"Free" Review

Feedback on betas & works in progress

Moderator: Forum moderators

DeeTee
Org Profile

"Free" Review

Post by DeeTee » Tue Aug 06, 2002 12:51 am

I can review maybe 5 vids. I'm brutally honest, but not mean. I can't abide mean. I'd prefer vids meant to be "funny", but I'll review anything. If there's anything in particular you want me to look for... timing, picture quality, whatever, I will. Anyone willing to give me a shot?

silver_moon
Org Profile

Post by silver_moon » Tue Aug 06, 2002 12:55 am

Is it one video for person? I assume so...

Then could you review my Ah! My Goddess video, please? :D
ImageImage

silver_moon
Org Profile

Post by silver_moon » Tue Aug 06, 2002 12:57 am

Oh yeah and by the way, particularly I'm interested in comments on the overall video and/or the reviewable factor, but I like any type of feedback^_^
ImageImage

DeeTee
Org Profile

Post by DeeTee » Tue Aug 06, 2002 12:59 am

I download as we speak, m'lady. ^_^

Wonka
Org Profile

Post by Wonka » Tue Aug 06, 2002 1:05 am

Could you check out my Soultaker Vid?
http://www.animemusicvideos.org/legacy/video.php?v=9103

Its ment as a fun action filled vid, with pretty much no deep meaning or storyline. Thikn of it as a realy long trailer for the anime, ment to just showcase some of the highlights (with out giving anything away). Again, the vid is purely ment for fun. If you dont like these types of vids, dont worry about it, and thank you very much for your time and effort in advance :D

jbone
Org Profile

Post by jbone » Tue Aug 06, 2002 1:16 am

"If someone feels the need to 'express' himself or herself with a huge graphical 'singature' that has nothing to do with anything, that person should reevaluate his or her reasons for needing said form of expression, possibly with the help of a licensed mental health practitioner."

DeeTee
Org Profile

Review 1: One Day

Post by DeeTee » Tue Aug 06, 2002 1:49 am

First off, I'd like to thank Silver Moon for sharing this with me. To be honest I was hoping to get a few more AMVs to keep on my hard drive, and I think this is going to be one of them. This one's a keeper. The song is well chosen and definitely a welcome change from the usual Ah! My Goddess fare. The frame timing and the lip synching was incredible- not quite on the level of Brian Caldwell mind you, but definitely close (and Brian's certifiably insane, so there). I especially liked how you were more or less consistent with what lyrics you chose to have Bell sing. Many times an AMV artist choses the lyrics to sync totally at random, which makes things look choppy whenever a character's mouth moves and it's not meant to be in synch.

That said, I read the info on this AMV after viewing it and writing the first part of my review, so hopefully that gives me a better overall perspective. I've got quite a lot of experience with Ah! My Goddess, so hopefully that helps too. While I did definitely get the feeling that this was Bell's video, and followed her hope that everything turns out allright, I don't think I'd have understood the other underlying theme (she wants them to go back to living happily like they were before) if I hadn't seen the movie. The scenes you chose didn't particularly tell that story, I felt. I'm not sure how this could have been helped, considering it is a fairly complicated theme, but since you said it was something you were trying to do I thought I'd mention that. The only other thing that bothered me was the short segment of Bell's dialogue. I'm no "sub purist", but that part seemed especially jarring and untimely- to be brutally honest it made me wince. It simply didn't gel well with the rest of the video. Let me say again though that I'm holding onto this video, and will be checking your site from time to time for more video goodness. You've definitely impressed me with this.

Himiko
Org Profile

My new mvid :D

Post by Himiko » Tue Aug 06, 2002 2:02 am

I'm always wantin new reviews for my new creation ^_^ Check it out plz :D

http://animemusicvideos.org/legacy/video.php?v=2664

Arigato :D

DeeTee
Org Profile

Review 2: Soultaker's Mission

Post by DeeTee » Tue Aug 06, 2002 2:06 am

I can review action too. What Jackie Chan fan can't?
The "hypodermic studios" bit at the beining featured what was definitely the most interesting opening music I've heard in a while.
The music used for the video itself was a good choice: Toe tappingly catchy, with both slow and fast segments, allowing you variety in scenes, which you used well. That said, the strobe-like (I don't know the technical term) flashes of white (or of another scene overlapping the first) was overdone at many points. The sheer number of scene clips often shown in a matter of seconds was quite a sensory overload as well. At many points you jumped about too much for me to register what had just happened, other than "something dark" or "something colorful".

Strangely enough I got a different vibe for the video further down the line. After the 2:50 mark I felt that the quality vastly improved. The number of scene jumps you used after that point felt like just the right amount, and I was able to see what was going on better. I would definitely work at it though. This was all right, but the first part could have been much better I feel.

silver_moon
Org Profile

Post by silver_moon » Tue Aug 06, 2002 2:16 am

DeeTee - Thanks for the comments, and just because you already wrote a post longer than most reviews I get, I'm really looking forward to that review :wink:
not quite on the level of Brian Caldwell mind you, but definitely close (and Brian's certifiably insane, so there
Erm... I think you meant to say Kevin Caldwell *cough* but that's OK 8) Yeah, the guy's insane with his lip sync, and personally I really think I suck at it lip syncing anything (I get easily frustrated with it) but people who've reviewed my vid so far seem to like how I did it... I still don't really know why.
The only other thing that bothered me was the short segment of Bell's dialogue. I'm no "sub purist", but that part seemed especially jarring and untimely- to be brutally honest it made me wince.
I didn't like Bell's voice in the movie, and listening to it over and over to try and time scenes to it was infuriating. But, I didn't know how to take the subtitles from the DVD so I could use her Japanese voice instead and I really had no other ideas for that part. At first I was going to do some random scenes at that part but I was running out of Belldandy scenes and doing it looked terrible, so I stuck in some voices and hoped it would turn out alright... I have mixed feelings about that section of the video.

I'll wait to reply more to your comments until you post your review, then I'll probably end up jabbering for a long, long time 8)
ImageImage

Return to “Works in Progress”