciate what is there. Whoever thought qcs were a good idea should be given a swift beating with the baka stick. It ends up doing more harm than good imo (the top 100 is now a joke...) and I feel the same way about comments for the most part. Putting comments in there will ultimately devalue ppl's opinions. The person may not be very literate (or just lazy) but he/ she HAZ an opinion.

Let's not turn into animenfo and be the one that rejects people's unique opinions. Yeah I hate Animenfo with a passion and I now make stupid reviews on there just to see how many will pass.. :twisted:
I couldn't agree more Jasper, and Chang. For someone like myself, I'm not going to go through a million pages of circle jerking and download each video. I don't have the time and I'd rather be doing something else other then watching videos... unfortunately, that really makes it hard since there are some good videos out there I haven't seen and I probably never will by the time voting starts...
if time is your problem than I suggest streaming as your answer, not comments.

also I suggest you watch a few videos... at least JUST the finalists. If not that your just complaining to complain right?? I mean what good would it do? we aren't you, nobody can tell you what you definitively will like. I mean, say you STILL aren't satisfied say if this time next year we have streaming. You don't want take the 5 minutes out of your day to watch every video on the pretense. Isn't that ALWAYS gonna be the problem?? Ppl's opinions are generally their opinions and if they went through the effort of putting comments they would exaggerate certain points (maybe not an exaggeration from their viewpoint though). You have to see that the end would be the same.

Pwolf
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:49 pm

Knowname wrote:if you see chang and jasper's suggestions as similar than o.0 but whatever (I saw them as exact opposites).
i'm not saying they are similar, i'm saying that they compliment each other for my situation... I feel like I contribute to the so call circle jerk simply because I usually only watch my friend's videos... if someone would give me a good reason to watch another video, i might actually do so.

Knowname
Org Profile

Post by Knowname » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:51 pm

Besides comments would generate much too much unnecessary banter (arguement... you KNOW we all LOVE to argue...).
Last edited by Knowname on Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Knowname
Org Profile

Post by Knowname » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:56 pm

Pwolf wrote:
Knowname wrote:if you see chang and jasper's suggestions as similar than o.0 but whatever (I saw them as exact opposites).
i'm not saying they are similar, i'm saying that they compliment each other for my situation... I feel like I contribute to the so call circle jerk simply because I usually only watch my friend's videos... if someone would give me a good reason to watch another video, i might actually do so.
streaming seems to be your simple answer... I'm not convinced it'll be good enough though lol (both for you and if the org will be able to make that transition). Believe me I understand your plight... but because I have all day to watch videos I'm not too apathetic, sorry for the tone. I tend to do that to those that have a life to tend to lol.

Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
Org Profile

Post by Nya-chan Production » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:12 pm

Knowname wrote:Besides nobody ever reads them, they're like video info pages. Have no baring on the subject really. I like to read info pages AFTER I watch the video, just like how I judge animes, I look at the rating (say at animenfo) and the summary, then the reviews AFTER when I can agree or disagree with them.
That's where the mistake lies.

Also, most people are too lazy to write info pages or take it in that cool manner: "Who reads infos, ololol, let's write something funny here!"

It should, IMO, give all the necessary information about the vid that you should know "before" watching. At least I try to compose my infos that way. Dunno how much I succeed, but it makes me kinda sad when someone just storms through the vid and then goes and rips it apart in QC, nagging that it's "too slow" - when I warned in info that it's too slow...

Pwolf
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:17 pm

Knowname wrote: if time is your problem than I suggest streaming as your answer, not comments.

also I suggest you watch a few videos... at least JUST the finalists. If not that your just complaining to complain right?? I mean what good would it do? we aren't you, nobody can tell you what you definitively will like. I mean, say you STILL aren't satisfied say if this time next year we have streaming. You don't want take the 5 minutes out of your day to watch every video on the pretense. Isn't that ALWAYS gonna be the problem?? Ppl's opinions are generally their opinions and if they went through the effort of putting comments they would exaggerate certain points (maybe not an exaggeration from their viewpoint though). You have to see that the end would be the same.
Maybe i'm explaining this incorrectly... I'm not saying I don't have the time to sit down and watch a bunch of videos... I don't have the time to sit down and watch a ton of crappy videos that were only recommended to me because it was someone's friend who made it. I'd be perfectly fine looking through the nomination threads, as i have, if people would explain a little bit about what makes their nomination so great. I haven't downloaded a single video though because i've either seen the video already or nothing about the video's information screams out "Watch me". That's not going to prevent me from watching the semi-finalists or finalists...

The whole point of opening the VCA forum now is so that people can get the word out to other people about what they think should be nominated... What the hell is the point of the damn forum if all everyone is going to do is spam it with nonsense and circle jerking... no one is going to pay attention to it after so long... so when the nominations are in, no one gives a shit about anyone else and they'll just vote for what they know.

If people would actually sit down for a second and think about why they want to nominate a video, they might think twice about listing random bullshit for the sake of it.

Return to “2009 AnimeMusicVideos.org Viewers' Choice Awards”